Royal Naval College Greenwich and Museum

Post here about Greenwich Royal Naval College and its Exhibits
timlewin

Re: Royal Naval College Greenwich and Museum

Unread post by timlewin »

here are a few pics of the LEWIN GATE which is the gate through which you enter the ORNC from the ferry terminal.

tim
timlewin

they failed to load...
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Oppps ......never mind its duly noted Tim
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
timlewin

try this one, I think the file size is a bit hefty
ivorthediver

Sadly I think you may be right Tim .....our loss ...temporarily , have a word with Jim , if I may make so bold dear Sir :)
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

ivorthediver wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:05 pm Sadly I think you may be right Tim .....our loss ...temporarily , have a word with Jim , if I may make so bold dear Sir :)
If the issue produces the following message at the time of trying to load attachments, then Jim has been alerted to the issue by PM and it appears there is possibly insufficient capacity for images at ths time.

Error

Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

We have also established that if that is the issue - there is a fix.
Little h
ivorthediver

That is also my understanding of the temporary problem Harry , so watch this space as they say ;)
timlewin

Thanks for the fix; here are the "Lewin Gates". These are the access to the ORNC from Greenwich Pier. The original gates were much smaller, when Prince Philip came to the ceremony to dedicate them he looked and said "Bit small arn't"!. The Greenwich Foundation who care for the Greenwich Estate always had plans to replace them with these much more splendid, and correct period, gates. The gates lead into the campus opposite the Pepys building, visitor centre. Just inside is a memorial bench to my younger brother who died of a brain tumor just before his 40th birthday, and only a year orso after dad died (not a good time for the family). Over on the left is the King Charles Court where TTL lived before and during the Falklands Conflict. The first door next to the river was their front door, all this block is now home to Trinity College of Music. My parents previously lived in Admiralty Arch but with the predilection for various groups to blowing things up in London at that time the MoD moved them to RNC. They appreciated the improved impression of security but were frequently wakened by drunks singing as they walked along the riverside path outside the perimeter fence. The MoD also changed the numberplate on dad's Admiralty Rover from 00RN01 to something much more anodyne.
tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Thanks Tim , for one horrible moment we thought there may have been another set that we had thought was " TTL's" gates , but I see we did get the right ones after all, with Karen in front .

Shame we couldn't have met down there ,but hey thats life , full of disappointments :(
timlewin

Re: changing the guard at the Maritime Museum

just in from the NMM/RMG.....

Dear friends and colleagues

I have decided to step down as Director of Royal Museums Greenwich in the middle of 2019. Our highly successful 2014-18 corporate plan has just been completed and this offers an ideal moment for fresh thinking to inform the way forward.

It has been a privilege to lead this great museum over the past twelve years and to work with such talented and dedicated staff, volunteers and Trustees. We can all be proud of our many achievements. These include the creation of the Sammy Ofer Wing and the programme of critically acclaimed exhibitions that it has facilitated, our involvement in the London 2012 Olympics and the integration of Cutty Sark into RMG. We have upgraded the Peter Harrison Planetarium, developed the Royal Observatory as a centre for public education and brought astronomical research observation back to the Royal Observatory in the Altazimuth Building.

The magnificent conservation work undertaken in the Queen’s House to mark the building’s 400th anniversary, creating our state-of-the-art Prince Philip Maritime Collections Centre at Kidbrooke and transforming the National Maritime Museum visitor experience by creating a suite of four magnificent new permanent galleries that opened last September with their new ways of engaging with audiences are accomplishments we share. It is been similarly rewarding to see the Museum’s superb collections further enhanced through acquisitions such as Yinka Shonibare’s ‘Nelson’s Ship in a Bottle’, George Stubbs’ Kongouro and Dingo paintings, the Armada portrait of Elizabeth I and the impressive scholarship they have triggered.

Our commercial activities have flourished and, equally importantly, we have built a strong and committed Members and Patrons programme. In almost every case, our achievements have received encouragement and assistance (financial and otherwise) from supporters, advisors and colleagues, many of whom have become personal friends. I am deeply indebted to all who have joined us on this journey to make RMG the dynamic institution it is today.

My greatest debt goes to my wife Carol who left her own museum position in Sydney to join me in Greenwich. Carol has been tireless in her support to me and the Museum throughout my time as Director. We greatly enjoy Greenwich and plan to continue living here for the foreseeable future.

Following my announcement the Museum’s Chairman and Trustees will, with immediate effect, be launching the search for my replacement.

Best wishes

Kevin

Dr Kevin Fewster
Director, Royal Museums Greenwich
Direct +44 (0)208 312 6606

Royal Museums Greenwich
National Maritime Museum | Cutty Sark
Royal Observatory | The Queen's House
+44 (0)208 858 4422

Book now for
Insight Investment Astronomy Photographer of the Year at the National Maritime Museum, 24 October 2018 – 5 May 2019
Sponsored by Insight Investment

For the latest exhibition information, events, news and transport information visit rmg.co.uk
Sign up for our e-newsletter | This email and its content are subject to our disclaimer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Greenwich Royal Naval College and Museum”