Royal Naval College Greenwich and Museum

Post here about Greenwich Royal Naval College and its Exhibits
ivorthediver

Re: Royal Naval College Greenwich and Museum

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Ok moving on , as you may have suspected I was on the prowl for Models of which I found prodigious amounts but sadly their imprisonment in display cases precluded satisfactory Photo's but heres a few that are worthy of display
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

Many of the exhibits were breath taking in detail especially the extremely old hand crafted scale ships pattern models .

The intricate details displayed when at the time the benefit of micro tools and powered formwork were only to be dreamed of ......the time to produce these works of art for what was then a pittance in return can only be described as criminal .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Now to my long sort after artefact ....Nelsons uniform worn at Trafalgar , from which can be seen the entry point at which the fatal shot[fired from above by a French marine sniper in the rigging ] entered just beneath his left shoulder epaulet and traveled down through his shoulder .

Pawned by Nelsons former lover Emmer Hamilton, after being passed to her by Capt Hardy, to cover her mounting costs since being shunned by society after Nelsons death and died a pauper ..... and later on ,.purchased by Prince Albert and donated to the museum ......as I understand it .
ivorthediver

A few more paintings of note to give you a feel of the Museum .....which is very diverse in its collections and not all paintings alone to view ...

There is so much to see , and we have only scratched the surface in this mega collection shown here .......and as the last picture shows we will move on to the Painted Hall next :D
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

thanks Ivor, they did however make a nice White Port; one day I visited them and Nikolai was unusually smiley, he had a tendency to be a rather serious man. It was around 0830, I asked why he looked so cheerful. We won another gold medal he tod me, for our White Port. Then he asked me if I had ever tried it? when I told him I had no idea they even made it he sent the chief wine maker, a charming lady scientist in her seventies, to bring a bottle. She came with one covered with dust which he opened telling me as he pulled the cork that this was the 1944 vintage, the first after the Red Army despatched the Germans from Crimea, as they retreated they destroyed everything single item of machinery so this vintage was made by the Biblical hand and foot method. It was quite exceptional in taste and beyond description in history, I thought I would get a single glass but this is not Russian style, we finished the bottle, with a plate of digestive biscuits. Great people, that's Nikolai in the Painted Hall with the bottles of '45. He loved to help us with anything Navy related, his own father had been a "man of the Fleet"...
ivorthediver

timlewin wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:52 pm thanks Ivor, they did however make a nice White Port; one day I visited them and Nikolai was unusually smiley, he had a tendency to be a rather serious man. It was around 0830, I asked why he looked so cheerful. We won another gold medal he tod me, for our White Port. Then he asked me if I had ever tried it? when I told him I had no idea they even made it he sent the chief wine maker, a charming lady scientist in her seventies, to bring a bottle. She came with one covered with dust which he opened telling me as he pulled the cork that this was the 1944 vintage, the first after the Red Army despatched the Germans from Crimea, as they retreated they destroyed everything single item of machinery so this vintage was made by the Biblical hand and foot method. It was quite exceptional in taste and beyond description in history, I thought I would get a single glass but this is not Russian style, we finished the bottle, with a plate of digestive biscuits. Great people, that's Nikolai in the Painted Hall with the bottles of '45. He loved to help us with anything Navy related, his own father had been a "man of the Fleet"...
What a charming character , and you certainly know how to pick you friends Tim , although one could end up with carouses of the liver.....but I could think of worse deaths ;)

Whilst on the Subject of the museum , were you aware that Staircase in the Museum was being either moved or refurbished and rededicated to honour your dear Father when the alterations due to be completed soon are completed

We were advised of this by our guide when we commented on the plaque in the wall near the Nelson display entrance
which he overheard and asked if we had known him personally to which we replied No but his son has shared a bottle or three of White Burgundy with us and had founded a Forum in his memory to which he seemed delighted :)
ivorthediver

Now we will move to the Greenwich Naval Chapel next after these last two which show the benefactors of the building , interesting list of gentry .
ivorthediver

Next on the agenda was the Naval Chapel which you will see in the film clip attached by Tim , and was the other reason for our visit see if you can spot a Coronation Street Actress in the pictures ......
I had to be told as until we walked past her I wouldn't have recognised her as she seemed so much younger in the flesh , after this comment I was attacked and subjected to being beaten by the wife :cry:

She had a Red Handbag around her neck ,.........."Gail Tilsliy" better known as Helen Worth .....she asked for my Autograph but I told her I was to busy..... and had no pen handy :roll:
ivorthediver

On a more serious note we found this a very peaceful and tranquil place and obviously very moving for Karen who has seen " Tim's" film often and sat where her dad was seated .....
ivorthediver

And a few more of the inside the Chapel :-
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Greenwich Royal Naval College and Museum”