Sparker's Talk

Post anything relating to Communications on this thread
Pelican

Re: Sparker's Talk

Unread post by Pelican »

MEMORY TIME

Anyone remember this form? Must admit I do not but perhaps it was covered in 5 letter groups?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Pretty close David .It was used for groups ........ do you recall the Synopsis that we read CW for the Navigator daily . Groups of figures that he then translated into the weather. We also used it for One Time Pad [Ssh nuff sed].

It was also pretty useful for detailing Watchbills and Equipment Complans .

Or on a lighter note - Playing Battleships and Destroyers

l
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

For you old fellow AE Kings

Husband: “I changed a light bulb today.
Wife: “ That's it? You changed a light bulb?? I did the laundry,
vacuumed the house, washed windows, cooked three meals, and
the list goes on and on ... And you changed a single light bulb?”
Husband: “Yep, that’s what I did today.
Watch this; I filmed me doing it.”
Click here to watch: https://www.youtube.com/embed/f1BgzIZRf ... r_embedded
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

That was a blast from the past David . Bernie and I met in the "Silver Cross" Remembrance Sunday several years ago . {Silver Cross was the Whitehall Wireless local in Whitehall ].
111120120271 (2).jpg
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

FRED BUNDAY GANGES 1915

Fred Bunday on the right, aged 101, ex CHIEF TEL, Ganges 1915, attending HMSGA Reunion at Pakefield in 2001 with his Minder Harry Larcombe. Later he was given a bottle of Pussers and danced with one of the Blue Coats. He crossed the bar the following year.

[Must make our own [Old Chief Tel feel a bit younger.]
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

DaveH wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:41 pm That was a blast from the past David . Bernie and I met in the "Silver Cross" Remembrance Sunday several years ago . {Silver Cross was the Whitehall Wireless local in Whitehall ]. 111120120271 (2).jpg
Passed back to Tim Dave, Cheers.
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Pelican wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:59 am FRED BUNDAY GANGES 1915

Fred Bunday on the right, aged 101, ex CHIEF TEL, Ganges 1915, attending HMSGA Reunion at Pakefield in 2001 with his Minder Harry Larcombe. Later he was given a bottle of Pussers and danced with one of the Blue Coats. He crossed the bar the following year.

[Must make our own [Old Chief Tel feel a bit younger.]
Sure does David ....... I well remember my old Scpouse mate , who a probably spoke of on the old WNSF , Ronnie Hill who operated Belfast's Radio Shak for many years together with HMS Plymouth's in Scouseland . He mentored me thru Killick at tje STC on Manoel Island and again at the College of Knowledge for RS and we later became fierce run ashore oppose when in the 6th FS Far East , him on CherryB [Charybdis] and me on Lynx . He managed a sixth five before becoming a Recruiter at the Leeds Centre finally retiring with a dicky ticker but never switched off and it is said he was still operating as a Ham WW until he crossed the bar .

I think he will be well remembered by some on Belfast as he spent many years rebuilding her Wirelesss Setup for originality.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

BERNIE BRISTOLL AND HMS BELFAST GO BACK A LONG WAY

Bernie can’t help it, he even translates number plates into dots and dashes as he waits to cross the road.
He first served on board as a Leading Radio Operator, translating complex messages into Morse code during her peace keeping missions in the 1960s.
He returned decades later, and comes aboard every Friday. This time round, he's educating visitors, telling them stories about life at sea and teaching them the basics of Morse code.
"As I come on board, you get that feeling…the smell of the ship, it’s beautiful, it brings back the old memories”
See & listen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

Help tell stories that deserve to be heard. Become a member today. https://www.iwm.org.uk/membership

Also attached a photo taken from the Crowsnest camera taken this evening.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

JOHN JONES SPARKER

John's official number is D114530F - RIP John.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Communications”