RN Frigates: Type 15 Anti Submarine Conversions

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
timlewin

Re: RN Frigates: Type 15 Anti Submarine Conversions

Unread post by timlewin »

thanks Jim, super pics. I see she has the same "training" bridge as Urchin, nothing like introducing the cadets to the oggin by copping a faceful
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

My old ship, HMS Undaunted, ended her days as a target, first by Sea Slug missile then later, by torpedo.

Jim

undaunted-target.jpg
damage from sea slug 2.jpg
damage from sea slug 1.jpg
Undaunted after sea slug.JPG
file22137.jpg
file22152.jpg
file22189.jpg
file22190.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Never mind Jim , I'm sure the good memories were worth there weight i'm sure
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Brian James

Re: Royal Navy Frigates: Type 15 Anti Submarine Conversions

Unread post by Brian James »

Type 15 Fast ASW Frigate (Ex V Class Destroyer) HMS Vigilant pictured from HMS Illustrious,1953.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Re: Royal Navy Frigates: Type 15 Anti Submarine Conversions

Unread post by Brian James »

Type 15 ASW Frigate HMS Virago pictured conducting a RAS procedure with HMS Illustrious during Exercise Mariner '53..Virago was converted from a V Class Destroyer in 1951/52......She was transferred to the Eastern Fleet in January 1945. On March 26th 1945 she, along with the Destroyers Saumarez, Volage, and Vigilant, intercepted a Japanese supply convoy east of Khota Andaman, Andaman Islands in the Indian Ocean. She and Vigilant sank the Japanese submarine chaser CH-34.
She patrolled the Malacca Strait and supported Operation Dracula off the coast of Burma in late April 1945 as part of the 21st Aircraft Carrier Squadron. Virago subsequently participated in the Battle of the Malacca Strait with Saumarez, Verulam, Venus and Vigilant which culminated in the sinking of the Japanese Heavy Cruiser Haguro in the early morning of May 16th 1945. This was a textbook Destroyer night action, and was the last naval gun battle of the Second World War. Later in the afternoon of May 16th, Virago was ordered to refuel from the carrier HMS Hunter. As the two ships closed, they were suddenly bombed by Japanese aircraft in a surprise attack and splinters from a near miss killed five of Virago's crew (Hunter was unscathed). These were the only casualties on board Virago during the entire war. Virago subsequently participated in preparations for Operation Zipper (the invasion of Malaya) in July/August 1945, and its eventual execution as a reoccupation manoeuvre in September 1945 following the surrender of Japan. Based in Hong Kong with the British Pacific Fleet after VJ day, Virago returned to Chatham, Kent in December 1945.
timlewin

Virago and her sister Venus ended up in the Dartmouth Training Squadron, DTS, under the command of Captain Terry Lewin in 1961-3 with others of the T15 class;-
Urchin
Wizard
Vigilant
Roebuck
Venus
virago
Tenby
Torquay
Although not all at the same time, Venus and virago were used mainly for seaman training, the others for Dartmouth cadets.

Happy times
tim
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

The top left attachment of Vigilant when magnified shows the porthole at the after end of the Tiffy's mess on the bulkhead at the forr'd end of the Limbo space. Vigilant, I think was the only Type 15 with this porthole. The story is that during conversion an enterprising Tiffy drew the marks for the porthole.
timlewin

they were fine ships, built to a budget, semi-disposable in what was a real emergency but filled a long and useful role, and for us (me included for my little exposure) provided a living link to dangers of the sea and violence of the enemy they were thrown into service against.
tim
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Wakeful's Ships Company 2nd Dec 1953
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

WAKEFUL

The R.N. rescuing an USAF rescue plane.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”