Brazilian Navy

Add your posts about Other Navies, not already listed, here
Pelican

Brazilian Navy

Unread post by Pelican »

Brazil’s new helicopter carrier arrives home
PHM Atlântico arriving in Arsenal de Marinha do Rio de Janeiro on August 25.
The Brazilian Navy’s new helicopter carrier PHM Atlântico (A 140) arrived at her homeport in Rio de Janeiro on Saturday after a 25-day voyage from Plymouth, UK.
The former Royal Navy ship (ex-HMS Ocean) was refitted in Plymouth before the Brazilian crew underwent Flag Officer Sea Training (FOST) ahead of their voyage to Brazil which started August 1.
Atlântico made a port call in Lisbon, Portugal, before the start of her transatlantic journey. On August 23, the ship welcomed aboard first Brazilian aircraft as UH-15 Super Cougar, SH-16 Seahawk and Bell Jet Ranger helicopters landed on the flight deck.
Several other articles at foot of the article here:
https://navaltoday.com/2018/08/27/brazi ... ives-home/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
designeraccd

Re: Brazilian Navy

Unread post by designeraccd »

Brazil also participated in the Great ABC Battleship race. The three Countries really had no military need for dreadnoughts, but prestige is so important....uh-huh. Brazil and Chile both purchased their battleships from English yards. At the time of ordering the 2 Brazilian units were the "most powerful" in the world; given their 12-12". Of course, by the time of delivery they had been superceded by numerous BBs.

Neither BB really contributed to their Country's defense, but one did join a mutiny against Brazil!! :shock:

Fleeting fame..... :o DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Thank you very much lads , for your posts and pictures which all go to help educate me and other members of our new forum which from my viewpoint has harvested some brilliant unseen photographs , all of which offers a balanced view of the worlds Navies and their potential in crisis when it occurred ........very grateful :)

I love the aft balcony [ probably the wrong term ....sorry ] on the lower photo, quite a quaint detail given the era built :?:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
designeraccd

Brazil's last status carrier, purchased from France! Cost to much to repair, therefore they got a bargain on a useful RN LPD! Named ATLANTICO...prestige!! :o DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
designeraccd

Prior to buying the former French carrier, the Brazilian Navy operated a modernized RN cvl...the MINEAS GERIAS. She was a handsome little carrier that apparently served her Navy well.

Unfortunately it seems the "big" x-French carrier (also MINEAS GERIAS) strained the budget and capability of the Service to keep her running. DFO
designeraccd

A nice low bow shot of the old BB, SAO PAULO....smoking away! Not going "fast" tho, oh my........... :o DFO
ivorthediver

Blimey dear old Sandy would have had a fit if he saw that ....." Just a heat haze is all that was required ".....bless his cotton socks R.I.P.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Brasilian Navy River Monitor BNS Parnaiba.
She was built by Arsenal de Marinha do Rio de Janeiro Shipyard in 1936 and commissioned on March 9th 1938. She participated in the Second World War and is currently the world's oldest armed continually commissioned warship still in active service.She underwent a modernization program at the Ladario Riverine Naval Base between January 1998 and May 6th 1999, which saw the replacement of her original reciprocating engine plant with diesel engines to increase her range and endurance. A helicopter platform has been fitted,allowing her to operate the IH-6B Bell Jet Ranger III.
ivorthediver

Well at least they aren't flying Harriers off them ;)
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Type 22 Frigate BNS Rademaker (Ex HMS Battleaxe) pictured c 2017,she was sold to the Brazilian Navy on April 30th 1997 and is still in active service.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Navies”