RN Destroyers: Type 45 Daring Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Little h

RN Destroyers: Type 45 Daring Class

Unread post by Little h »

HMS Duncan D37

The seven month deployment of HMS Duncan as NATO flagship was filmed for Channel 5 documentary "Warship: Life at Sea " 4 x 1hr episodes coming soon.

Source; Save The Royal Navy .org NavyLookout on Twitter.

Note; the link also carries a further link about the forthcoming programme.
Little h
Pelican

Re: Royal Navy Destroyers: Daring Class Type 45

Unread post by Pelican »

Duncan: Contents of these links and attached photos may be of interest.
e.g. - http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.ph ... le&id=1948
And - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/defence ... efences-2/
D34 is Diamond so not sure if all 6 are fitted with both?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Little h

HMS Dragon D35 & her 'Welsh Dragons'

I must admit that I didn't know how the replacement pair of 'Welsh Dragons' were funded, but here are a few excerpts from an article titled:-

Welsh dragon returns to the bows of Cardiff warship
ByJessica Flynn
17:24, 18 MAY 2016

The motifs were removed during a refit of the ship but after a fundraising campaign the new dragons have been unveiled

The original red dragons had been privately funded and so an appeal was made by the ship to its supporters in Cardiff and the British Warships Association (BWA) , which is headquartered in Wales, immediately responded.

Appeal for the dragons

Within weeks of the appeal launch, BWA members and the people of Cardiff had pledged the funds and the financial commitment was secured.

Attachment
JS90338504 Wales Online.jpg

Link to source of attachment and where the full article can be read here at Wales Online

See also the following excerpt related to her 'Welsh Dragons' as contained in PDF (page 1 of 9) The Newsletter for HMS DRAGON SSUE 10
12 December 2014

One of the most unusual preparations before the Ship headed South was the replacement
of the Ship’s red dragon, which has now been proudly reinstated on the port bow.
All of us love it and are very proud to have it back. Of course, it would not have been possible
without the generosity of the Ship’s sponsors for which we are extremely grateful.
Having the dragon back on HMS DRAGON has generated a real sense of excitement.
The dragon represents both the Dragon of Wales and the Dragon of St George and it
seems a fitting way to salute our links with both Cardiff and York.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Couldn't agree more Harry , and I'm sure the crew do as well .....bring it on .....respectfully
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Little h

Re: RN Destroyers: Daring Class Type 45

HM S/m Talent and HMS Diamond met up for a one-day personell exchange in the Eastern Mediterranean last week.
, Diamond and Talent personnel exchange for a day DrVA7XWX4AYa8K4.jpg

Source; NavyLookout on Twitter - Save The Royal Navy.org

It got me to thinking about the difference in the sleeping accommodation for junior rates on each of the two vessels.

, HM Submarine Torbay (TwoSix TV) via YouTube.jpg

Left the caption in the image (above) - lest you had difficulty deciding which is the 'skimmers' and which is the 'deeps' :)
Sailors sleeping quarters Type 45 destroyer HMS Daring - Photo - Petty Officer (Photographer) Amanda Reynolds 45150954.jpg
Last edited by Little h on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little h
ivorthediver

Well the skimmers have the comfort but the deeps have the intimacy is my view Harry .

I dont know how they do it , I couldn't thats for sure :(
Little h

ivorthediver wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:40 pm ......... but the deeps have the intimacy is my view Harry .

I dont know how they do it , I couldn't thats for sure :(
Well Ivor, the image below is more representative of the sleeping arrangements provided for our team of riders, in the last boat I was in. Difference being that the bunks(cots) were three deep, but plenty of big steel 'fish' for company all around us.

_61893617_bunk BBC News.jpg

In 'O' boats; more likely a campbed on the bottom fish-rack near the deck in the 'cathedral' similar to this compartment:-
1 HMCS-Ojibwa_torpedo-tubes.jpg

In 'A' boats; campbed in fwd torpedo handling compartment(see below) or after-ends
4878474817_345604285d_b.jpg

Attribution; Anguskirk Flickr-Taken on August 8, 2010 (Commons Wiki licence)
Little h
ivorthediver

Well...... neither of the two Submarines Iv'e been in or these photos are reassuring Harry .

I would be alright walking through one or even travelling on the surface but thats as much as I could handle without erring on the edge of panic , which I know is ridicules......... but there it is .

I was a competent advanced Diver on mixed gases and became an Instructor diver and experienced a few close calls including entrapment underwater , where my training kicked in and I surfaced quite exhilarated if the truth be told , but I was in control of the situation and not even flustered , but in a bulk like that with so many variables is not for me and would cause me to panic , which I acknowledge is a defect in my make up , but there you go I am sure there are things I would do.... that you would back away from ........but none of us are perfect

forgive my manners ...but thank you for showing those photo's to us all very grateful :)
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Thanks for that I'll make a note to watch that David :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”