RN Destroyers: Type 45 Daring Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Destroyers: Type 45 Daring Class

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Defender was wind ship (turned around) to continue her maintenance at Portsmouth today exposing this patch

Photos at - https://twitter.com/AWenham1/status/1556751538315485184
Earlier photo attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout

One of the 3 new MTU V-20 diesel generators fitted (in acoustic enclosure) to HMS Dauntless
- first of the Type 45s to undergo the Power Improvement Package (PIP).
PIP work on HMS Daring and HMS Dragon also underway
See video at - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 3657487369
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:00 pm Navy Lookout

One of the 3 new MTU V-20 diesel generators fitted (in acoustic enclosure) to HMS Dauntless
- first of the Type 45s to undergo the Power Improvement Package (PIP).
PIP work on HMS Daring and HMS Dragon also underway
See video at - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 3657487369

Also see - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... ine-trials
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Type 45 Destroyer propulsion fix ‘going well’

HMS Dauntless is back in Portsmouth after three months “testing her new engines to the limit”, say the Royal Navy.
“The Type 45 destroyer has undergone extensive trials around the UK throughout the summer, laying the foundations for her five sister ships as the entire class of Portsmouth-based air defence ships undergo the same upgrade.”

The statement also adds that the trials have gone well:
See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/type-45 ... oing-well/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

On the dockside in Portsmouth - the S1850M Long Range Air Surveillance Radar removed from HMS Dragon during refit, see - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 8532634624
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

In focus: The Power Improvement Project for the Royal Navy’s Type 45 destroyers

HMS Dauntless has completed sea trials as the first ship to undergo a major upgrade to resolve the propulsion problems that have plagued the Type 45 destroyers. As part of our series covering these issues, here we report on progress and some of the technical aspects of the work.

The guinea pig
After serving for just 6 years HMS Dauntless was laid up in early 2016, ostensibly due to the shortage of sailors, she then started a major refit in Portsmouth in early 2018. This project included major refurbishment of the ship’s hull, hotel services and sensor systems. The Sampson Multi-Function Radar was removed and taken to the BAE Systems facility on the Isle of Wight for obsolescence management and overhaul. The S1850M Long Range Air Surveillance Radar was also removed and refurbished at Thales’ radar facility in the Netherlands.

Thousands of metres of cabling were replaced together with hundreds of minor works to repair fittings. Deep fat fryers, fridges, freezers and other galley equipment was refurbished or replaced. The two propellors we inspected and overhauled along with more than 200 underwater valves, motors and pumps before the hull was completely repainted. The propulsion system that had not been run for several years was recommissioned and trials were conducted to provide baseline data against which to compare performance following the upgrade.
Continues at - https://www.navylookout.com/in-focus-th ... estroyers/
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

What a bloody Farce .........its embarrassing .......will we learn from this shameful mistake ? extremely unlikely in my book :roll:

The best thing about this was your post David........ certainly not the shameless way we handled this chronically underpowered vessel :evil:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:50 pm What a bloody Farce .........its embarrassing .......will we learn from this shameful mistake ? extremely unlikely in my book :roll:

The best thing about this was your post David........ certainly not the shameless way we handled this chronically underpowered vessel :evil:
As mentioned Ivor rarely have time to reply/comment, even less now whilst trying to get to grips with a new laptop and W12 but here is a comment from an Oppo:

This woeful tale of the Type 45s and their power problems is an absolutely shameful reflection on MoD procurement practices which, if you look at the Army AJAX project, still prevails!
I know we don't like delving into politics...however! - I watched a session broadcast from the House of Lords last night and I've never heard such tripe in my life!

The much-esteemed Lord West complaining about the state of the 45s and the state of the RN generally, the response of the Lords' Govt Defence spokesperson and the interjections by many of our erstwhile betters showed a profound lack of understanding of maritime defence from procurement, support and operational requirement all across the House - including former CDS, AM Jock Stirrup!

Is it any wonder the Armed Forces are in such a state?
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Sadly NO ! David , but you would have thought that with the current list of cock ups and "Mistakes ?" we would have learnt by now and lessons to back the likes of Lord West [ who I have met and had the luxury of a friendly chat with him many years ago , and was very impressed by his obvious handle on our governments shall we say "attitude"] however he like you must be in the same boat sadly by not being able to control the ministers ignorance of life on our planet ! .... :roll:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Defender operating with GW Bush

HMS Defender operated closely with the USS George H.W. Bush as the Type 45 destroyer’s deployment “gathered pace” in the Eastern Mediterranean.
The Royal Navy say here that the Type 45 is deployed with the Royal Navy’s Littoral Response Group (North), an amphibious task force led by HMS Albion with more than 1,000 Royal Marines and sailors.
The task group includes support ships RFA Argus and RFA Mounts Bay, as well as Wildcat and Merlin helicopters.
Deployed on Op ACHILLEAN, the group is designed to react to emerging crises in European waters, and work closely with NATO allies and partners, “in an area vital to UK security and prosperity”.

Continues at - <https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/british ... ercarrier/

Link from Tim.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”