Britain at Low Tide - In Dorset

Navy related media items
Little h

Britain at Low Tide - In Dorset

Unread post by Little h »

Series 2 Episode 2 of 6 Chanel 4 = ! On Now

This episode described thus:-

Tori Herridge and the team reveal the story of the world's first aircraft carriers (??) and discover how this coastline played a vital role in D-Day (a reference to Exercise Smash I suspect ... and perhaps some reference to ExerciseTiger)

Having missed it earlier I am recording the + 1 showing.

Tori (Victoria) Herridge (from Wiki)
Career
Herridge graduated with a first class degree in biology from University College London in 2002. After a master's degree at Imperial College London, she returned to University College London to gain a doctorate with a thesis titled "Dwarf Elephants on Mediterranean Islands: A Natural Experiment in Parallel Evolution". Her research addressed evolution of island mammals during the Pleistocene period and their responses to extreme climate change. She is a founding editor-in-chief at the open access journal Open Quaternary.]
Science communication

Herridge delivered the 2012 Charles Lyell Award lecture at the British Science Festival and co-wrote Who Do You Think You Really Are? for the Natural History Museum. The film was a Premier Award Winner in 2011.

Herridge presented the 2016 Channel 4 series, Walking Through Time and co-presented Britain at Low Tide with archaeologist Alex Langlands
Little h
Little h

Re: Britain at Low Tide - In Dorset

Little h wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:26 pm Series 2 Episode 2 of 6 Chanel 4 = ! On Now

This episode described thus:-

Tori Herridge and the team reveal the story of the world's first aircraft carriers (??) and discover how this coastline played a vital role in D-Day (a reference to Exercise Smash I suspect ... and perhaps some reference to ExerciseTiger)
Yep, Exercise Smash (also discussed in the old forum) and the lives lost in several of the DD (Duplex Drive) Valentine Tanks was fairly heavily featured.

Then there was the section about the world's first aircraft carriers (tenders), so I thought it might be good to have a mention on the new forum about said craft. Here is a short excerpt (& link) from an article produced by Bournemouth University, titled:-

World War One Aircraft Carrier In Poole Harbour
15th December 2014
ban-Q-27510-1000x500 © IWM (Q 27510).jpg

On the other side of Brands Bay, Poole Harbour lay the mysterious metal hulk which was investigated and found to be of riveted construction indicating that this vessel likely pre-dated WW2. Further investigation of the hulk made it clear that we were, in fact, investigating a Seaplane Lighter bringing the total known surviving seaplane lighters in the world to three. It is still unclear as to how the vessel ended up in Poole Harbour wrecked at the end of an abandoned 19th century quay.

The 58’ Towing Lighters were the first purpose built vessels for carrying aircraft, thus gaining them the moniker of the “world’s oldest aircraft carriers”. After much experimentation by the Admiralty Experimental Works, the Navy placed an order with Thornycroft for the construction of four Seaplane Lighters. The vessels were originally designed to work as a floating dry dock, flooding their rear trimming tanks in order to allow the seaplanes (usually a Felixstowe F2a) to be winched into the rear dock before using compressed air to pump out the tanks to allow the vessel to be towed. The Lighters proved to be such a success for the transportation of flying boats, an order for the construction of a further 50 was placed, however by the time the war ended only 36 were completed.

Source; Full article can be found here under Bournemouth University Research
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

I tried to find it on CH 4 but was unable to Harry , but will try again incase it was pilot error
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Little h

Ivor, I missed it on Ch 4 and scrolled up to Ch 4 +1 and recorded the episode .... watched it back this afternoon.

The linked article from Bournemouth University Research is also very interesting.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

BBC SERIES leading up to the Festival of Remembrance and November 11 ceremonies.

Anyone got a tenor?

West End star Alfie Boe learns all about the Seafox mine disposal system as he spent a day aboard HMS Hurworth for a Remembrance season documentary.

The singer – whose clocked up over one million record sales in addition to pulling in punters in top shows such as Les Miserables – features in one of a series of programmes for the BBC about famous people experiencing a taste of what their ancestors went through in the two world wars as part of its coverage leading up to the Festival of Remembrance and November 11 ceremonies.

In Alfie’s case, that meant a day with the Portsmouth-based minehunter for a 21st Century glimpse of what his grandfather endured in WW2 aboard RN minesweepers keeping the sea lanes around the UK clear.

While the Fighting Aces – as Hurworth’s crew like to be called – couldn’t recreate wartime conditions, the tail end of Storm Ali created rough conditions in the Channel for the Hunt-class ship for an authentic flavour of a patrol.

Sailors treated their guest to a tour of the vessel, the ‘tight’ 25-man mess, a fire-fighting demonstration and then got down to the business of minehunting, from scanning the seabed in the ops room to Seafox being prepared for launching to investigate – and possibly destroy – underwater explosive ordnance.

“Having seen Alfie perform on TV, it was a privilege to meet someone so talented in their field. I was also struck by how interested he was about life in the Royal Navy and how we operate – but that’s understandable after hearing about his family’s connections to the service,” said Diver ‘Mac’ McMenemy.

His Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Commander Mark Heward, added: “It was really great so see Alfie interact with the ship’s company and for him to gain an understanding of what life might have been like at sea for his family during the war.

“It was also an opportunity for the ship to demonstrate how important the UK’s mine hunting capability is to the safety of our international trade.”
Hurworth’s crew are spending the autumn training in the UK before heading out to the Gulf in 2019 to take charge of one of two Hunt-class ships based in Bahrain as part of the RN’s permanent mine warfare force in the Middle East.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Forthcoming Films, TV Shows, Exhibitions and Events”