Royal Naval College Greenwich and Museum

Post here about Greenwich Royal Naval College and its Exhibits
ivorthediver

Re: Royal Naval College Greenwich and Museum

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well Tim.....
I am not sure if I am sad or glad hearing this news , as having followed your advice and viewing it last year and loving every twist and turn we had at this much under rated museum we wonder what affect this news holds for such a magnificent centre of excellence and remains very dear to our heart having now embraced the experience full on.

What are your views and reaction might I ask and is there a cue of suitable applicants to take over the rudder so to speak :(
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

I don't really have a worthwhile view yet Ivor, we need to see who is next on the bridge.....
ivorthediver

Well at this juncture we can only wish them well Tim , and pray it maintains its standards eh .
timlewin

Job done, well almost. After a two-year labour of love to restore and conserve the Painted Hall the re-opening date has been set. There will be a reception of the great and good on the evening of the 21st March thereafter everyone needs to go and soo how splendid this grand place really is.
tim
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

timlewin wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:15 pm Job done, well almost. After a two-year labour of love to restore and conserve the Painted Hall the re-opening date has been set. There will be a reception of the great and good on the evening of the 21st March thereafter everyone needs to go and soo how splendid this grand place really is.
tim
Great news Tim, well done to all concerned.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

As one who went there recently and saw the results of their hard work We can only congratulate their hard work
timlewin

https://www.forces.net/news/heritage/na ... -440997241

And here it is, filmed by BFBS, reopened to the public at last...
ivorthediver

Remember it well Tim , and enjoyed our visit very much last year .
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

timlewin wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:44 am https://www.forces.net/news/heritage/na ... -440997241

And here it is, filmed by BFBS, reopened to the public at last...
A beautiful sight and a national treasure.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

My comments do not do it justice Jim , we were fortunate enough to be able to view it up close and personal when we visited and were allowed to view it from just a few feet beneath it.... from the scaffolding erected to carry out the cleaning and restoration work :)

The colours and depiction of each scene is breathtaking , and to try and absorb it all is mind blowing as no sooner did you view one section the size of your living room ceiling than you moved on to another which was better than the last and the scene depicted being explained by the guide and the conjecture as to what was in the mind of the artist as he painted it was like a condensed viewing of twenty years of a "Soap" in as many minutes , and I recall most of the party rocking with laughter as the guide explained the storey line .

We considered ourselves extremely fortunate to have been given the opportunity to view it up close and personal ........simply wonderful

Whilst viewing it we remarked on "our resident Artist " on our naval Forum and his seemingly endless skills and what he would make of it in all its naval splendour...and we looked in the bottom left hand corner but couldn't find his monogram any where ;)

Certainly worthy of its fame "World Wide" in my opinion
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Greenwich Royal Naval College and Museum”