NATO - The Ukraine

Make your posts about Naval, together with Joint and Inter Service Execises on this thread. NATO, SEATO, etc.
Pelican

Re: NATO - The Ukraine

Unread post by Pelican »

THE UKRAINE & NATO

A Tweet thread on the subject - https://twitter.com/navalhistorian/stat ... 7130562562
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Here we take a brief overview of the current naval situation following the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

In moves that were obvious for the world to see since early 2022, the Russian were pre-positioning naval units ahead of their planned attack on Ukraine. Drawing in ships from the Baltic, Northern and Pacific fleet they have placed their forces in a way that would complicate any attempt by NATO navies to intervene. Centred on their Slava class cruisers, they have 3 Surface Action Groups (SAG) ready, in the Black Sea is the Moskva and the eastern Mediterranean are the Varyag and Marshall Ustinov supported by frigates and conventional submarines.

During the initial attack on Ukraine, submarine-launched cruise missiles were likely fired from the Black Sea Fleet. There has been no report so far of an amphibious landing on the coastline despite the positioning of amphibious vessels. These may be employed later at places of opportunity to reinforce attacks by the Russian Army. The cruiser RFS Moskva and corvette RFS Vasiliy Bykov used naval gunfire to attack the Ukrainian garrison on Snake Island about 100 km to the south of Odesa, killing the brave defenders that refused to surrender.

A Turkish cargo ship MV Yasa Jupiter was caught in the crossfire, suffering minor damage off the coast of Odesa and commercial shipping in the Black Sea shipping has almost come to a halt. The region is a major grain producer and the interruption to marine traffic is already impacting world food prices.

Although of no value right now, it should be noted that last year Britain approved a £1.5Bn loan to Ukraine buy military equipment as was in the process of preparing two ex-RN minehunters for transfer. In addition, the first of a planned class of 8 Fast Attack Craft was to be built at Rosyth for the Ukrainian Navy. Babcock were to support the development of their naval shore facilities and possibly construct a Type 31 frigate. Anti-ship missiles in the form of maritime Brimstone were also promised to the Ukrainians.

Sending warships into the Black Sea obviously implies a greater risk than usual due to the proximity of an active combat zone. No major NATO warships have entered the Black Sea since January and the alliance appears to lack a meaningful Black Sea strategy,
Ukraine has asked Turkey to close the Bosphorus and Dardanelles straits to Russian ships and submarines. This puts the Turks in a difficult position and they are unlikely to comply. Diplomatically they have previously tried to have their cake and eat it as a NATO member but maintaining close ties to Russia. In the short term, it would make little difference as the Russians vastly outmatch the Ukrainian naval forces in the Black Sea and Sea of Azov.

Continues at - https://www.navylookout.com/situation-r ... n-ukraine/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

UPDATES

2 more merchant ships hit by Russian attacks in Black Sea.
Video and further link at - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 7597486088

UPDATED: Russian Navy Launches Amphibious Assault on Ukraine
See - https://news.usni.org/2022/02/25/russia ... on-ukraine
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

UN urges for safe passage across the Black Sea in wake of merchant ship attacks

See - https://splash247.com/un-urges-for-safe ... p-attacks/
Note - https://splash247.com/tag/ukraine/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

France Seizes Russian Ro/Ro Baltic Leader in English Channel Over Sanctions

See - http://www.oldsaltblog.com/2022/02/fran ... more-58894
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

A VERY OLD CARTOON UPDATED BY Gannet Driver.

Latest Twitter Tweets - https://twitter.com/search?q=%23PutinHi ... cal=trends
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

A couple of Tweets

Japanese owned, Panama-flagged bulk carrier MV Namura Queen.
Not seriously damaged but hole in aft superstructure visible after being struck by projectile off coast of Ukraine.
See - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 6000066560

Another Japanese owned, Panama-flagged bulk carrier, MV Lord Nelson apparently also suffered light damage in the Black Sea - passing west through the Dardanelles today.
See - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 2125376518
greendragon

Unread post by greendragon »

Refugees from Ukraine.
News from the very front a NATO country.

