HMS Sultan

Use this section for UK Naval Shore Bases and Naval Air Stations
jbryce1437

HMS Sultan

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

HMS Sultan is a shore base of the Royal Navy in Gosport. It is the primary engineering training establishment for the Royal Navy.
HMS Sultan was initially RAF Gosport and later the Royal Naval Air Station, HMS Siskin,
It is also home to the Network Rail Advanced Apprenticeship Scheme.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
oldsalt

Re: HMS Sultan

Unread post by oldsalt »

I started the Mechanicians Training Course in Jan 55, for 18 months we lived ion HMS Victory (Pompey Barracks). For the last 6 months of the course we were drafted to Sultan. One of the first tasks was to construct hearths for the Blacksmith shop. The accomodation at Sultan was much better than that in Pompey Barracks. The machine shops were equiped with newer tools. I might add I was in the first Mechanician's course which did the same trade test as the Artificers.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Sultan

HMS Sultan has achieved 65 years as a centre of Marine and Air Engineering excellence. To mark the occasion, we’re spreading the celebrations, across 65 days.
The name HMS Sultan was first given to a 74-gun warship launched in 1775 which took part in the encounter between Vice Admiral Byron and the French Count D'Estaing. The 2nd spent 43 years in reserve ending her days as a target ship. The 3rd, an armoured battleship, launched in 1870, was named in honour of Sultan Abdulaziz of Turkey. She took part in the 1882 bombardment of Alexandria to avenge a massacre of Europeans. Her sheet anchor, shattered by enemy shot, can still be found at HMS Sultan today. The 4th, an iron paddle steamer commissioned on the River Niger in 1876, was sunk within a month. Number 5 was a shore base in Singapore, commissioned in 1940, and destroyed on surrender in 1942, she was re-commissioned on re-occupation in 1945 and continued Service until 1947. Around the same time HMS Sultan II, ran alongside her, providing support to defence and auxiliary in the region. In addition, HMS Sultan III, Penang, Malaysia, provided accounting, farming and agricultural support to personnel.
The current Establishment is the longest serving holder of the name HMS Sultan, it takes its name from an old Ironclad battleship which was used to house artificer apprentices and the Mechanical Training Establishment between 1906 and 1939.

See - https://www.facebook.com/HMS-Sultan-105 ... 1704805525
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

It seems only yesterday when I joined Sultan on it's first day.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The plan to close HMS Sultan has been reversed.

The incoherent plan announced in 2016 to move Sultan's functions (main RN engineering training base) to HMS Collingwood now abandoned.

See - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h ... e-63982754
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “UK Naval Bases Past and Present - Royal Navy”