HMCS Oriole

Add your posts about the Canadian Navy in this section
Pelican

HMCS Oriole

Unread post by Pelican »

Oriole has her 100th anniversary this year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Re: HMCS Oriole

Unread post by Pelican »

On August 28th, 2012, Her Majesty's Canadian Ship (HMCS) ORIOLE marks 60 years of service in the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN). The ship's Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Commander Jeff Kibble, hosts events to commemorate her 91st birthday and record-breaking 60 years of RCN service. Past commanding officers, coxswains, and crew attend the unveiling of a commemorative, special-edition coin cast with the ship's original brass to celebrate this monumental event, followed by a day sail.

HMCS Oriole is the oldest commissioned vessel in the RCN. Used for training generations of sailors, the ship has become a well-known RCN ambassador. Originally launched as a private yacht for George Horace Gooderham on June 4, 1921, the 91 year-old sailing ketch was commissioned into the RCN in Halifax on June 19, 1952 and was transferred to the Pacific Fleet in 1954. Oriole preserves the honour of the Royal Navyís HMS Oriole in the Dieppe Battle of 1942. Earlier this year, the ship underwent a comprehensive refit to ensure many more years of service in the RCN.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Canadian Navy”