During first 48 hours about 120 000 refugees crossed boundary and is safe in Poland.
Almost all of them are women with little childeren. Men stayed in their country to defend it.
As on today it is 200 000 + refugees.
Poland is well prepared for receiving the refugees. Hundreds of National Guardsmen, police, NGOs and volunteers work on border crossings in receiving points; warm meals are served , medical help if necessary etc.
As counted it took just 1.5 min on PL side to process them and let them go into the country.
First groups have been mostly families of the Ukrainians who work in Poland. It is estimated that officially their number is 1,5 million and unofficially close to 2 mil.
So there has been no problem with these women and children who were picked up by their family members. About 10% only were those of the refugees who had none in Poland.
Bigger problem is on the Ukrainian side. They are not able to allow more people to cross the boundry because some technical problems and it causes some jams .
Hotels, dormitories and private homes receive refugees and feed them for free.
Some women with small kids walked 27 km to get to Poland.

The Polish gvt and just simple citizens welcome the Ukrainians with open hearts.
For one month the refugees may take railroad trains and town communication for free.

Important:
PL Border Guard reported as on SAT (48hrs) that 9000 Ukrainians almost all of them men crossed the boundary and were heading for Ukraine to join its army.
Hats off.

And last but not least:
In the TV coverage it may be watched that some families escaped from the war with their dogs and cats . PL veterinary services said something like they would keep a blind eye on this .

Poland is now designed by EU as a logistic hub for countries who deliver arms to Ukraine.

gd
greendragon

Unread post by greendragon »

Couple of questions have been answered recently.
From the Polish prospective the main and potent ally or even supporter of Russia/Putin was Germany.
It is great relieve that just 48hrs ago the Germans joined other countries in a common front against Russia agression and more important their far reaching imperialistc objectives.
From my seat I can see Germans as nation which started with nazism and now live quaiet life in "state pacifism".
Anyway, it has been chenged recently and their sins should be "forgotten and forgiven" - as signalled a HM carrier to apologies of a destroyer who fired AA salvo at the side of the carrier during heat of battle.

I must spoil a little bit your mood (ha, ha)- or I am rather sure make you laughing - while sipping morning coffe.
Couple of months ago a top Russian official voiced an opinion that the West is led by "Anglosaxon countries" which are bad, russophobia sick nations etc.
I have been always watching the UK reaction to all the cases of Russian agressiveness and I am absolutely sure your officials :PMs, DoD, Foreign Secs always called everything by name and did not hesitated criticizing Rusians in sharp words.
So apparently you guys in the UK, USofA , Canada, Aussies are pretty bad people.
Poland is next on their list : as Putin has said we the Polish have their lands since XVIII century and they will be taken back "sooner or later".

gd
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy ship ‘undergoing routine training’ as tanker moves towards Orkney
February 27, 2022

NS Champion. (John Longo / Marine Traffic)
The Russian oil tanker, NS Champion, appears to be making its way back towards Orkney this evening.

The ship has been anchored in an area to the south-east of the islands since this morning but now shipping tracking websites show the vessel back on the move.

A Royal Navy ship, HMS Severn, is also currently in Scapa Flow, prompting speculation that it could be in response to the oil tanker.

However, an MoD spokesperson said: “We can confirm we have a vessel in the area undergoing routine training.”

The vessel, which belongs to the Russian government-owned shipping giant, Sovcomflot (SCF Group), has been at the centre of calls for its access to Scapa Flow and Flotta be blocked after Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.

The oil tanker is scheduled to visit Flotta on Tuesday, March 1, for crude oil.

Continues with photo at - https://www.orcadian.co.uk/royal-navy-s ... ds-orkney/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “International Developments and Joint Service Exercises”