Rowing the Atlantic

Add information about events and happenings here
Pelican

Rowing the Atlantic

Unread post by Pelican »

‘Dinger’ Bell Completes 119 Day Unsupported Solo Transatlantic RoW

The BBC reports that former Royal Marine Dave ‘Dinger’ Bell has successfully completed a 119-day, 3,118-mile, solo row the “wrong way” across the North Atlantic. He arrived in Newlyn in Cornwall at about 13:00 BST on Sunday.

His team believes he is one of the first people to successfully row solo, unsupported from New York to continental Europe. Along the way, he was stung by a jellyfish, hit by huge storms, and revealed he has a fear of open water.

On arrival at Newlyn harbor Bell, from Bere Regis in Dorset, said “I’m never doing anything dangerous ever again” and celebrated with a cup of coffee and a plate of chicken and pasta.

Due to changing weather conditions and incoming winds he decided to make landfall at Newlyn, rather than Falmouth as planned.

Bell’s row raised money for the charities the Special Boat Service Association and Rock2Recovery.

See - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-58698593
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
DaveH

Re: Rowing the Atlantic

Unread post by DaveH »

What a legacy Dave , and what a way to conquer a fear . However , like our other hero Mark Ormrod I don't see him sitting back in his armchair yetawhile .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Diary of Events”