Books by Patrick O' Brian

Let other members know of a good book that you are reading in this section
ivorthediver

Re: Books by Patrick O' Brian

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Ok will give it a try when I have read the ones I have yet to read .thanks Dave .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

Ivor, those Hornblower TV movies are really very well done. Ioan Gruffudd was Hornblower. His portrayal took viewers to that time and locale. To me these films were the most enjoyable since the Brit made Sherlock Holmes tv series. :D DFO
ivorthediver

You see ......we are not that different are we .....

I adore period sailing dramas like those , and cant get enough of them so be truthful , but there are sadly to few .

I had hoped that the new debut of Russel Crow in the" Far Side of the World" was heralding a new series of these[ and at that point was unaware of the author and his notoriety] ... as he seemed tailor made for the part , and lets face it there were enough books to take a script from and at present enough wooden vessels that they could model as "HMS Surprise" but also it wasn't to be .

But what few there are I seemed to have viewed , so will have to "make do and mend "so to speak.

I must admit to being on the edges of an anorak viewer , and many of my well meaning relations have duplicated my range with further copies of box sets of Naval films they knew I liked .

I have also amassed a few Imperial War Museum ex Naval instruction films and wartime documentary films so can variate the mix when the need arises , but alas these are not Sailing vessels but metal vessels .

I encourage our resident Artist,"Jim the Brush" where possible ,who has created some masterful paintings of this era which he knows I will drawl over but thats as far as I can satisfy the lust .....not forgetting Jims [ the Mod ] brilliant thread on the" Tall Ships Race" so should be thankful for small mercies :oops:
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

For the past 2 weeks (available on BBC Sounds, new name for iPlayer radio) they have been serialising Patrick O'Bs book Fortunes of War which apart from a surfeit of bellowing, has actually been quite good altho Jack Aubrey has far too much sang froid for the character he portrays! last episode next sunday.

Sunday play, afternoon, starts at either 1430 or 1500, not sure which but any paper will tell you, Radio 4.
ivorthediver

Thanks Tim , I already have that one downloaded and awaiting to be heard , but thanks for the heads up on this .

I listen to about a chapter each day when out alone in the car , so thats about three books ahead of where I am at present as I listen to them in order of release [ which I make as book 22] and I am on number 9 at present ....so enjoy :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Book Club”