Littoral Combat Ships (LCS)

Add your posts about the US Navy in this section
designeraccd

Littoral Combat Ships (LCS)

Unread post by designeraccd »

Just what US taxpayer$ need: more "PORK"... :x

"Congress to buy 3 more LCS than the Navy needs, but gut funding for sensors that make them valuable
[/b

By: David B. Larter  

WASHINGTON — Congress loves buying littoral combat ships, but when it comes to the packages of sensors and systems that make the ships useful, lawmakers have been less enthusiastic.
In the 2019 Defense Department funding bill that just left the conference committee, lawmakers have funded a 33rd, 34th and 35th littoral combat ship, three more than the 32-ship requirement set by the Navy. But when it comes to the mission modules destined to make each ship either a mine sweeper, submarine hunter or small surface combatant, that funding has been slashed.

Appropriators cut all funding in 2019 for the anti-submarine warfare package, a variable-depth sonar and a multifunction towed array system that the Navy was aiming to have declared operational next year, citing only that the funding was “ahead of need." The National Defense Authorization Act had authorized about $7.4 million, still well below the $57.3 million requested by the Navy, citing delays in testing various components. NONE of them actually work reliably or quickly.
Appropriators are also poised to half the requested funding for the surface warfare package and cut nearly $25.25 million from the minesweeping package, which equates to about a 21 percent cut from the requested and authorized $124.1 million.

Nor are this year’s cuts the only time appropriators have gone after the mission modules. A review of appropriations bills dating back to fiscal 2015 shows that appropriators have cut funding for mission modules every single year, and in 2018 took big hacks out of each funding line associated with the modules.
Newly reorganized littoral combat ship program faces its first big test in 2019

The program is looking to shake off years of criticism and start performing missions that have been underserved.

The annual cutting spree has created a baffling cycle of inanity wherein Congress, unhappy with the development of the modules falling behind schedule, will cut funding and cause development to fall further behind schedule, according to a source familiar with the details of the impact of the cuts who spoke on background. All this while Congress continues to pump money into building ships without any of the mission packages having achieved what’s known as initial operating capability, meaning the equipment is ready to deploy in some capacity.

(The surface warfare version has IOC-ed some initial capabilities but is adding a Longbow Hellfire missile system that will be delayed with cuts, the source said.) Longbow is a GR8 attack helo anti-tank weapon but as a SSM???????

That means that with 15 of the currently funded 32 ships already delivered to the fleet, not one of them can deploy with a fully capable package of sensors for which the ship was built in the first place — a situation that doesn’t have a clear end state while the programs are caught in a sucking vortex of cuts and delays.

“This is a prime example of program issues causing congressional cuts which lead to further delays, then more cuts in a vicious cycle," said Thomas Callender, a retired submarine officer and analyst with The Heritage Foundation."

The well deserved nickname for these tubs is: LITTLE CRAPPY SHIP......how true at @ $450-500 million each, with 1-57mm, 2 30mm, IMhO........ :roll: DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Re: Littoral Combat Ship (LCS)

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Good Grief Dennis , it makes you wonder if they have been over here talking to our politicians , dont you think . :?:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
designeraccd

Gee...I was HOPING the RN might want them!! Or French, or Germans, anyone!!!!? These expen$ive floating POS's are still looking for some mission they can fulfill; can you imagine a $500 millyun minesweeper? Oh....wait, that "module" doesn't really work either....... :x

I gue$$ the one thing they would be good at is to be TARGET$ for a couple of Navies. DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Sorry Dennis we couldn't afford Target ships either :!: we are still trying to equip our depleted Navy with warships that we can utilise , however we won't look any gift horse in the mouth ........lets face it we cant afford to either :!:......but if your offering ;)
designeraccd

I would if I could!!!!!!!!!!!! IMO continuation of these useless tubs is pure PORK for Alabama and N. Wisconsin... DFO
ivorthediver

Not sure of the analogy Dennis , but I'm no vegetarian :D
Last edited by ivorthediver on Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
designeraccd

PORK is USese for wa$teful, u$ele$$ $pending. These 2 classes of hi-priced target tubs meet that definition...... :x DFO

Note the 2 "tubs" tacked on to FREEDOM's stern...to correct a uneven flotation issue...just brilliant.
ivorthediver

And there was me thinking that they were wheely bins instead of Gash shuts :o

Not heard of that expression before Dennis ;)
DonBoyer

Unread post by DonBoyer »

Where's our three old buddies who insisted for years these ships would be the salvation of navies everywhere? I miss the laughs!
Don G. Boyer

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled."(Richard Feynman)
designeraccd

What was the Lonny Donegan song...My Ol Man's a????? Dustman?? :lol:

They might be good for storing trash, but........... DFO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “United States Navy”