Aerials and/or Arrays

Post here about equipment carried on ships
timlewin

Re: Aerials and/or Arrays

Unread post by timlewin »

some brilliant shots of men up masts; right now I am at the final hurdle of putting the rotating HD camera up the foremast of HMS Belfast for general amusement. I am being held up waiting for a volunteer who has the appropriate "fall & arrest" training to shin up there and clamp the bracket for the camera onto the side of the small nav radar (I believe thats what it is) on the stbd side of the mast three-quarters of the way up. Hopefully I will find such a bloke next week. I have sent a few of your photos of this activity across to stimulate them!
you can spot the little platform in this excellent photo. level with the catwalk over Tower Bridge from this angle.
tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

timlewin wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:16 am some brilliant shots of men up masts; right now I am at the final hurdle of putting the rotating HD camera up the foremast of HMS Belfast for general amusement. I am being held up waiting for a volunteer who has the appropriate "fall & arrest" training to shin up there and clamp the bracket for the camera onto the side of the small nav radar (I believe thats what it is) on the stbd side of the mast three-quarters of the way up. Hopefully I will find such a bloke next week. I have sent a few of your photos of this activity across to stimulate them!
you can spot the little platform in this excellent photo. level with the catwalk over Tower Bridge from this angle.
tim
Yep I've spotted it Tim. The Nav radar aerial is for the Type 978 (a larger cheese aerial than the smaller Type 974).

Pity I wasn't years (many) younger - I would've been up there like a flash for you.
Little h
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

not without 50 pages of risk assessment these days! thanks, we will get there eventually. the camera platform, its not very big, will be held on with "nip-bolts" which clamp it to the existing bracket so we don't even need to drill any holes. Should be fun especially when there is a visitor alongside
Little h

timlewin wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:53 pm not without 50 pages of risk assessment these days! thanks, we will get there eventually. the camera platform, its not very big, will be held on with "nip-bolts" which clamp it to the existing bracket so we don't even need to drill any holes. Should be fun especially when there is a visitor alongside
One will need to be sparing with the zoom feature methinks ;) ;) :)
Little h
Little h

Q. What have these two RN ships got in common?

A. The feature (lattice mast) within the red outline

Centaur (R06)
xx HMS_Centaur_1965 wiki (3).jpg

Well, according to Wiki - not sure from the excerpt below whether the radar type 965 (single bedstead; AKE-1) was the refurbed aerial array that had surmounted the mast whilst on Battleaxe D118; see:-
xx Screenshot (6429) wiki.png

Battleaxe D118 A/D conversion - the arrangement as installed there-on
xx battleaxe_d118_may_1959_01.jpg

Attribution for this Battleaxe image goes to forum member Barry Lockyer -
copied from one of his very excellent webpages (a tribute to his late Brother Dennis)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re passage in 2nd para of wiki excerpt:-

For info; the skipper of Centaur (4th commish) known to us underlings as OHMS Capt Otto Steiner was my very first skipper at sea on Saintes D84 in 1959 (Capt D3)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Little h

Type 12 Whitby Class Frigates - (I really hadn't noticed this :oops: )

The aerial for the radar type 293 is mounted aft of the polemast/foretop and the aerial for the type 974/978 radar is on a bracket projecting fwd from the lattice foremast.

In the 'as-built' configuration
z1 Screenshot (6414).png
View from dead ahead looking aft

z1 28410010637_71320f8f79_o (3) flickr Tim Webb creative commons.jpg
Viewed from off the stbd bow

z1 hms whitby 1970 s forum j bryce (2).jpg
Viewed from off the port qtr looking fwd
Little h
Little h

Type 12 Whitby Class Frigates - (I really hadn't noticed this :oops: ) - (continued)

a) - In the post refit or intermediate configuration
Atop and fwd of of the lattice foremast; on a triangular radar platform, mounted near the leading edge of the platform - is the aerial for the radar type 293 (on port side) & the aerial for the radar type 974/978 (on stbd side) - and therefore mounted fwd of the polemast/foretop. This was the configuration of the 'as built' Rothesay Class with which I was familiar.

z2 Tenby director forum tim (2).jpg
taken from high above the stbd bow looking aft

b) - In the final configuration with a plated (enclosed) foremast
The aerial for the search radar type 993 is mounted alone atop the formast and fwd of the polemast/foretop (reverse of 'as built' configuration - whilst the aerial for the navigation radar type 978 is again fwd of the foremast near the top and on a purpose built platform (see caption I have placed in the attachment).

z Het Engelse fregat HMS Lowestoft F103, een onderzeebootjager bezoekt Amsterdam Bestanddeelnr 930-5221 wike (2).jpg
viewed from the jetty off the port bow looking aft
z 8118177276_b504e4a1b8_o static flickr naval matters (2).jpg
viewed from off the port qtr looking fwd

this shows the aft projecting flared platform upon which the polemast/foretop is mounted
Little h
Little h

NavyLookout
@NavyLookout·2h
.@HMS_Richmond sporting new TVRO(?) satellite radome and various new aerials on hangar roof.

Handy for a forthcoming global deployment #CSG21
Ee6rs7xWsAUWQXA.jpg
photo @Rockhoppas

Jonathan Wigmore
@JonathanWigmore·1h
Replying to
@NavyLookout,
@HMS_Richmond and @Rockhoppas
One thing I've been wondering - when did the curved strips come off the top of the hanger? Think they designed to reduce radar cross section.

NavyLookout
@NavyLookout·1h
Used to reduce radar reflections from hangar roof for the Type 911 Sea Wolf fire control radar. Sea Wolf and FCR now removed.

Sleepy ⚡️ Greenie
@matelotjonah · 3h
Replying to
@NavyLookout, @HMS_Richmond and @Rockhoppas
You can still just about see the TVRO dome in front of the new one.
Little h
Little h

HMS Richmond F239

Further to the previous post.

Some observations of additional antenna mounted on her hangar roof, seen in images on Twitter during recent departure from Devonport dockyard:-

- 1 x new satcom(?) dome (aft of the mainmast base)

- 2 x rotatable(?) Log Periodic Antenna (LPA) - open design -(one each side port and stbd)

- 2 x possible Planar Log Periodic Antenna (PLPA) - board design - (one each side port & stbd)
Ee6rs7xWsAUWQXA 1 (2).jpg

The following attachment is included for guidance only. Note that the LPA is the tapered open design antenna atop the rotatable mast and motor - whilst the Planar array is in this instance a rectangular shape, unlike the suspected examples on Richmond F239 which are of tapered enclosed board design.
,U.S.N. CT (Maint) 2nd Cl ZackaryDangler & CT(Maint) 1st Cl Craig Pitcher USS Kearsarge LHD 3 130429-N-AD372-107 wiki commons.jpg
Little h
Little h

HMS Richmond F239

Further to my previous two posts.

Some observations of additional antenna mounted on her hangar roof, seen in images on Twitter during recent departure from Devonport dockyard:-

- 1 x new satcom(?) dome (aft of the mainmast base)

- 2 x rotatable(?) Log Periodic Antenna (LPA) - open design -(one each side port and stbd)

- 2 x possible Planar Log Periodic Antenna (PLPA) - board design - (one each side port & stbd)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet another type ? - and are there yet more to be observed given the opportunity to view images having a higher definition.
EfRqIcjWoAEFmRn Tugs UK on twitter (2).jpg

Attachment derived from an image posted by TugsUK on twitter
Little h
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Ships/Boats Equipment”