Photography

Got some ships photographs or videos that you want to share with others? Post them here
limeybiker

Photography

Unread post by limeybiker »

I have a Canon Powershot G12 digital camera, that is giving me heartache, the lens is stuck out and won't retract, and I get an error message, " Lens Error, camera will shut down and restart automatically.".
I was wondering if any of our shipmates knows of a cure for this.
Any suggestions for a replacement, is the Cannon Powershot G16 an option, has anyone tried one, have you found any problems with it, I do want a viewfinder, I can't get the hang of looking at a screen, my pet hate is long sticks with a phone on the end, they ruined a few of my photographs on the San Diego Naval Base "Fanny Boat" tour.
This is a sample photograph take with the Powershot G12 from the flight deck of the USS Medway I like the option of showing the date.
I also have a Nikon D90, that is getting a bit long in the tooth and I have replaced that with a Nikon D810, now that is a beast, the manual is an inch thick,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  • Up Spirits
    It’s Tot Time
    somewhere in the World
Yours Aye
Barry and Sharon Lockyer
Sunny Ocala, FL 34476 USA
http://www.barrylockyer.com/[/b]
jbryce1437

Re: Photography

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

limeybiker wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:33 pm I have a Canon Powershot G12 digital camera, that is giving me heartache, the lens is stuck out and won't retract, and I get an error message, " Lens Error, camera will shut down and restart automatically.".
I was wondering if any of our shipmates knows of a cure for this.
Any suggestions for a replacement, is the Cannon Powershot G16 an option, has anyone tried one, have you found any problems with it, I do want a viewfinder, I can't get the hang of looking at a screen, my pet hate is long sticks with a phone on the end, they ruined a few of my photographs on the San Diego Naval Base "Fanny Boat" tour.
This is a sample photograph take with the Powershot G12 from the flight deck of the USS Medway I like the option of showing the date.
I also have a Nikon D90, that is getting a bit long in the tooth and I have replaced that with a Nikon D810, now that is a beast, the manual is an inch thick,
Hi Barry, I had a similar problem with my digitial camera. I opened the battery compartment and removed the battery then replaced it and the lens retracted and that seemed to solve the problem.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
limeybiker

Thanks Jim I tried that, tried reset, contacted Cannon, all they basically said was, camera's obsolete, call this number and we will give you a discount on a new one, the G12 cost me $600.00, a new one with all the latest bells and whistles is closer to $1000.00.
I have been quoted $250.00 for a repair with a 60 day warranty.
I am looking at a lightly used G16 on EBay currently $218.00 + $18.00 shipping with 10 hours to go, I will wait until the last knockings and jump in with a bid.
We have a two week cruise in two weeks time, Boston to Quebec and back again, so I would like it for then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  • Up Spirits
    It’s Tot Time
    somewhere in the World
Yours Aye
Barry and Sharon Lockyer
limeybiker

I finished up buying this one Canon PowerShot G5 X Digital Camera. One year old for $425.
Has any of our shipmates got one and can give some user advice.
  • Up Spirits
    It’s Tot Time
    somewhere in the World
Yours Aye
Barry and Sharon Lockyer
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Sorry Barry..... but you play with more expensive toys than me :x

The one I use and love is a Fuji Finepix HS28 EXR which has served this ignorant photographer well .

I dont even pretend to understand its many facilities and whistles & Bells but has produced excellent shots on Auto .

The shots taken produce excellent results as far as I 'm concerned

I take better care of it now after it was damaged during a flight by someone throwing a case on top of it in the overhead locker which cracked the rear view screen and cost £180.00 to be repaired which fortunately was covered by travel insurance , and it now travels in a professional padded Camera case and has been worth every penny paid
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

limeybiker wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:02 pm I finished up buying this one Canon PowerShot G5 X Digital Camera. One year old for $425.
Has any of our shipmates got one and can give some user advice.
Sorry Barry, only got a Canon 400 dslr and a smaller Powershot A220. Also got a Maginon 24x pocket camera (which is the one I had the lense retracting problem with - flipping the battery out sorted the problem).

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
limeybiker

I bought my first camera in Gibraltar early 1958, onboard HMS Victorious, I can't remember the model, but I think it cost £2.00, I don't remember when I lost it, but I have been copying some slides that I took with that camera,
1. is me in La Linea early 1958, photograph taken by my old run ashore oppo Whacker Paine, author of " Call the Hands "
2 & 3, Victorious from a Pusser's 3 in 1 whaler, Portsmouth Harbour 1958.
  • Up Spirits
    It’s Tot Time
    somewhere in the World
Yours Aye
Barry and Sharon Lockyer
limeybiker

These photographs are of Pacific white-sided dolphins, taken off the coast of Costa Rica, taken with the Nikon D810 with a 300mm lens at 4.8m, the photographs have been digitally cropped.
  • Up Spirits
    It’s Tot Time
    somewhere in the World
Yours Aye
Barry and Sharon Lockyer
James b

Unread post by James b »

During 1966 ,on my first ship , out in the fezz , I was given my dads old camera, with folded out .. it only took about 8 photos at a time ...
Here is one ,I had taken of my self ...
Raleigh..Cambridge..St Vincent ..CHICHESTER.Bellerophon {H.M.S BELFAST} ..Excellent .Pembroke...MOHAWK ..SCYLLA
R.N.H Stonehouse ..Rooke.[ARLINGHAM]...Drake..
Discharged 1st Dec 75
limeybiker

The new camera arrived this AM, whilst I was playing golf, first impressions are favourable, the electronic viewfinder needs some getting used to.
This is one of the first photographs taken with the Canon G5X one of our newly rescues Maltese "Zoey".
Zoey is 3.5 years old, the previous owner did not have her groomed for two years, her fur had to be shaved off, it is slowly regrowing and she will be groomed properly every six weeks.
  • Up Spirits
    It’s Tot Time
    somewhere in the World
Yours Aye
Barry and Sharon Lockyer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Ship, other Photographs and Videos”