RN Destroyers: Type 45 Daring Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Destroyers: Type 45 Daring Class

Unread post by Pelican »

Caribbean deployment proves Type 45 Destroyer engine fix

HMS Dauntless, a Royal Navy Type 45 destroyer, has returned home after successfully completing a deployment in the Caribbean, underscoring the success of its recent engine upgrades.

See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/caribbe ... 0HiiQYCcaI
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy

Sea Viper is the Navy's first line of defence against air attacks.
Over the past month it has been fired in combat for the first time by HMS Diamond to protect shipping in the Red Sea.
See video at - https://twitter.com/RoyalNavy/status/17 ... 8502726725
Details of T45s at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/equipment/ ... ring-class
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Tom Sharpe

Compare and contrast:
Captain of USS Eisenhower Chowdah Hill - 10 tweets in last 24 hours.
HMS Diamond - last tweet, a RT on 23 December.
Who’s got it right?

[After all we are The Silent Service]
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout
Announced in May 2022 but formalised this week as MBDA awarded 3 contracts worth around £400M for Sea Viper Evolution (SV-E) to provide the Type 45 destroyers with anti-ballistic missile capability.
Existing missile stocks all being converted to Aster 30 and given new guidance software and electronics, plus upgrades to Sampson radar and Command & Control system.
As ever progress is slow and project won't complete until 2032.
See, note dated May 2022 - https://www.navylookout.com/royal-navy- ... apability/
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

That's alright........ I'm sure our advisory's will postpone any aggression till then :roll:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Status of the Type 45 Destroyer fleet

Half of the Type 45 Destroyer fleet is available and ready for tasking, according to the Ministry of Defence.
The information came to light via the following response to a Parliamntary written quuestion.

John Healey, Shadow Secretary of State for Defence, asked:

“To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what the current status is of each of the Royal Navy’s Type 45 destroyers”.

James Cartlidge, Minister of State for the Ministry of Defence, responded:

“HMS Diamond, HMS Duncan and HMS Dauntless are all currently available for operations. HMS Daring, HMS Dragon and HMS Defender are all currently at various stages of the Power Improvement Project (PIP).”

Type 45
The Royal Navy says that the Daring class consists of six Type 45 destroyers (HMS Daring, Dauntless, Diamond, Dragon, Defender, and Duncan) that were purposely built for anti-aircraft and anti-missile warfare. The destroyers all feature a ‘clean’ exterior superstructure thanks to their deck equipment and life rafts being concealed behind panels. The ships are fitted with a Fully Integrated Communications System (FICS45), which provides voice, intercom, data links, and conference calls – both internally and externally. This comms suite also includes a Meteorology and Oceanography (METOC) system for total awareness of the ship’s surroundings.

The Sea Viper missile system can target and destroy multiple targets simultaneously.
Designed to protect both land and sea forces from aircraft attacks and defend the naval fleet against supersonic anti-ship missiles, Sea Viper is the principal weapon system of the Daring Class of destroyers. Comprising of long-range and missile-directing radars, a combat control centre and vertical missile silos, Sea Viper can launch eight missiles in under ten seconds and guide up to 16 missiles simultaneously.

Source UKDJ
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

MOD confirms Sea Viper upgrade initial operating date

John Healey MP, Shadow Secretary of State for Defence, recently submitted a written question to the Ministry of Defence (MOD) regarding the Sea Viper missile system upgrades on the Type 45 destroyers.
The question referenced the MOD’s news story, published on 21 January 2024, about the planned enhancements:

“To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, with reference to his Department’s news story entitled Navy Missile System used to destroy Red Sea drones to be upgraded, published on 21 January 2024, what the initial operating capability date is for the enhancements to the Type 45 destroyers Sea Viper missile system.”

Healey also inquired about which ship would be the first to receive these upgrades:
See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/mod-con ... ting-date/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

MOD confirms when Type 45 Destroyers will leave service

John Healey MP, Shadow Secretary of State for Defence, sought clarity on the decommissioning schedule of the Royal Navy’s Type 45 destroyers:
“To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what the out of service date is for the Royal Navy’s fleet of Type 45 destroyers.”

James Cartlidge, the Minister of State at the Ministry of Defence (MOD), responded:

“On current plans, the last Type 45 Destroyer will retire from service by the end of 2038.”

Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/mod-con ... e-service/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Diamond
DIAMOND’s 💎 highly skilled and professional Weapon Engineers maintain the ship's Weapons, Sensors and Communications to ensure DIAMOND is ready for any tasking as required.
Photos at - https://twitter.com/hmsdiamond/status/1 ... 35/photo/1
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

British Destroyer ‘breathes fire’ as refit hits milestone

HMS Dragon is eyeing a return to the fleet in 2024 as work to install new engines reaches a notable milestone, say the Royal Navy here.

The Type 45 destroyer has been undergoing major upgrades in Portsmouth since March 2022 and, nearly two years on, one of Dragon’s new engines has been started for the first time as part of critical trials.

The ship is the latest of her class – after HMS Dauntless and HMS Daring – to go through the Power Improvement Project (PIP), which addresses the resilience of the engines and power generation driving the many hi-tech sensors, systems and weapons on board.

See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/british ... milestone/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”