Pre-Dreadnought Battleships: Borodino Class

Add your posts about the Russian Navy in this section
Brian James

Pre-Dreadnought Battleships: Borodino Class

Unread post by Brian James »

The badly damaged hulk of Borodino Class Pre-Dreadnought Battleship IRN Oryol pictured post the Battle of Tsushima, 1905.She was towed back to Kure Naval Arsenal,rebuilt,rearmed and commissioned as IJNS Iwami.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Re: Pre-Dreadnought Battleships: Borodino Class

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Thanks so much for sharing these Brian , God she had taken a beating.......... I lost track of the hits and splinter damage on her..... makes you wonder if it was worth repairing ,but they obviously did .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

Two of her sisters plus OREL before setting out for the Far East.....DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Busy scenes , and great views Dennis , how many did they have at that time then ?
designeraccd

Four of the 5 ship class went to Far East, never to return. Fifth was the SLAVA, probably most useful/active BB the Russians had in WW1 in the Baltic. Germans finally got her late in the war, using dreadnoughts-plural-versus her! Her old 12" outranged the German big guns!! DFO
ivorthediver

Thanks for those ,and thanks for taking the trouble to find them Dennis , as always very grateful
designeraccd

No problem; I had to find photos of SLAVA several years ago when I finally got around to completing the hull that had been sitting for decades.,...literally. :) Unfortunately bent masts are a almost instant situation on these lil models :( DFO
ivorthediver

Whilst I admire both your tenacity and obvious ability Dennis , I am a practical person who, whilst I enjoy , no revel, in a challenge , also recognise my abilities , and past experience has taught me to avoid things that small wherever possible , but just like everyone else still come a cropper every now and then .

Without sounding a prig or know-all , I am a confident modeller who love's a challenge and get a real buzz on researching and solving what most would see as impossible to do , and even when I have had to build and scrap several attempts at a challenging item, gain great satisfaction at its completion ....but as I say I would never even consider doing models that small :oops:

I take my hat off to those who can , and acknowledge their skill set , but not for me ......

I recall working on aircraft instrumentation dials of the Vulcan at Duxford , and B29 and thinking what a fiddly time consuming job it was and although completed satisfactorily, declined any others [ I should point out that these were Grounded exhibits ] and whilst proud of my achievements it was not my forte :oops:
designeraccd

To each his own! Long ago when I built the TSARAVITCH, was pretty easy. Finally finishing SLAVA decades later, uhh....not so easy! :shock: DFO
ivorthediver

Now theres a job I'm glad I missed, if ever there was one, .... Eh Dennis , I'm sure Keith would agree if he's watching
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Russian Navy”