Identification please

Post anything relating to Weapons Engineering on this thread
ivorthediver

Identification please

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well David , here's another [ and the last I think ] for your boys with the red jackets and running shoes !

This shell casing is yet another mystery to be identified if you can please due to the extended fuse fitted and hopefully the pictures attached could help .

Inscribed around the side is the following :-

HMS BARROSA
4th Destroyer Squadron
Mediterrane Fleet 1956

As you know she was a Battle class Destroyer on which Chalky served on amongst others if that helps :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
jbryce1437

Re: Identification please

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

My last job, on the last ship that I served on (HMS Exmouth), was to maintain the guns and mortars. I collared a couple of spent rounds from the 40/60mm gun mounting and made ash trays out of them, similar to those in the photos. I think they went into a skip when I moved house and was downsizing.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well by chance I was speaking to an ex Barrosa gunnery boffin who said that the protruding centre "fuse" section contained explosives which when the pin cap was ignited detonated the explosive core which in turn superheated the propellant giving the shell a higher velocity [ phew my head hurts but I think I've got that right ]
So purpose solved and that one can be put to bed now thanks . ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

ivorthediver wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:40 pm Well by chance I was speaking to an ex Barrosa gunnery boffin who said that the protruding centre "fuse" section contained explosives which when the pin cap was ignited detonated the explosive core which in turn superheated the propellant giving the shell a higher velocity [ phew my head hurts but I think I've got that right ]
So purpose solved and that one can be put to bed now thanks . ;)
The centre fuse was ideal for stubbing cigarette ends out ;-)

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Weapons Engineering”