Imperial Japanese Navy

Add your posts about the Imperial Japanese Navy in this section
designeraccd

Re: Imperial Japanese Navy

Unread post by designeraccd »

I'm sure our swabby friend will be pleased!! Besides USN, IJN is probably his biggest naval interest. :D

Meanwhile here is a pic of MOGAMI being towed home. This was after she ruined her bow by ramming sister MIKUMA following Midway. Second partially shows her new "flight deck" after Midway repairs. She survived with 6-8" until Suriago Strait, '44.....DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DonBoyer

Unread post by DonBoyer »

Dennis -- Asahi was also a gunnery training ship in 1914, a role she served in until April 1923 when she became a depot and training and repair ship for submarines. The gun turret must come from a period when she was a gunnery trainer before 1923. However, "I know a guy who's an expert on this, let me give him a call." :D
Don G. Boyer

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled."(Richard Feynman)
designeraccd

ASAHI as a repair ship was mystery pic in my latest WARSHIP INTERNATIONAL........ A one off twin turret???? DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DonBoyer

Thanks to Jim for giving the Imperial Navy its own spot and taking the time to merge the threads! We appreciate it. Living out here in the middle of the Pacific, somehow the former Imperial navy is closer to my interests, although you need scuba gear to visit any of their ships...

Continuing on trying to find lesser-known photos from the Imperial navy era...

Submarine I-6 after having been damaged in a collision with destroyer Akatsuki, 2 February 1935.
I-6.DAMAGED BY AKATSUKI.2.8.1935.jpg

Takao, Atago, Chokai, Noshiro and Taiho at Lingga Roads, 2 May 1944, just before the Battle of the Philippine Sea when Taiho would be lost. One of only a few photos that show Taiho, which was in operation for only three months before being lost.
TAKAO.ATAGO.CHOKAI.NOSHIRO.TAIHO.LINGGA.5.2.1944.jpg

Ashigara, probably the most photographed ship in the Imperial Navy due to here pre-war presence at both the Kiel and Portsmouth Naval Reveiws in 1937. Here she is in Surabaya around 1943.
ASHIGARA.1943.jpg
Don G. Boyer

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled."(Richard Feynman)
DonBoyer

DFO -- Red Alert! According to my Japanese source, the guns on Asahi were a one-off twin 3"/40 cal Type 3 unique to Asahi at that time--Ships of the World, Volume 522 he says is the source.
Don G. Boyer

designeraccd

AAAH HA! Mystery solved, sure thought it was a one-off turret, but surprised only 3"!!

A few more not so well known IJN pictures...... :D Anyone besides Don know the original name of PB 224? ;) DFO
DonBoyer

It seems the Imperial Japanese Navy wasn't into the "portrait photography" of their ships that was so common with other navies, even during the war, which is a real shame. They built some beautiful ships, but there aren't anywhere near as many superb shots of them as we "stoonts" of naval history would have liked.

Myoko, pre-war.
Myoko (4).jpg

Mogami in her light cruiser guise on trials.
MOGAMI AS CL ON TRIALS.jpg

Ashigara, because of her participation in the naval reviews at Kiel and Portsmouth in 1937, is probably the most photographed of the Imperial Navy's warships. This photo is at Malta in 1937, en route to Kiel.
ASHIGARA AT MALTA.1937.jpg

Atago on trials.
ATAGO (2).jpg

Nachi on speed trials off Tateyama. She has her original six 4.7" guns and is not yet fully completed.
NACHI 3.jpg
Don G. Boyer

ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well thank God you have Don or we would be scuppered .....thanks again
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

IJNS Mishima pictured c1907,she was the former Ushakov Class Coastal Defence Ironclad Battleship IRN Seniavin captured in the Battle of Tsushima,May 28th 1905.
designeraccd

Three views of the big AA destroyer AKIZUKI.......DFO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Imperial Japanese Navy”