HMS Victory 1/96 scale R/C working model

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
ivorthediver

HMS Victory 1/96 scale R/C working model

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well not much to show you just yet but I have started making the Keel from the scale plans of when she was started in Chatham and launched in C 1765 :-

Length on Gun Deck 186'.0
" of Keel 151' -3 5/8"
Breadth actual 50'-6"
" [ Extreme] 51'-10"
Depth in hold 21'-10"

Displacement 3500 tons

Model Keel made from American white oak [w.i.p.]

I currently have a fair amount of detail and have copied the rib external profiles which will be transposed onto birch ply profiles once I receive the wood on order, and cut out , which is as far as I have managed to get to date ....

This should keep me going for awhile ......
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

Re: HMS Victory 1/96 scale R/C working model

Spurred by posts on the real thing ,....I would just emphasise that this model will be a working sailing model and not a glass case effigy , and as such will not have all the accurate scale rigging / sails / fittings which by its very reduced available size [occupied by servo's and functioning equipment ] size would preclude much of the detail both within and on the model .....so bare that in mind please .

Wood now in hand and slow progress underway .
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Looking forward to seeing it Ivor, have you been to Epping Forest for the wood? Only joking but good luck with her construction.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

apologies for the absence but have a couple of questions for you please

1\Was HMS Victory the first ship to have boat davits on her [ the plan shows a pair on the stb side just in front of the mission mast ] ?
2/ what oil was used in the naval stern lanterns of this period ?..

The model has progressed well and is nearing completion , and I must apologies for not posting earlier but have had a lot of trouble transferring photos
D49C20A4-C403-4903-A69E-DBD06228F441.jpeg
Will add some of the earlier ones of the build over the next few days to acquaint you with this project.

She will have rotating fore and main mast' s actuated by a large servo mounted in the bowels of the hull and this will turn the masts to port or starboard as required ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

ivorthediver wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:58 pm apologies for the absence but have a couple of questions for you please

1\Was HMS Victory the first ship to have boat davits on her [ the plan shows a pair on the stb side just in front of the mission mast ] ?
2/ what oil was used in the naval stern lanterns of this period ?..

The model has progressed well and is nearing completion , and I must apologies for not posting earlier but have had a lot of trouble transferring photos D49C20A4-C403-4903-A69E-DBD06228F441.jpeg

Will add some of the earlier ones of the build over the next few days to acquaint you with this project.

She will have rotating fore and main mast' s actuated by a large servo mounted in the bowels of the hull and this will turn the masts to port or starboard as required ;)
Not sure if the answer to #1 is here
Not sure if the answer to #2 is here

Good work Ivor

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Perfect , thank you for uncovering this for me , very grateful indeed

Next shows the ribs glued into the oak keel having been copied from the plans , cut out to scale on ply sheet and placed in sequence from bow to stern .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Now the time consuming effort of planking the ribs alternating on each side to ensure that the hull does not twist as you do so , and steaming the planks to the correct angle and glueing into place baring in mind the above method of cladding
ivorthediver

B0A55592-409B-48A1-80BA-3E67F99FC1DC.jpeg
Thank God for Map pins and rubber bands
ivorthediver

Next Step .......
57045555-59BF-4942-A861-DE380C7D7BE4_1_201_a.jpeg
Here we see the hull in its basic form ......and the hull thickening sections and the aft hull quarters in its basic form prior to shaping ..
Once completed the entire internal surface of the hull received 2 coats of resin and on completion and is now more robust and heavier . :)
ivorthediver

8D925DB9-DF38-4E6B-95C5-EE90FE1DC530_1_201_a.jpeg
Now she is starting to look like a sailing vessel , and the mast feet are installed , including the brass tube braised onto brass anchor plate with ball bearings in the base to assist in the rotation of the fore and main masts . the mission mast being static, but held in a fixed static base above where the rudder servo / auxiliary motor is fitted.
Next the lower section of the mast has the actuator arms fitted and the arms fitted followed by the connecting piano wire actuators which link into the H\D sail arm servo installed to turn them when completed :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”