RN Battlecruisers: Indefatigable Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

The Indefatigable Class of Battlecruisers were all completed prior to the First World War and comprised Indefatigable, HMAS Australia and New Zealand.
Some Class photos:

Jim

Indefatigable

HMS%20INDEFATIGABLE[1].jpg
indefatigable 1914.jpg
indefatigable-(1912).jpg

HMAS Australia

HMS AUSTRALIA TAKEN FROM FORTH BRIDGE DURING WW1.jpg
HMS Australia1.jpg
HMS Australia30.jpg

New Zealand

HMS%20New%20Zealand%20pic%205[1].jpg
HMS%20NewZealand..[1].jpg
new zealand nept herc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Re: RN Battlecruisers: Indefatigable Class

Unread post by ivorthediver »

A class and type I know little about Jim , but thanks for sharing these photo's
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

HMS New Zealand pictured c1914..She was one of three Indefatigable-Class Battlecruisers built for the defence of the British Empire. Launched in 1911, she was funded from donations by New Zealanders as a gift to Britain, and she was commissioned into the Royal Navy in 1912. She had been intended for the China Station, but was released by the New Zealand government at the request of the Admiralty for service in British waters.
During 1913, New Zealand was sent on a ten-month tour of the British Dominions, with an emphasis on a visit to her namesake nation. She was back in British waters at the start of World War I, and operated as part of the Royal Navy's Grand Fleet, in opposition to the German High Seas Fleet. During the war, the Battlecruiser participated in all three of the major North Sea battles—Heligoland Bight, Dogger Bank, and Jutland—and was involved in the response to the inconclusive Raid on Scarborough, and the Second Battle of Heligoland Bight. New Zealand contributed to the destruction of two Cruisers during her wartime service and was hit by enemy fire only once, sustaining no casualties; her status as a "lucky ship" was attributed by the crew to a Māori piupiu (warrior's skirt) and hei-tiki (pendant) worn by the captain during battle.
After the war, New Zealand was sent on a second world tour, this time to allow Admiral John Jellicoe to review the naval defences of the Dominions. In 1920, the Battlecruiser was placed in reserve. She was broken up for scrap in 1922 in order to meet Britain's tonnage limit in the disarmament provisions of the Washington Naval Treaty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

The ONE Triumph cured me; I left a trail of oil and broken parts all over S. California......... :( A very expen$ive trail. When it ran, very good bike for the time...when it ran....... :(

Back to the battle cruisers, even a small one! ;) DFO
ivorthediver

But Dennis they last much longer with an oil change , and why were you spreading oil over half of the states wasn't one enough :o

Never mind you managed to survive long enough before you bought your Harley ;) Thanks for the photo's
designeraccd

Only 5 Hardleez out of my total of 69 bikes!! ;) DFO
ivorthediver

designeraccd wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:26 pm Only 5 Hardleez out of my total of 69 bikes!! ;) DFO
OK I'll buy it .....which shed are they stored in then , can't see many oil patches here ;)
designeraccd

Hondas don't leak!! OTOH my vertically split crankcase '74 Yamaha RD 250...does, after all these years...:( Triumphs suffered from same problem, but started leaking if oil was put in; at least it seemed that way :o

A nice bow view of NEW ZEALAND, note added "state room". :) DFO
Brian James

Indefatigable Class Battlecruiser HMS New Zealand (bought and paid for by generous donations from the NZ general public),pictured on her visit to Lyttleton in 1913.
Brian James

Ships Company off Indefatigable Class Battlecruiser HMS New Zealand,enjoy a day at the Wellington Races,NZ,April 15th 1913.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”