Sparker's Talk

Post anything relating to Communications on this thread
Pelican

Re: Sparker's Talk

Unread post by Pelican »

Some members may find these 2 articles of interest.

Criggion Radio
“Although the exact role of Criggion is wreathed in secrecy, it is believed it acts as a contact point for nuclear submarines across the world and was a ‘Category A’ target during the Cold War.”
The Trident Ploughshares website is more explicit and asserts the station commanded Trident submarines, saying:
“The main sites for command and control of Trident submarines include Criggion, Rugby, Anthorn and Inskip. These sites normally consist of radio masts and little else. Command and control systems begin with the Ministry of Defence in Whitehall, London. Actual operational instructions are transmitted from RAF Northwood. However, Trident is also linked into the US command and control system and with various NATO systems.”
Full article at - https://www.subbrit.org.uk/sites/criggion-radio/

The secret masts of Criggion
For 60 years the radio masts at Criggion were a part of the scenery of the Shropshire/Wales border until their demolition in 2003. We look into the role of this station, which played an essential part of Britain's communications in World War Two.
Continues at - http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/content ... ture.shtml
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

A DIT & INFO - PYO Draft, Golly Gosh!

From David Nicholls
This is not a hilarious dit but, as probably the oldest ex matelot on this site, it might be in insight of how things were 60 years ago. I joined my ship as an Ordinary Telegraphist (later an RO3) in Pompey. As a National Service man my pay was less than £2 per week compared to £4 Regular of the same rank would be earning.

One week end I decided to thumb a lift back home, which a common practice in those days, to Norfolk. There is just one obstacle in the way on that journey, London. My plan was to hitch to London, then take the Underground to Epping and start thumbing again on the A11.

I anticipated that most of my lifts would be lorry drivers, so I put on my long socks and stuffed them as full of packets of Duty Free Benson & Hedges cigarettes as I could. Once out of the dock yard I transferred them to the pockets of my Burberry.

My first lift was a small Ford car. Although the driver never let on that he was in the navy, I saw a HMS St Vincent car park pass on the windscreen. The driver was very helpful and drove right up to Tottenham Broadway tube station. He said he would only be able to stop briefly so as soon as we came to a standstill I grabbed my holdall and raincoat off the back seat and jumped out. I caught the tube to Epping without a problem but when I left the station it had started to rain. So I donned my Burberry only to find it had concealed buttons and no belt – Officers Issue! No cigarettes, only a packet of sweets.

My return to Pompey was by train. The midnight train from Norwich which arrived at Liverpool Street Station about 4 in the morning. Then a long walk via Fleet Street to Waterloo station. I crashed on the floor of the Union Jack Club until the 6 o’clock Portsmouth train. When I was back on board I examined the coat and found a name, Sub Lieutenant somebody. So I asked for permission to leave the ship and made my way to the wardroom of HMS St Vincent. The hall porter told me that the officer I was looking for was on a course and to come back at lunch time, which I did. As soon as the Subby saw me he said, “I know what you want”, disappeared and came back with my Burberry. All the cigarettes were still in the pockets which made me feel bad as I had eaten all of his sweets.

In the E.W. section at Mercury they did their own drafting. We were given a list of the ships and their itinerary. We were in two parallel classes and the top of the final exams could pick their own draft. I came second and selected Victorious heading for the med. The least favourite drafts were frigates and destroyers engaged in the cod wars. Chipping ice off the decks and guns was not our idea of fun!
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Mercury, whats Mercury?
For many years whilst Ganges lay in Falmouth harbour Boy Buntings were trained onboard.
When the Boys came ashore at Shotley in 1906 and the Signal School was built the Boy Sparkers joined them. By the time Ganges closed in 1976 over 175k Boys and Juniors had been trained there. Attached is self explanatory. Has anyone got a copy of the equivalent of Mercury's closing down?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

CTB DAVID JOHN BADEN FORSEY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Pelican wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:53 pm Mercury, whats Mercury?
Attached is self explanatory. Has anyone got a copy of the equivalent of Mercury's closing down?
Nope; not even sure there was one.

