Paddlewheel Tugboat Eppleton Hall

Outside the UK there are numerous ships preserved as Museum Ships. You can add your favourites to this thread.
Brian James

Paddlewheel Tugboat Eppleton Hall

Unread post by Brian James »

Museum Ship, Paddlewheel Tugboat Eppleton Hall...The only remaining intact example of a Tyne-built Paddle Tug, and one of only two surviving British-built Paddle Tugs (the other being the former Tees Conservancy Commissioners' vessel, PS John H Amos), she is preserved at the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park at San Francisco..Eppleton Hall was built in 1914 at Hepple & Company of South Shields, for the Lambton & Hetton Collieries Ltd. She was designed to tow seagoing colliers from sea to wharf side and back, primarily in the River Wear and to and from the River Tyne. For sailing ships this saved time, while for larger steam and motor vessels it saved navigation and pilotage costs. She was also used to tow newly constructed naval and commercial ships out to the North Sea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbryce1437

Re: Paddlewheel Tugboat Eppleton Hall

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

While still at school, I got a trip out to sea on Eppleton Hall when she was based on the River Wear at Sunderland. She used to tow dumb barges filled with colliery waste out to the three mile limit. After clearing the harbour entrance, I was lying next to the warm funnel feeling very sea sick. You could see the ram rods of the reciprocating engine plodding up and down, with the engineer squirting the oil onto the rods every now and then.
Sunderland was once the largest shipbuilding town in the world and Eppleton Hall assisted many ship launches on the river in her France Fenwick colours.
This photo of her shows her returning to the river with one of the dumb barges - not sure if I was on it then though ;-).

Jim

Eppleton_Hall14.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
limeybiker

Re: Paddlewheel Tugboat Eppleton Hall

Unread post by limeybiker »

I took this photograph of Eppleton Hall and the Poster at San Francisco April 2018, there is quite a good selection of historical ships, all are open to visitors. Well worth a visit if you are in the area.
  • Up Spirits
    It’s Tot Time
    somewhere in the World
Yours Aye
Barry and Sharon Lockyer
Sunny Ocala, FL 34476 USA
http://www.barrylockyer.com/[/b]
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Museum Ships Around the World”