RN Destroyers: Type 45 Daring Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Destroyers: Daring Class Type 45

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Defender, a Type 45 Destroyer belonging to HMS Queen Elizabeth’s Carrier Strike Group, is sailing to the Black Sea despite Russian warnings that it is ‘tracking the movements of the British warship’.

HMS Defender has completed NATO security operations in the Mediterranean and will be heading to the Black Sea after a stop in Istanbul.

The Type 45 destroyer is part of the UK’s Carrier Strike Group but has peeled away from the task group temporarily to carry out her own set of missions in the Black Sea.

“Over the past few weeks Portsmouth-based Defender completed intensive training and worked on Operation Sea Guardian, NATO’s mission in the Mediterranean to deter and counter terrorism. Defender is now in Istanbul with Dutch frigate HNLMS Evertsen – which is also part of the Carrier Strike Group – and will be hosting representatives from the Turkish government, business world, armed forces and defence sector during her stay there.”

Continues at:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/british ... -warnings/
Link from Tim.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

U.K. Denies Russia Claim Warning Shots Fired at Warship

Russia said it used bombs and gunfire in “warning shots” to force a British Navy destroyer to leave waters it claims in the Black Sea, but the U.K. rejected that, saying it was likely a “gunnery exercise” that didn’t affect the ship’s planned voyage.

The Defense Ministry in Moscow said the confrontation took place Wednesday off Cape Fiolent, south of its Sevastopol naval base in Crimea, which the U.K. and its allies don’t recognize as Russian territory after President Vladimir Putin’s 2014 annexation of the strategic peninsula from Ukraine. The contradictory accounts underline the frictions remaining between the U.K. and Russia even as Putin and the U.S. move to patch up ties.

Russia said the Black Sea incident lasted about half an hour, with the HMS Defender entering waters Moscow claims as its own by about three kilometers (2 miles) and ignoring radio warnings. The Defender continued even after a Russian Border Patrol warship fired its cannon, leaving the area when an Su-24 aircraft dropped four bombs on its course, the Defense Ministry said.

The U.K. rejected that account, saying no warning shots were fired and noting Russia was conducting a “gunnery exercise” in the area.

“This morning, HMS Defender carried out a routine transit from Odessa towards Georgia across the Black Sea,” Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said. “As is normal for this route, she entered an internationally recognized traffic separation corridor. She exited that corridor safely at 0945BST. As is routine, Russian vessels shadowed her passage and she was made aware of training exercises in her wider vicinity.”
Continues with images at:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... CzxjkmWNco
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Was HMS Defender ‘targeted’ by the Russians in the Black Sea?

https://www.navylookout.com/was-hms-def ... e7jWNb1yTk
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

More absolute rubbish babbled by the sensation driven Press!..IMHO...the standard of what is jokingly passed for journalism over the years has dwindled to peddling this type of 'Dr Goebbels garbage' on a daily basis...
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:31 pm U.K. Denies Russia Claim Warning Shots Fired at Warship

Russia said it used bombs and gunfire in “warning shots” to force a British Navy destroyer to leave waters it claims in the Black Sea, but the U.K. rejected that, saying it was likely a “gunnery exercise” that didn’t affect the ship’s planned voyage.

The Defense Ministry in Moscow said the confrontation took place Wednesday off Cape Fiolent, south of its Sevastopol naval base in Crimea, which the U.K. and its allies don’t recognize as Russian territory after President Vladimir Putin’s 2014 annexation of the strategic peninsula from Ukraine. The contradictory accounts underline the frictions remaining between the U.K. and Russia even as Putin and the U.S. move to patch up ties.

Russia said the Black Sea incident lasted about half an hour, with the HMS Defender entering waters Moscow claims as its own by about three kilometers (2 miles) and ignoring radio warnings. The Defender continued even after a Russian Border Patrol warship fired its cannon, leaving the area when an Su-24 aircraft dropped four bombs on its course, the Defense Ministry said.

The U.K. rejected that account, saying no warning shots were fired and noting Russia was conducting a “gunnery exercise” in the area.

“This morning, HMS Defender carried out a routine transit from Odessa towards Georgia across the Black Sea,” Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said. “As is normal for this route, she entered an internationally recognized traffic separation corridor. She exited that corridor safely at 0945BST. As is routine, Russian vessels shadowed her passage and she was made aware of training exercises in her wider vicinity.”
Continues with images at:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... CzxjkmWNco
See - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-57587777
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Type 45 Air Defence Destroyer HMS Defender pictured as she arrives at the Black Sea port of Batumi, Georgia, June 26th, 2021.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

DRAGON - Plenty of photos here:

https://www.facebook.com/Jim-Gibson-Pho ... 8963844468

Scroll to right.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Royal Navy’s premier shield against air attack will be bristling with missiles thanks to a £500m upgrade.

All six Type 45 destroyers are adding the Sea Ceptor system to their arsenal – an extra layer of protection for the ships and the task groups they protect.

In addition, the Portsmouth-based vessels’ existing Sea Viper system – their principal weapon system and first line of defence against air attack – will also be enhanced.

Sea Ceptor is already in service with all 13 Type 23 frigates and will be installed in their successor class currently under construction, the Type 26 and 31 classes.

It’s smaller and has a shorter range than Sea Viper, but Sea Ceptor can protect an area the size of Greater Manchester (500 square miles/1,300 square kilometres) engaging multiple targets simultaneously, reaching speeds of up to three times the speed of sound as it intercepts.

As well as incoming missiles and aircraft – and unlike Sea Viper – Sea Ceptor is able to engage small surface targets, such as fast attack craft.

Continues at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... sea-ceptor
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:17 pm The Royal Navy’s premier shield against air attack will be bristling with missiles thanks to a £500m upgrade.

All six Type 45 destroyers are adding the Sea Ceptor system to their arsenal – an extra layer of protection for the ships and the task groups they protect.

In addition, the Portsmouth-based vessels’ existing Sea Viper system – their principal weapon system and first line of defence against air attack – will also be enhanced.

Sea Ceptor is already in service with all 13 Type 23 frigates and will be installed in their successor class currently under construction, the Type 26 and 31 classes.

It’s smaller and has a shorter range than Sea Viper, but Sea Ceptor can protect an area the size of Greater Manchester (500 square miles/1,300 square kilometres) engaging multiple targets simultaneously, reaching speeds of up to three times the speed of sound as it intercepts.

As well as incoming missiles and aircraft – and unlike Sea Viper – Sea Ceptor is able to engage small surface targets, such as fast attack craft.

Continues at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... sea-ceptor
Royal Navy’s Type 45 destroyers – reaching their full potential with addition of Sea Ceptor missiles

MBDA announced today that the Type 45 destroyers will be enhanced with 24 Sea Ceptor missile cells. Here we consider the implications of this significant upgrade to the Royal Navy’s primary air defence platform.

Continues at:
https://www.navylookout.com/royal-navys ... 8Eup-xXkPc
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”