Today

Add information about events and happenings here
Pelican

Today

Unread post by Pelican »

Palidrome & Ambigram
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Re: Today

Unread post by Pelican »

Well yesterday actually.

A Force For Good

ROYAL TOURNAMENT, ENDED

On this day, 2 August 1999, the Royal Tournament was ended by the Blair government under the usual excuse of "reducing costs", even though the positive public relations and publicity for the British military would more than pay for themselves!
It was the first and oldest Military Tattoo in the world. It was held every summer, with the exception of the war years, from 1880 to 1999. It was originally performed at the Agricultural Hall, Islington. It moved to the Earls Court Exhibition Centre in 1906, and would be broadcast each year on television.
The Edinburgh Tattoo is, thankfully, still upholding the flag for the British Armed Forces. It was first begun on Edinburgh Castle esplanade in 1950, and is between 5-27 August this year.

Pic from https://www.royaltournament.org/1999
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Re: Today

Unread post by Pelican »

On this day, 1945 - VEDAY- guns fell silent, lights went on and Britons celebrated the total defeat of Nazi Germany and her allies.

It was a day of celebration but also reflection, as millions had lost their lives or loved ones. And Japan remained to be defeated in the Pacific.
See - https://twitter.com/RoyalNavy/status/16 ... 5921076225
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Diary of Events”