RN Destroyers: Type 45 Daring Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Destroyers: Type 45 Daring Class

Unread post by Pelican »

DIAMOND

STINGRAY - Our embarked Wildcat Helicopter Maritime Attack (HMA) Mk2 of 815 NA, rolled for Anti Submarine Warfare and fitted with the enhanced capability Stingray Torpedo. The 815 Sqn Motto ‘STRIKE DEEP’
For photos see - https://twitter.com/hmsdiamond/status/1 ... 6927343624
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Upgrading the Royal Navy’s Type 45 Destroyers

The Type 45 Destroyer is the Royal Navy’s primary Anti-Air Warfare (AAW) vessel. Other than the propulsion issues discussed in depth elsewhere, this article documents what has already been done to upgrade the class and the potential improvements to be applied later in their service lives.

When the first in class, HMS Daring, was launched in 2006 she was seen as being amongst the most advanced warships ever built, boasting the capable Sampson radar and Aster missile system to counter air threats that were proven deadly during the Falklands War and other conflicts. Despite being world-class when entering service, as time passes, systems are at risk of obsolescence following a lack of investment and development post-commissioning. The Type 45s have now been in service for an average of more than 10 years and there is a need for updates to weapons, sensors and defensive systems to keep pace with evolving threats.

Sea Viper evolution (SV-E)
SV-E is the term now given to the intended upgrades to the Type 45’s Sea Viper air defence system. This involves upgrades to the radar, missiles and C2 system with a focus on Anti-Ship Ballistic Missile Defence (ASBMD).

While it was only recently that the term ‘Sea Viper Evolution’ became public in a Government response to a UK Parliament Defence Committee report, ASBMD has been a long-standing aspiration of the Royal Navy as ASBMs become as prevalent as the conventional cruise missiles Sea Viper was designed to counter.

The now fully funded Sea Viper Evolution (SV-E) Capability 1 will see the Type 45’s current Aster 30 ‘block 0’ missiles retrofitted to block 1 standard at the Munition Maintenance Installation Facility at Gosport. This involves new guidance software and electronics to enable the interception of ballistic missiles and a new dual AAW/BMD warhead to enhance the probability of Kill (pK) upon intercept. It will also either see the shorter range Aster 15 missiles discarded or upgraded to Aster 30 B1 standard by replacing the first stage booster (currently the only difference between Aster 15 and 30). The gap in very short range (1.5-3km) engagement envelope created by eliminating Aster 15 will be filled by the addition of 24 Sea Ceptor missiles in the space originally left for 16 strike-length VLS (Vertical Launch System) cells.

This enables the Type 45 to engage Short Range Ballistic Missiles (SRBMs) of the ~600km range class over an entire 360° Local Area Defence (LAD) zone and greatly increase overall magazine capacity.

Continues at - https://www.navylookout.com/upgrading-t ... estroyers/

This section maybe of interest Harry:
Electronic support measures - Communications Electronic Support Measures (C-ESM).
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

DEFENDER - F35s

UK and Norwegian F-35s operating from Keflavík airbase over HMS Defender during NATO and Joint Expeditionary Force exercises off Iceland.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

BAE Systems brings HMS Dragon PIP conversion to Portsmouth

BAE Systems has switched the major power generation upgrade for the UK Royal Navy (RN) Type 45 air defence destroyer HMS Dragon from the Cammell Laird yard in Birkenhead to its own facilities in Portsmouth Naval Base.

The move is intended to accelerate the delivery of the Power Improvement Project (PIP), under which each ship will receive three 3 MW-rated Rolls-Royce Power Systems MTU 20V 4000 M53B diesel alternators – replacing the two 2 MW Wärtsilä 12V200 generator sets fitted at build – to increase electrical generation capacity onboard. The WR-21 Gas Turbine Alternators (GTAs) will remain to provide boost power as necessary but will be used less often.

The Type 45's Integrated Electric Propulsion (IEP) system has been beset by problems since build. Operating experience has highlighted a lack of resilience and redundancy in the current power and propulsion arrangement, in large part attributed to the of the poor reliability of the Rolls-Royce WR-21 GTAs, two of which are fitted in each ship.

See - https://www.janes.com/defence-news/nava ... portsmouth
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Type 45 Air Defence Destroyer HMS Diamond pictured as she enters Portsmouth yesterday following NATO deployment in the Mediterranean.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Duncan

Finally off the wall and cold-moved onto the UHAF this morning as she prepares to return to the fleet following refit.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Daring

Hull opened up for replacement of old diesel generator as she begins Power Improvement Package (PIP) in dry dock at Cammell Laird (Forward machinery room, port side on 5 deck)
Photos at - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 2993214466
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

DUNCAN & DAUNTLESS

HMS Duncan has not had the engine upgrade during this refit (PIP). The project has to be balanced with maintaining Type 45 availability in the fleet.

HMS Dauntless is 11 months behind schedule but due to return to sea this month.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Launchers for Outfit DLF (3b) inflatable floating decoys
Go to - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 08/photo/1 - and click on first photo to see comments and info.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy’s Type 45 destroyers – reaching their full potential with addition of Sea Ceptor missiles

MBDA announced today that the Type 45 destroyers will be enhanced with 24 Sea Ceptor missile cells. Here we consider the implications of this significant upgrade to the Royal Navy’s primary air defence platform.

The Integrated Review published in March 2021 promised enhancements to the Sea Viper missile system, but the news that Type 45s will receive additional missiles is a big step forward and a welcome surprise. A new 24-missile Sea Ceptor silo will be added in front of the current 48-missile Sylver VLS silo (See speculative mockup above), increasing the overall missile capacity from 48 to 72. Not only does this raise overall missile numbers by 50%, but also offers the potential to increase the range and reach of the existing Sea Viper system.

There has been considerable speculation that US-made Mk41 VLS might be fitted to the Type 45s, potentially to carry Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles (TLAM) or even SM-3 missiles for anti-ballistic missile defence. Despite the adoption of Mk41 on the Type 26 frigate, Mk41 will not now be fitted to the Type 45s.

Continues at - https://www.navylookout.com/royal-navys ... -missiles/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”