HMS Penelope ~ Light Cruiser

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
Pelican

HMS Penelope ~ Light Cruiser

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS PENELOPE, Aurora class light cruiser:
From an oppo:
"Nearing completion of Penelope the light cruiser. Trying to track down details of the upper deck armament after removal of the aircraft in 1942. Cant find anything on the Arethusa, Aurora and a couple of others of that class but know Aurora was transferred to the Chinese. Plans don't show any details and no photos seem to exist."
If anyone has any information or advice it would be much appreciated.
I have found a number of photos of the ship after the crane was removed [assume this was 1942?] but no close ups, especially midships where the crane was situated.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Re: HMS Penelope ~ Light Cruiser

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Sadly David , I have no personal details of this vessel , and Cruisers are a class of ship I have no Pictures other than those of HMS BELFAST .

I will ask around in case anyone at the club has any .

The Old Forum would have had a thread on them as I'm sure your aware , and in the fullness of time I'm confident our new one will also .

When in this situation my next step would be Amazon books and " research" the section for anything relating to that vessel, and failing that the Museum at Greenwich Archives for any plans they may hold on her .....but that will cost you as I'm sure you will already know .........It all depends how desperate he is ........still keep faith .....someone might pick this up and have what your looking for :)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Some photos of Penelope
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Excellent Photo's Jim and thank you for your kindness in sharing these , but I suspect not what his friend needs , as is so often the case from a model makers perspective in that the profile shots dont depict the deck layout , number and position of ships boats , equipment , secondary armament ,fixtures and fittings ......which close aerial shots depict and define .....but as I say well intentioned ...many thanks ...and more than I have to help him :oops:
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Many thanks Ivor, I will pass on appropriate parts of your post.
Thank you Jim, you have posted several photos that I had not found so will also forward them.
Actually the father of the chap who is building the model served in Aurora during WW II but due to lack of info about that ship he decided on Penelope instead.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Pelican wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:39 pm Many thanks Ivor, I will pass on appropriate parts of your post.
Thank you Jim, you have posted several photos that I had not found so will also forward them.
Actually the father of the chap who is building the model served in Aurora during WW II but due to lack of info about that ship he decided on Penelope instead.
Thanks David .....I point worth mentioning albeit an obvious one , would be to try another vessel of the same class and transfer the detail .........sounds stupid I know but whilst researching HMS Troubridge I happened upon another of the same class [ would it be HMS ZEST ?] and allowing for refits managed to find that all important detail that marks out that class of vessel if you catch my drift .

Another excellent place is model boat shows[ which is the case in point for the above ] like the International Model Boat Show held in late October / early November at warwickshire .

Hope that helps , and also those bits and bobs needed to complete the model that are becoming more and more difficult to find nowadays will be on display for sale at the show at discounted prices ;)

if stuck for anything drop me a PM and I'll point you in the right direction or where to get it from
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:41 am
Pelican wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:39 pm Many thanks Ivor, I will pass on appropriate parts of your post.
Thanks David .....I point worth mentioning albeit an obvious one , would be to try another vessel of the same class and transfer the detail .........sounds stupid I know but whilst researching HMS Troubridge I happened upon another of the same class [ would it be HMS ZEST ?] and allowing for refits managed to find that all important detail that marks out that class of vessel if you catch my drift .

Another excellent place is model boat shows[ which is the case in point for the above ] like the International Model Boat Show held in late October / early November at warwickshire .

Hope that helps , and also those bits and bobs needed to complete the model that are becoming more and more difficult to find nowadays will be on display for sale at the show at discounted prices ;)

if stuck for anything drop me a PM and I'll point you in the right direction or where to get it from
TU again Ivor, will again pass on.
Would you believe it we have a H.O. who served on Zest during WW II which was a Chatham ship. Spent a lot of time patrolling the N.Sea.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Some of Aurora
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Well as I have said before the best info is gained from overhead shots or "plan profile "
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:00 am Well as I have said before the best info is gained from overhead shots or "plan profile "
VMT Jim, will pass on. I think what this chap is particularly interested in is the guns etc. which were installed after the crane was removed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”