RN Destroyers: Type 45 Daring Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Destroyers: Daring Class Type 45

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:37 pm
Pelican wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:59 am Savetheroyalnavy.org

HMS Dragon currently dry-docked in D-Lock, Portsmouth.
Remind me David , how long will this keep her out of service please
Ivor see - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-dau ... -in-2021/- don't expect quick replies from me as I have problems with site, notifications not coming up and all posts have a white rather than a blue background.
Jim if you see this is there any way I can do some sort of a reset which will get me back to square one? :?: No problems with other sites etc.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Pelican wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:46 pm

Ivor see - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-dau ... -in-2021/- don't expect quick replies from me as I have problems with site, notifications not coming up and all posts have a white rather than a blue background.
Jim if you see this is there any way I can do some sort of a reset which will get me back to square one? :?: No problems with other sites etc.
I don't think that will work and Jack is looking into the problem, which is currently beyond our control.

JIm
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

jbryce1437 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:19 pm
Pelican wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:46 pm

I don't think that will work and Jack is looking into the problem, which is currently beyond our control.

JIm
Thanks Jim, just to cfm that I've seen yours.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well I am glad I'm not the only one David , but thanks for your opinion that I also share as will many others I am sure.

Such a shame that even this site is suffering from a VIRUS
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

In focus – the Royal Navy’s Sampson Radar
Naval radar is a highly technical and sensitive subject but here we provide a basic overview of the world-renowned SAMPSON Multi-Function Radar (MFR) that is integral to the air defence capabilities of the RN’s Type 45 destroyers.

A short history
The UK benefits from a legacy of expertise in radar, having led the world in pioneering its development during WWII. The technical foundations of the SAMPSON radar pre-date the Type 45 destroyers considerably and by the time the last unit was manufactured, represented the culmination of nearly 30 years of research and development.

The MESAR (Multi-function Electronically Scanned Adaptive Radar) programme was a technology demonstrator started in 1982 as a partnership between the MoD (DERA), Roke Manor Research and Plessey. MESAR-1 was an S-band prototype active array multifunction radar which was developed between 1989-1995. This was revolutionary, being the first example of a radar the combined Transmit/Recieve (TxRx) modules and anti-jamming digital adaptive beamforming techniques.

MESAR-2 was in development from 1995 and tested between 1999-2001 employing a new antenna design, a new T/R-module and featuring microwave solid-state power amplification and phase shifting. MESAR-2 was primarily intended to explore Ballistic Missile Defence capability and detection of low-level targets over sea and land. MESAR was never intended for production but SAMPSON built on much of the architecture they had pioneered, including gallium arsenide (GaAs) semiconductors, multiple low power modules and air cooling.

Radar was of the many reasons the UK left the Horizon frigate project in 1999 (an attempt to develop a common air defence warship with France and Italy). Needing genuine area air defence capability for its aircraft carrier group, the RN had much higher demands for long-range coverage. The Europeans planned to use the less capable EMPAR system, refusing the ‘not invented here’ SAMPSON option.

A series of mergers and take-overs through the years meant the SAMPSON project was owned by several different corporate entities through its development and manufacture. Some design work on SAMPSON, an operational derivative of the MESAR, was initiated in 1989, although not made public until 1991. Siemens-Plessy hoped it would be ready by 1994 but progress was slow, no prototype was made and MESAR-2 took priority. Plessy was taken over by a BAE Systems joint venture with Finmeccanica called Alenia Marconi Systems in 1998. This was subsequently dissolved and taken over by BAE Systems Integrated System Technologies (BAES Insyte). Insyte was merged into BAES naval business in 2010.

The first three Type 45 destroyers were ordered in November 1999 and by September 2002, BAES Insyte had completed a dedicated SAMPSON test facility at their Cowes site on the Isle of Wight. The first transmission from a SAMPSON unit was made in March 2004 while the first prototype (P1) was fitted to a representative Type 45 foremast later that year. P1 completed testing in June 2006 and was transferred to the Eskmeals range in Cumbria for further trials and integration work.

In 2006 the second prototype (P2) was fitted to the Longbow barge for Aster missile live-firing trials which took place in late 2007. A third prototype (P3) was installed at the Maritime Integration and Support Center (MISC) at Portsdown hill in 2006. HMS Daring was fitted with the first production radar in April 2007 at the shipyard in Scotstoun and manufacture of the final unit for HMS Duncan was completed in July 2011.

Continues with images etc. at:
https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/in-foc ... Eq5Q_uCjbk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

How many days did the Type 45 Destroyers spend at sea in recent years?
June 3, 202018
Have you wondered how many days the Type 45 Destroyer fleet spent at sea over the last few years?

The information below comes from a response to a written Parliamentary question.
“The normal operating cycle of every ship involves them entering different readiness levels depending on their programmes, periods of refit and Departmental planning requirements”, said Jeremy Quin, the Minister of State at the Ministry of Defence.
“In addition, these figures represent days at sea, and it should be noted that, while deployed away from the UK, ships will spend both days at sea and alongside in ports around the world.”
See attached.
From UKDJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Thanks David , Would I be correct in thinking the docked time was due to refits which frankly conveniently assisted the MOD budget funding :roll:
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:03 pm Thanks David , Would I be correct in thinking the docked time was due to refits which frankly conveniently assisted the MOD budget funding :roll:
No idea Ivor, as is known numbers can be arranged to tell any story you wish, especially when politics are involved. :roll:
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

It would be interesting to compare the 45 Darings with the 50's Darings because by my recollection they also spent very little time at sea compared to their WW2 Counterparts still operating and the Type 15 Conversions . Darings by nature seem to be cashcows in spades.
ivorthediver

Pelican wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:49 pm
ivorthediver wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:03 pm Thanks David , Would I be correct in thinking the docked time was due to refits which frankly conveniently assisted the MOD budget funding :roll:
No idea Ivor, as is known numbers can be arranged to tell any story you wish, especially when politics are involved. :roll:
I see we went to the same school David , when it comes to politics and bean counters,....its rapidly getting to be a lottery as to " which one shall we use next week" where before it was blamed on Maning criteria ut thats now out of fashion.............. So I aspect its a case of ....well we will have to finish one of these off soon and get it finished , which one can we afford today ...only one mind you :evil:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”