According to research (copyright) by Godfrey Dykes the closure was announced under DCI[RN]310/92.
See Note 15 near the end of his article titled:- The Appointment of C.S.S. - CAPTAIN SIGNAL SCHOOL at HMS Merury
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:34 pm
Pelican wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:53 pm Mercury, whats Mercury?
Attached is self explanatory. Has anyone got a copy of the equivalent of Mercury's closing down?
Nope; not even sure there was one.

According to research (copyright) by Godfrey Dykes the closure was announced under DCI[RN]310/92.
See Note 15 near the end of his article titled:- The Appointment of C.S.S. - CAPTAIN SIGNAL SCHOOL at HMS Merury
Thanks Harry, as ever Geoff was meticulous and if he did not know who does. Gt. pity that he has deleted much from his site. No slight intended re Ganges v Mercury, every dog has its day but not many 'later' Communicators are aware of the history of the Signals School at Shotley. F.C. G. Dykes certainly did.
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Signal received Sir!! (or is it a message?)

HMS Medway
@HMS_Medway

Did you know? We’re kept up to date with the football scores/tables at sea by receiving signals. The “sigh” is the writing of the CO, who happens to be an Everton fan...
🙄

⚽️
And we always keep an eye on the mighty @TheGillsFC
. #ForwardTogether @RoyalNavy
EQcB2BhXYAEougb.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Also note some of the tweeted responses
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

PC Andrew Harper: Mural to officers made from 20,000 epaulettes

A mural in tribute to an officer killed on duty has been made from more than 20,000 epaulettes and badges donated from around the globe.
PC Andrew Harper died in August while responding to reports of a break-in.
The 55-foot (17m) long mural celebrates those lost and the work of those in "protective services", said PC Stuart Roberts, who started the campaign.
The artist behind it, Sam Bailey, said: "It make you realise the risks these people take on a daily basis."
Emergency workers, armed forces and other uniformed services are all represented in the artwork.
Continues at - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... At-SOVmDPQ
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

FLEET AIR ARM MARK VETERAN’S 100TH BIRTHDAY
11 March 2020
Once Navy, always Navy. And once Fleet Air Arm, always Fleet Air Arm.

Today’s aviators helped former wartime Telegraphist Air Gunner Dougie Hudson celebrate his 100th birthday at his retirement home in Cosham, Portsmouth.
Command Warrant Officer Christopher Boucher and Merlin helicopter observer/executive assistant to the head of the Fleet Air Arm Lieutenant Commander Amy Gaunt made the short trip from HMS Excellent to recognise Dougie’s milestone.
Continues with photo at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... rans-100th
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Telegraphist’s Lament

In a cold and lonely BWO, where the last B40 stands,
A museum set of signal pads held idly in my hands,
With my jargon half forgotten, of my stock-in-trade bereft,
I wonder what’s ahead of me – the only sparker left.
The relics of my ancient craft have vanished one by one,
Superhetrodyne, B28 and Slidex all have gone,
And I hear they’d be as useless in the final global war
As W/T procedure and the bunting’s semaphore.
The office is sprouting gadgets like a nightmare Christmas tree,
There are keyboards for computers where my morse key used to be,
And I couldn’t read steam broadcast midst this lunatic array,
For at every height and angle there’s a visual display.
The proud, efficient telegraphist is rendered obsolete
By electronic computer equipment fitted in the fleet,
And a signal’s through the system in the blinking of an eye
But everyone’s too busy to make a wet of kye.
To delete the human error, to erase a noble breed,
We rely upon a micro chip, we pin our faith to speed.
So we press a key, make a switch and spin a little disc,
And it’s cent per cent efficient – and never mind the risk.
But again I may be needed, for the time will surely come
When there’s a fault within the system and the modern stuff is dumb,
When the Satellites are useless but CW’s flying free –
It was good enough for Jackson and Mountbatten, and it’s good enough for me.

Written by Dave Morris
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Communications”