Aerials and/or Arrays

Post here about equipment carried on ships
DaveH

Re: Aerials and/or Arrays

Unread post by DaveH »

Harry , It seems that no matter what clever gubbins they come up with in these modern times the old faithfull AJE still rules on the end of the yardarm .
I wonder if the old "Ican talk but I can't hear" and vice versa still plagues the comms dept from the bridge .
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

DaveH wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:25 pm Harry , It seems that no matter what clever gubbins they come up with in these modern times the old faithfull AJE still rules on the end of the yardarm .
I wonder if the old "Ican talk but I can't hear" and vice versa still plagues the comms dept from the bridge .
Sorry ye olde Ch. Tel. forgot to respond mate :oops:

All same-same thing really but BR 333(1) Amdt1, 1.84 in the rnmuseumradarandcommunications2006.org.uk/Comms website explains it's successor as follows:-

UK/SRA-102
A UHF (225 to 400 MHz) broadband aerial, transmit or receiver, which replaced the AJE(5). A bi-conical dipole with a counter-poise skirt. Fitted widely in surface ships except MCMV vessels on yardarms and spurs.

For further details of UK/SRA 102 see CLICK HERE
Screenshot (6718).png

They could always steer a zig-zag course and avoid 'wooding' by exposing the port & stbd AJE's on alter legs (courses) ... then there were the instances when the untrained Bridge user would forget to release the pressal button/switch etc. etc.

Oft times in 3rd W/T office/EWO/Ops Room EW desk we would have to repeat 'racket' alerts sending first on EW Primary (UHF) followed by an instant repeat by CW Morse on EW Secondary (HF) because one or more ship in the screen or formation was unable to hear the UHF alert. Always more intense when being the nominated EW circuit controller.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Thanks Harry .

The AJE was always my curse ............ with a Skipper who always insisted on maintaining station dead abeam ........ my solution was to nip down change RX for TX and wait for the shout . not :o
Little h

RFA Fort Victoria

Further to the previous short series of posts relating to HMS Richmond F239 on page 7 this thread.

Some observations of additional antenna mounted on her Winch Control room roof, seen in images on Twitter during recent RAS with RFA Tide Force:-

Surrounding the large white satcom(?) dome (on a plinth atop the Winch Control room WINCHO)

- 3 poss 4 x rotatable(?) Log Periodic Antenna (LPA) - open design -(one each located on each corner of the roof)

- 2 poss 4 x possible Planar Log Periodic Antenna (PLPA) - board design
EjbaszeXYAAnwzM Twitter (3).jpg

also observed on Defender D36 twitter account:-
EjV-y8gWAAA7MyC (3).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Little h

Little h wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:04 pm HMS Richmond F239

Further to the previous post.

Some observations of additional antenna mounted on her hangar roof, seen in images on Twitter during recent departure from Devonport dockyard:-

- 1 x new satcom(?) dome (aft of the mainmast base)

- 2 x rotatable(?) Log Periodic Antenna (LPA) - open design -(one each side port and stbd)

- 2 x possible Planar Log Periodic Antenna (PLPA) - board design - (one each side port & stbd)

Ee6rs7xWsAUWQXA 1 (2).jpg

This time it's HMS Kent F78

The following attachment is included for guidance only. Note that the LPA is the tapered open design antenna atop the rotatable mast and motor - whilst the Planar array is in this instance a rectangular shape, unlike the suspected examples on Richmond F239 which are of tapered enclosed board design.

,U.S.N. CT (Maint) 2nd Cl ZackaryDangler & CT(Maint) 1st Cl Craig Pitcher USS Kearsarge LHD 3 130429-N-AD372-107 wiki commons.jpg

Recent observations of images posted by James Bird on Twitter reveal that they are multiplying on some Type 23's:-
ElQay5zW0AEMJY8 HMS Kent faslane via @jamesbird twitter (2).jpg

Note attribution is contained in the linked re-tweet
Little h
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Ships/Boats Equipment”