Books by Patrick O' Brian

Let other members know of a good book that you are reading in this section
ivorthediver

Books by Patrick O' Brian

Unread post by ivorthediver »

I am not an avid book worm , but whilst Driving I listen to Audiobooks which I download from Amazon and play on my Apple devices , which ever is nearest at the time .

These's Action and adventure Category books are set in the late 1700/ early 1800 and depict adventures of the hero Captain Jack Aubrey and his ships Surgeon Dr Steven Maturin amongst all the background histories we have heard before but set as characters amidst these actions .

The Captain is a JACK The LAD of a captain and his friend a spy cum Surgeon and the ships company and the art of sailing is actively displayed in every aspect of handling a naval Frigate amongst other vessels and all the storey line is within olde English naval diction all of which appeals to me along with precise detail by a writer who knows his art blindfolded ..

So far I have read / listened to 7 books all of which last about 13hrs each and there are about 30 books to listen to ......so I will be aloft in the rigging for a while yet I wagger

The author is now crossed the bar sadly but his knowledge of sailing, rigging, and ships of the line is I sense........... bottomless and even if you have but one grain of salt in your blood......... I heartily commend these books to all who love this era
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Vegaskip

Re: Books by Patrick O' Brian

Unread post by Vegaskip »

Much better with Alexander Kent and the Richard Bolitho books. I too have most of them on Audible
Jim
ivorthediver

And there was I thinking I was unique Jim , I must admit I enjoy Audible a lot and find them great to listen to without being distracted .
I dont fully understand all the nautical references made, unlike you Jim , but the detail I mop up like a sponge and revel in the old English dialect spoken and often chuckle at the bastardised colloquial expressions used .

I will take your advice when I become bored with the series , but that may be a little while yet Jim , but thanks
Vegaskip

I had a Wilber Smith while in hospital. A lot of these I 'read' years ago.
Jim
ivorthediver

Ah I was a Clive Cussler addict , but drifted away over the passage of time .
Vegaskip

Brian Callison. Alastair McLean, Jeffery Jenkins. Douglas Reeman. Monseratt. A world to explore!
Jim
ivorthediver

I also have read most of Douglas Reeman , very good books indeed and thoroughly enjoyed them all but the calling on sailing vessels lead me to Patrick O'Brian and certainly not disappointed .,and very entertaining in every respect .
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

Let us not forget one of the finest fictional RN characters of all: Hornblower by C.S. Forester!! My dad "introduced" me to him when I was a kid, and I could smell and feel the salt air blowing thru the rigging. Simply excellent reading from Middie to Admiral; enjoyable all the way.

I bought the whole series, in paperback, several years ago. The tales are just as good as I remembered.... :D DFO
ivorthediver

Couldn't agree more :idea: which is why I bought the set of Television episodes of 6 Hornblower DVD films :D :!:
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

ivorthediver wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:40 pm I also have read most of Douglas Reeman , very good books indeed and thoroughly enjoyed them all but the calling on sailing vessels lead me to Patrick O'Brian and certainly not disappointed .,and very entertaining in every respect .
Ivor , Try Alexander Kent ...... fantastic under sail author also wrote all the Douglas Reeman books. Kent's first was "TO GLORY WE STEER" and that got me hooked.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Book Club”