RN Protected Cruisers: Topaze Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Brian James

RN Protected Cruisers: Topaze Class

Unread post by Brian James »

Topaze Class Protected Cruiser HMS Amethyst pictured c 1907...Built at Elswick Naval Works, Armstrong Whitworth & Co Ltd Shipyards. She was launched in 1903 and completed on March 17th 1905, and served during World War I at the Dardanelles and Gallipoli, Mediterranean and the South Atlantic. She was sold for scrap in 1920.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Re: RN Protected Cruisers: Topaze Class

Unread post by Brian James »

Lead Ship, Third Class Protected Cruiser HMS Topaze (sometimes referred to as Gem Class) pictured c 1907.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Re: RN Protected Cruisers: Topaze Class

Unread post by Pelican »

This is a Magic Lantern slide showing the view looking west from the Maze Hill area of Greenwich.

The view encompasses Greenwich reach, Isle of Dogs and the buildings in the foreground are just east of the Royal Naval College.

There is a large Royal Navy ship moored along the south bank, it is July 1909 and elements from the Atlantic and Home Fleets are paying a visit to the Thames lasting just over a week.

The visit lasted from 17th to the 24th July during which there was a vote in the House of Commons on the financing of further Dreadnought Battleships. Luckily in view of the impending Great War the funding was approved for further Battleships.

The ship with the three funnels is HMS Sapphire, a Topaze 3rd class protected Cruiser, built in Jarrow at Palmers shipyard and commissioned in 1905.

On 21st July over one hundred officers and men out of a complement of 340 from the ship were entertained and fed at the Ranger’s Lodge on Blackheath, their hosts were the Mayor and Mayoress of Greenwich and other local worthies.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”