Exercise Cold Response & Subsequent Exercises

Make your posts about Naval, together with Joint and Inter Service Execises on this thread. NATO, SEATO, etc.
Pelican

Re: Exercise Cold Response & Subsequent Exercises

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Prince of Wales

As we finish up Cold Response 22 we’re off to find an even colder harsher environment as we continue to push the boundaries of carrier operations in the Arctic.
Cool photos at - https://twitter.com/HMSPWLS/status/1509804235449372673
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

NATO Joint Force Command Brunssum - JFCBS

Exercise Cold Response 22 is coming to an end today. Thousands of troops from NATO Allies and partners have tested their ability to work together in cold weather conditions across Norway – on land, in the air and at sea during the exercise.
See - https://twitter.com/NATOJFCBS/status/15 ... 3114949653
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

NATO Secretary General launches his Annual Report for 2021

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg launched his annual report for 2021 on Thursday (31 March 2022), which covers all aspects of the work of the Alliance over the past year. On Ukraine, Mr Stoltenberg said NATO had repeatedly warned that Russia was poised to launch a full-fledged invasion of Ukraine: “We prepared for the worst but worked hard for the best. We made every effort to engage Russia in dialogue but Moscow consistently turned us down and ultimately decided to cut diplomatic ties. Last fall, we also took action to heighten the readiness of our forces, deploy more troops to the eastern part of our Alliance and stepped up our support to Ukraine.”

Continues at - https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/news_194034.htm
Which contains links to further NATO information.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

British carrier completes largest Arctic exercise since Cold War

British aircraft carrier HMS Prince of Wales led more than 3,000 sailors and Royal Marines inside the Arctic Circle to demonstrate the UK’s commitment to “safeguarding Europe’s ‘northern flank’ against any aggressor”.
The task force joined more than 27,000 personnel, warships, armour, and air power from more than two dozen NATO allies and partners for Cold Response 2022, the largest military exercise hosted in Norway since the Cold War.

“Britain’s biggest warship, HMS Prince of Wales, led the naval fleet, demonstrating her ability to act as NATO command ship – a role she will hold for the rest of 2022. This was the first time one of the Royal Navy’s Queen Elizabeth-class aircraft carriers has been so far north, with more than 1,000 sailors gaining their first experience of operating in the Arctic region. Royal Navy sailors pushed the boundaries of what the 65,000-tonne flagship can do, as the crew developed new ways of working and coping with temperatures as low as -30 Celsius.”

HMS Prince of Wales commanding officer, Captain Steve Higham, said:
“As we continue to operate in and around the Arctic with our allies and partners, the sailors on HMS Prince of Wales are continuing to learn the skills, and build the experience that allow the Royal Navy to push the boundaries of UK carrier operations in the cold, harsh environment.”

A news release added:
“The ship’s role in the exercise saw her work side-by-side with a breadth of British and Allied air power from F-35B Lightning stealth fighters to the Americans’ unique Osprey MV22 tiltrotor aircraft and Sea Stallion helicopters. The fortnight-long exercise – on top of several months of preparatory training both in the UK and Arctic – allowed the Royal Navy to demonstrate some of its unique capabilities, from launching commando raids from submarines to operating a fifth-generation aircraft carrier in sub-zero conditions for the first time.

The Royal Marines practised and honed new raiding tactics for stealth missions on the treacherous Norwegian coastline, supported by host nation forces, as well as conducting more regular manoeuvres and drills honed over more than half a century as the UK’s experts in Arctic warfare. Meanwhile divers from HMS Grimsby plunged into the icy fjords to neutralise mines and pave the way for task forces to sail through safely.

Royal Navy maritime Wildcat helicopters – normally found over the ocean, not land – joined the usual elements of Commando Helicopter Force to extend capabilities high over Norway. The Wildcat used its Seaspray radar, typically used for hunting suspicious ships, over land for the first time, picking out targets for their comrades, flying alongside the Royal Marines’ regular battlefield ‘eyes in the sky’, 847 Naval Air Squadron. They provided intelligence and firepower to comrades on the ground, assisted by the US Marine Corps’ Cobra gunships.”

Defence Secretary, Ben Wallace MP said:
“I congratulate all those personnel from across the services who have achieved so much in the Arctic over recent weeks. Having visited the exercise myself I can testify to the challenging conditions and their utmost professionalism and good humour in maintaining operations throughout.”

Source UKDJ
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy completes largest Arctic defence exercise since the Cold WarRoyal Navy completes largest Arctic defence exercise since the Cold War

More than 3,000 sailors and Royal Marines were deployed deep inside the Arctic Circle – ashore, at sea and in the skies of Norway – to demonstrate the UK’s commitment to safeguarding Europe’s ‘northern flank’ against any aggressor.

They joined more than 27,000 personnel, warships, armour, and air power from more than two dozen NATO allies and partners for Cold Response 2022, the largest military exercise hosted in Norway since the Cold War.

Britain’s biggest warship, HMS Prince of Wales, led the naval fleet, demonstrating her ability to act as NATO command ship – a role she will hold for the rest of 2022.

This was the first time one of the Royal Navy’s Queen Elizabeth-class aircraft carriers has been so far north, with more than 1,000 sailors gaining their first experience of operating in the Arctic region.

Royal Navy sailors pushed the boundaries of what the 65,000-tonne flagship can do, as the crew developed new ways of working and coping with temperatures as low as -30 Celsius.

HMS Prince of Wales commanding officer, Captain Steve Higham, said:

Continues, including a variety of photos to scroll thru, at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... dN_lxyUj_c
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Ships head home after Arctic operations

See - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... zS1QT1mHO8
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

New missions in the high north are taking US and British aircraft carriers closer to a frigid frontline with Russia

• The US and British navies have intensified their activity in the Arctic in recent years.
• Their renewed focus is underscored by first-of-their-kind carrier deployments to the region.
• The activity comes amid rising tensions with Russia, which is investing heavily in its own Arctic presence.

Continues at <https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/ne ... 48e95d2d78>

Link from Tim.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Naval Developments and Joint Service Exercises”