RN Destroyers: Type 45 Daring Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Destroyers: Daring Class Type 45

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy News

A happy Pickle Night to all senior ratings across the Royal Navy who’ll be marking their part in the triumph at Trafalgar today.
The tradition actually dates back less than half a century to the mid 1970s, when senior ratings in Portsmouth asked for their own Trafalgar Night.
Their request was warmly received but with guest speakers tied up on or around October 21, the date of November 6 was selected instead – the anniversary of news reaching the Admiralty of both the victory and the death of Admiral Nelson.
The man delivering the news was the Commanding Officer of HMS Pickle, who dashed with his ship from the field of battle to Falmouth, then raced to London by horse-drawn coach.
Thus was born Pickle Night. It traditional involves donning the uniform of the day – straw hats, striped T-shirts – and sitting down to a contemporary meal, typically stew followed by spotted dick pudding. It ends with the reciting of Nelson’s famous prayer from the morning of battle and the singing of contemporary shanties.
Senior rates aboard HMS Dragon – currently deployed in the Med with the Littoral Response Group – held their Pickle Night a few days early for operational reasons and gave their entire mess an 1805 feel with tables, flooring, sacks and ropes all mimicking the days of Nelson.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Type 45 Air Defence Destroyer HMS Dauntless pictured undocking from Cammell Laird Shipyard,Merseyside,with a cold move today in the next stage of her Power Improvement Project.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Type 45 Air Defence Destroyer HMS Defender's Agusta-Westland AW 159 Wildcat 'Abbey'.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Type 45 Destroyers out of service dates revealed

On current plans, the Type 45 destroyers will leave service between 2035 and 2038.
Kevan Jones, MP for North Durham, asked via a written question:

“To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what the retirement date is of each Type 45 destroyer.”

Jeremy Quin, Minister of State for the Ministry of Defence, responded:
“On current plans, the Type 45 destroyers will leave service between 2035 and 2038.”
The first ship in the Daring class, HMS Daring, was launched in February 2006 and commissioned in July 2009.

What might replace the Type 45 Destroyer?
The Type 4X, the Type 45 Destroyer replacement, is just an early concept at this stage but a variant of the Type 26 Frigate is officially being considered for the job.

The UK Defence Journal earlier chatted to Paul Sweeney, former MP for Glasgow North East and former shipbuilder, about the vessel. I have been told that consideration is already being given to the development of an Anti-Air Warfare variant of the Type 26, a variant that will function as a future replacement for the Type 45 Destroyer fleet – the programme is currently referred to as as T4X.

You can read more about it here:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/the-typ ... h-warship/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS DEFENDER HEADS ON INTENSIVE TRAINING AHEAD OF GLOBAL CARRIER DEPLOYMENT
26 February 2021
HMS Defender has sailed from Portsmouth today for intensive training to prepare for missions around the world this spring on HMS Queen Elizabeth’s landmark deployment.

The Type 45 destroyer departs for sea trials and training to ready the ship’s cutting-edge kit and crew for a busy year on operations after a period of essential maintenance.

Defender is earmarked for upcoming missions in the Mediterranean, Middle East and Asia-Pacific region on HMS Queen Elizabeth’s Carrier Strike Group 21 mission.

Continues, incl. photos, at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... er-departs
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Ballistic missile defence and the Type 45 Destroyer

The purpose of this article is to examine the options the Royal Navy has for improving the BMD (Ballistic Missile Defence) capabilities of the Type 45 Destroyer.

See:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/ballist ... UwwAKJb1U8
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

DRAGON

Type 45 destroyer HMS Dragon proved her abilities to defeat missile and air attacks during the largest international test of its type off Scotland.
Dragon’s weapons and sensors proved themselves against everything fired against a NATO task force – from ballistic missiles to supersonic targets.

See:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... ile-firing

And:
https://www.facebook.com/royalnavy/vide ... 9604876002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

How much does it cost to operate a Type 45 Destroyer?

The Ministry of Defence have confirmed that it costs around £126,000 per year to operate a Type 45 Destroyer.
The information came to light after a written question was submitted in Parliament.
See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/how-muc ... destroyer/
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Pelican wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:18 pm How much does it cost to operate a Type 45 Destroyer?

The Ministry of Defence have confirmed that it costs around £126,000 per year to operate a Type 45 Destroyer.
The information came to light after a written question was submitted in Parliament.
See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/how-muc ... destroyer/
I bet they wish if would be £126,000 per year. £126,000 is the DAILY cost to operate them.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”