RN Destroyers: Type 45 Daring Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Destroyers: Daring Class Type 45

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Diamond suffers serious defect during Carrier Strike Group deployment

It has emerged that one of the two Type 45 destroyers accompanying the Carrier Strike Group, HMS Diamond has suffered a defect and remains alongside in a Mediterranean port, having not transited the Suez Canal with the rest of the ships.

HMS Diamond visited Alexandria in Egypt in late June before arriving in Larnaca, Cyprus. She sailed on 5th July but did not join the CSG which passed through the canal on the 7th July. Diamond subsequently came alongside at the NATO pier in Augusta, Sicily although the repair may be undertaken at a more suitable port.

A Royal Navy spokesman told Navy Lookout “HMS Diamond has experienced some technical issues and has detached from the Task Group for maintenance, inspection and any necessary repairs. She is expected to re-join the Task Group.” Unofficial sources suggest she has suffered a WR21 gas turbine engine failure and the unit may need to be replaced.

Continues at:
https://www.navylookout.com/hms-diamond ... Ta-ZYQM4oA
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Impressive Type 45 Air-Defense Destroyer

The British Royal Navy’s six Type 45 Daring-class guided-missile destroyers were built to replace the 1970s/80s-era Type 42 Sheffield class, applying hard-earned lessons from the 1982 Falkland Islands War and after. The resulting warships are considered among the most impressive and capable air-defense assets in service.

Continues at:
https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedi ... idwyZQ3Q9g
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Countess of Wessex visited HM Naval Base Portsmouth to meet the engineers and logisticians working on HMS Daring, the Type 45 destroyer of which she is sponsor.

The Type 45 Refit Support Group, led by Lt Cdr Jason Wyatt, is regenerating Daring for frontline operations and hosted Her Royal Highness during the morning’s tour of the ship and dock facilities.
The Countess has keenly followed the progress of the lead Type 45 destroyer, having launched the ship on the Clyde in 2006 and last visited while Daring was on deployment to the Black Sea in 2017.ntess of Wessex visited HM Naval Base Portsmouth to meet the engineers and logisticians working on HMS Daring, the Type 45 destroyer of which she is sponsor.
Continues, including 4 photos, at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... g-countess
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

What is the status of each Type 45 Destroyer?

The Ministry of Defence has detailed the status of each Type 45 Destroyer in the fleet.
The information came to light in response to a written question submitted in the House of Commons.
Mark Francois, Member of Parliament for Rayleigh and Wickford, asked:
Continues at:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/what-is ... bL9gT4cTR4
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Sir HUMPHREY SPEAKS

"5 Out of 6 Ain't Bad" - Why Type 45 Availability Isn't a Cause for Worry

Does the Royal Navy have enough ships to meet the tasks placed on it? This was a question asked yesterday following suggestions that there was only one operational Type 45 destroyer, and all the rest were “out of action”. Is this criticism accurate, or is there more to this than meets the eye?

Warship availability is perennially tricky subject to discuss. There is perhaps a not unreasonable expectation in the eyes of the public that having spent a lot of money on ships, that these ships are in turn ready for action when required, and not be ‘loafing’ in port or ‘broken’.

The Type 45 force in particular has been the subject of a lot of attention, particularly over power plant issues. There is a perception that somehow the UK does not have working ships, or enough of them.

Continues at:
https://thinpinstripedline.blogspot.com ... CUiSB7SQ0Q
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

HMS Defender is currently the only operationally available Type 45 Air Defence Destroyer. Diamond recently detached from CSG21 due to technical issues; Daring, Duncan, and Dragon are undergoing maintenance; and Dauntless still needs sea trials after Power Improvement Project refits...Disgraceful situation IMHO!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Sailors back on board modernized HMS Duncan

The 180-strong HMS Duncan ship’s company have returned to their destroyer after an 18-month upkeep period at HM Naval Base Portsmouth.

Having returned from operational duty in the Gulf at the end of 2019, Duncan has been supported by BAE Systems throughout her refit with the aim now of getting her back to sea later this year.

Commanding Officer, Commander Hugh Harris, said: “HMS Duncan has been one of the Fleet’s workhorses over the previous couple of years with deployments to the Gulf, Black Sea, Mediterranean and twice leading a NATO maritime group. She certainly earned her time alongside for these improvements.
“Her refit will make her more capable on operations and more comfortable for the men and women under my command; our job now is to get her ready for sea and whatever operations we are tasked with thereafter.”

Improvements to communications systems, safety equipment, living quarters and galleys, including overhauls of machinery and weapons have been made. All of these have been completed in spite of the Covid-control measures the naval base’s workforce have been operating under since March last year.

Continues at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... hms-duncan
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout

Good news. hms diamond sailed from Taranto early yesterday morning after completing repairs to major engine defect that emerged in early July.

Photos at - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 85/photo/1
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

All Type 45s to have received engine repairs by mid-2020s

The Ministry of Defence have confirmed that all Type 45 Destroyers will have recieved upgrades to their power systems by the mid-2020s.
In 2016 it was revealed that due to a design flaw on the Northrop Grumman intercooler attached to the ships Rolls-Royce WR-21 gas turbines, power availability was diminished considerably when functioning in the warm climate of the Persian Gulf; and it quickly became apparent that the class was not operating as originally envisioned with some losing power mid-deployment.

Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/all-typ ... KyX_eRGdAk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”