Littoral Combat Ships (LCS)

Add your posts about the US Navy in this section
Pelican

Re: Littoral Combat Ships (LCS)

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

LCS The Grift That Keeps On Giving

LCS problems continue with a a Contractor-based maintenance plan that prevent sailors from performing even routine services to ships systems.

See - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo_dohzWEIw&t=81s
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

Thi$ fanta$tic PO$ LC$ "program" is simply beyond $TUPIDITY! How can this u$ele$$ program be continued? Ships that are maybe combat capable against rowboats that $uck $$$$$$$$$ every day.

Not a single Admiral/decision maker has EVER been held accountable, AFAIK. Just simply luvleeeeeeee......NOT

Meanwhile the (now) xtra $13 billyunn in contractor maint. co$t$ could have.........bought us another massive, defect ridden ED$EL.......err FORD. The U$N is rapidly approaching the corrupt status of the chinese navy of 1870s-1890s.

My tax dollar$ going in the toilet, but no doubt making some undeserving people wealthy. :x DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Littoral combat ships in Mayport make the most of a year of restricted operations

NAVAL STATION MAYPORT, Fla. — The Littoral Combat Ship Squadron 2 (LCSRON 2) is, in one way, coming off a rough patch: Two of its Freedom-variant LCSs suffered major engineering failures at sea in 2020 and had to limp home from deployments to U.S. Southern Command. As the U.S. Navy realized the severity of a combining gear flaw in the propulsion system, it stopped accepting deliveries of new ships from Lockheed Martin early this year and imposed operating restrictions on the ships already in the fleet to avoid another at-sea breakdown.

But, the squadron commodore said, the formation also has seen its greatest operational achievements during that same time, conducting seven successful deployments to U.S. 4th Fleet that took hundreds of millions of dollars’ worth of drugs off the market, interrupted trafficking networks across SOUTHCOM, supported partners throughout Central and South America and pushed back against excessive maritime claims.

Continues at - https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2021/ ... -MmmTJ7goI

Attached - The Freedom-variant littoral combat ships USS Sioux City (LCS 11), USS Wichita (LCS 13), USS Billings (LCS 15), and their embarked aviation detachments participate in a maritime training exercise, July 4, 2021. This exercise marks the first time three Freedom-variant littoral combat ships are deployed and operating together. (MC2 Marianne Guemo/US Navy)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The future Savannah (LCS-28) is floated down the Mobile River on Sept. 2, 2020, just days after it was christened at the Austal USA shipyard. Austal USA photo.

The Navy commissioned USS Savannah (LCS-28) on Saturday in Brunswick, Ga., the sea service announced.

The ship is the 14th Independence-class Littoral Combat Ship to enter the fleet, according to a news release from the Navy. It is the sixth ship to bear the name Savannah.

The ship was delivered to the Navy by Austal USA in June 2021. Austral constructed Savannah at its Mobile, Ala., shipyard in fewer than three years, according to a news release from the company.

While the ship was commissioned in Brunswick, it will be homeported at Naval Base San Diego, Calif. It is sponsored by Dianne Davison Isakson, the wife of the late Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.).

Isakson, as well as her daughter, gave the first order for manning the ship. They were joined by Rep. Earl Carter (R-Ga.), Meredith Berger, who is performing the duties of the under secretary of the Navy, Naval Air Systems Command chief Vice Adm. Carl Chebi, Mayor of Savannah Van Johnson and Larry Ryder, the vice president of business development and external affairs at Austal USA.

Savannah’s namesake is the city in Georgia, which has played a role in the country’s naval history, Secretary of the Navy Carlos Del Toro said in the release.

“I have no doubt the Sailors of USS Savannah (LCS 28) will carry on the fighting spirit of this city and will play an important role in the defense of our nation and maritime freedom,” Del Toro said.

Source USNI News
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

More Bad News for U.S. Littoral Combat Ships: Hull Cracks That Drastically Limit Speed

The cracks are created if the ship travels less than half its maximum speed or in turbulent seas.

See - popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a39970022/littoral-combat-ships-suffer-hull-cracks/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Austal Shipyard Execs Charged With Massive Fraud in LCS Program

https://www.oldsaltblog.com/2023/04/aus ... more-60366
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

USS Cleveland, Last Freedom Class LCS, Douses Tugboat in Dramatic Side Launch

https://www.oldsaltblog.com/2023/04/uss ... more-60386
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

LCS USS Sioux City, (We Hardly Knew You,) Decommissioned After Less Than Five Years

The sad saga of the Littoral Combat Ships (LCS) is winding down. The small surface vessels, built in two classes, and designed for operations near shore, were intended to be inexpensive and flexible. Instead, they proved to be unreliable, relatively costly, and plagued by technical problems. Worse yet, the Pentagon concluded that the ships were not “survivable in a hostile combat environment” and that neither ship class could withstand the Navy’s full ship shock trials.
Continues at - https://www.oldsaltblog.com/2023/08/lcs ... more-60799
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Confessions of a Former LCS Champion

Just as only Nixon could go to China, perhaps only someone who has written more than a dozen articles in favor of littoral combat ships (LCS) can say what went wrong with them. Foreign observers and the other critics have commented on the problems with the LCS program for years while missing the deeper issues that ultimately resulted in its failure. Though the mission modules have taken a fair amount of criticism, the systemic failures of the LCS program were primarily because of:
Continues at - https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedi ... nWuk1bXiUc

* Note links to 3 other articles on LCS at foot of article.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “United States Navy”