RN Frigates: Type 31 Inspiration Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
ivorthediver

Re: RN Frigates: Type 31

Unread post by ivorthediver »

ok Harry I have asked the question ref Seahawk ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:41 pm But what should we read into the passage (bolded by me), taken from an article in The Engineer By Stuart Nathan 12th September 2019 12:53 pm :-
---------------------------------
The crew complement will be 100 to 160 sailors, and each ship will be able to accommodate an AW–10 Merlin or MH-60 Seahawk helicopter in an on-board hanger which will also be able to house light aircraft and UAVs.
Where does an MH-60 Seahawk helicopter feature in the scheme of things when we have Merlins and Wildcats?
Can only offer:
"The Sikorsky SH-60/MH-60 Seahawk is a twin turboshaft engine, multi-mission United States Navy helicopter based on the United States Army UH-60 Black Hawk and a member of the Sikorsky S-70 family. The most significant modifications are the folding main rotor and a hinged tail to reduce its footprint aboard ships" - Making it suitable for 'small' ships and having 'firepower.'
Also see - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2fG33GlkGg - which if not staged makes it a bit long in the tooth anyway?
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

ivorthediver wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:44 pm ok Harry I have asked the question ref Seahawk ;)
To whom have you asked the Q - Ivor?
Little h
Little h

Pelican wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:58 pm
Little h wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:41 pm But what should we read into the passage (bolded by me), taken from an article in The Engineer By Stuart Nathan 12th September 2019 12:53 pm :-
The crew complement will be 100 to 160 sailors, and each ship will be able to accommodate an AW–10 Merlin or MH-60 Seahawk helicopter in an on-board hanger which will also be able to house light aircraft and UAVs.
Where does an MH-60 Seahawk helicopter feature in the scheme of things when we have Merlins and Wildcats?
Can only offer:
"The Sikorsky SH-60/MH-60 Seahawk is a twin turboshaft engine, multi-mission United States Navy helicopter based on the United States Army UH-60 Black Hawk and a member of the Sikorsky S-70 family. The most significant modifications are the folding main rotor and a hinged tail to reduce its footprint aboard ships" - Making it suitable for 'small' ships and having 'firepower.'
Also see - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2fG33GlkGg - which if not staged makes it a bit long in the tooth anyway?
Thanks for response David. I had already aquainted myself with some details about the Seahawk ... but ... my Q is deeper than the performance and purpose of this helicopter; more - why does a Type 31 require the ability to accommodate one as opposed to another pre-existing RN type.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

I will be the first to admit that I am not fully up to date but the Merlins appear to be mainly to transport the Marines + similar transport duties and sub hunting whereas these MH choppers certainly have 'fire power.'
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Little h

Pelican wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:46 pm I will be the first to admit that I am not fully up to date but the Merlins appear to be mainly to transport the Marines + similar transport duties and sub hunting whereas these MH choppers certainly have 'fire power.'
and the RN's Wildcat? or should that be the RN Wildcats?
Little h
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Little h wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:44 pm
ivorthediver wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:44 pm ok Harry I have asked the question ref Seahawk ;)
To whom have you asked the Q - Ivor?
The Engineer website but of course ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:18 pm
Pelican wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:46 pm I will be the first to admit that I am not fully up to date but the Merlins appear to be mainly to transport the Marines + similar transport duties and sub hunting whereas these MH choppers certainly have 'fire power.'
and the RN's Wildcat? or should that be the RN Wildcats?
Ah yes there was one buzzing around PoW yesterday during her entry to Pompey.
For info her details - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/the-equipm ... rs/wildcat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blackbat242

Unread post by Blackbat242 »

Little h wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:51 pm But what should we read into the passage (bolded by me), taken from an article in The Engineer By Stuart Nathan 12th September 2019 12:53 pm :-

My Q is deeper than the performance and purpose of this helicopter; more - why does a Type 31 require the ability to accommodate one as opposed to another pre-existing RN type.
I believe that the statement was intended to show the upper range of what the T31's flight deck & hangar could support, not to be an exhaustive list of the only manned helos it could support - nor to indicate anything about planned future helo fleets.

After all - wouldn't it be prudent to make sure your ships could operate the most-numerous shipboard helos of your biggest ally (who just happens to operate the world's biggest fleet) ?
SGT USMC '81-'89 VMA(AW)-121, VMA(AW)-242, CV-61 AIMD
Little h

Blackbat242 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:04 am
Little h wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:51 pm But what should we read into the passage (bolded by me), taken from an article in The Engineer By Stuart Nathan 12th September 2019 12:53 pm :-

My Q is deeper than the performance and purpose of this helicopter; more - why does a Type 31 require the ability to accommodate one as opposed to another pre-existing RN type.
I believe that the statement was intended to show the upper range of what the T31's flight deck & hangar could support, not to be an exhaustive list of the only manned helos it could support - nor to indicate anything about planned future helo fleets.

After all - wouldn't it be prudent to make sure your ships could operate the most-numerous shipboard helos of your biggest ally (who just happens to operate the world's biggest fleet) ?
An interesting take on the subject Jon!

Re. I believe that the statement was intended to show the upper range of what the T31's flight deck & hangar could support
- Surely if the flight deck can operate the Merlin (& variants) and the hangar can accommodate the Merlin (& variants) then an MH-60 Skyhawk should not present a problem for the 'proposed' Type 31.

Re. nor to indicate anything about planned future helo fleets.
- I would hope not; especially after the extensive refurb/rework programme on RN & RAF Merlins to provide the RN with their ASW and Junglie portfolio

Re. After all - wouldn't it be prudent to make sure your ships could operate the most-numerous shipboard helos of your biggest ally (who just happens to operate the world's biggest fleet) ?
- Undeniably the correct approach for any ally. However, I think the RN do display a considerable willingness to operate as many different helo types as possible on board the 'relatively small number of ships' in our modern, albeit diminutive navy ;)
Little h
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”