RN Destroyers: Type 45 Daring Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Destroyers: Type 45 Daring Class

Unread post by Pelican »

DAUNTLESS

Phalanx CIWS being maintained as HMS Dauntless prepares to sail from Cammell Laird shipyard soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Sea Viper’s added bite in £300m upgrade for RN destroyers’ main weapon

The Royal Navy’s destroyers are to be given extra – and enhanced – firepower to fend off the latest threats from ballistic missiles to fast-moving speedboats, jet skis and attack craft.
All six Type 45s – HM Ships Daring, Dauntless, Diamond, Dragon, Defender and Duncan – will be fitted with the Sea Ceptor missile system on top of crucial upgrades to the destroyers’ principal weapon, the Sea Viper.

Each destroyer carries up to 48 Sea Viper missiles, each held in a vertical-launch silo on the forecastle, each capable of taking out aerial threats at ranges up to 75 miles away, accelerating out of its launcher to reach speeds in excess of four times the speed of sound, manoeuvring for the kill at G forces no human can withstand.

It relies on two distinctive radar systems – the Sampson (spinning spiked egg) and Long Range (large black slab) – which are able to track hundreds of targets as far as 250 miles away.

The £300m-plus package to upgrade the system – known as Sea Viper Evolution – covers the Aster 30 missile itself as well as the Sampson radar and the command/control system. It will support 54 jobs in the UK at sites from the Isle of Wight to Hertfordshire, Bristol and Bolton.

The evolution upgrade is designed to deal with the increasing threats posed by anti-ship ballistic missiles, ensuring the Type 45 is able to defend the Fleet – especially Carrier Strike Groups – against complex air threats both now and into the future.

“Sea Viper has proven itself to be an outstanding weapon system during its first decade in service, providing the Royal Navy with formidable lethality against aerial threats,” said Fleet Commander Vice Admiral Andrew Burns.

“Those threats are constantly evolving – and we must adapt and improve not to match them, but to defeat them decisively. This upgrade to Sea Viper ensures the Type 45 destroyer remains the world’s leading air defence warship, protecting not just Royal Navy vessels but also our allies operating alongside us.”

The investment follows recent contracts awarded to introduce Sea Ceptor – already fitted to Type 23 frigates and being installed on successor Type 26 warships – increasing the Daring class’ missile arsenal by 50 per cent from 48 to 72.

Lieutenant Commander Stephen Ashley, weapon engineer officer on HMS Duncan – the most advanced Type 45 in the Fleet following her recently-completed refit – said all six ships in the class would benefit tremendously from the missile upgrades.

“The ability to almost double the size of the missile outload on a Type 45 will be a real game changer for ships facing near-peer adversaries, particularly with the surface mode offered by Ceptor which will significantly bolster our ability to defeat fast-attack craft,” he explained.

“The new maritime ballistic missile defence capability will really increase our ability to operate freely in the more hostile parts of the world, as we can now see and engage these high-end missiles. It will also deepen our role with NATO as we can now integrate into the wider allied ballistic missile defence network.”

For photos see - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... rxd7FE_qCk
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

RFA Tidespring, HMS Daring with HMS Dauntless at Cammell Lairds Shipyard, Birkenhead Merseyside....a stones throw from where I lived.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Dauntless

Ready for sea date inspection.
Thank you to the Commander of the Surface Flotilla for visiting us in Birkenhead.

[Note CIWS now fitted]

See - https://twitter.com/HMSDauntless/status ... 8147077121
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

"Underway on MTU diesel power”

770 days after arriving for inaugural Type 45 engine upgrade work (Power Improvement Project) HMS Dauntless leaves Cammell Laird shipyard this morning. (Complete with RAF Typhoon flypast)
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout

4 Type 45 destroyers at sea today - only HMS Defender fully operational but definite progress towards greater availability.
Pelican

Re: Royal Navy Destroyers: Daring Class Type 45

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Dauntless back at sea after two years with engines fixed

HMS Dauntless is the first ship to receive fixes designed to end the power issues that had impacted the availability of the Type 45 Destroyer fleet.

See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-dau ... FV76fOlqus

And - https://www.navylookout.com/putting-the ... rspective/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

British Navy Demonstrates HMS Defender Capabilities

The Royal Navy demonstrated the capabilities of its Type 45 destroyer HMS Defender during Exercise Baltic Operations 22 in the Baltic Sea.

In a Twitter video, the billion-pound warship showed off its Mk 8 naval gun and Phalanx miniguns.

The gun reportedly fired 35 rounds continuously in one minute and 31 seconds.

“Our Phalanx close-in weapon system provides the final inner layer air defence, but also has a formidable anti-surface mode,” the post stated.

Continues at - https://www.thedefensepost.com/2022/06/ ... -defender/

Link from Tim.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy looking to accelerate Type 45 Destroyer repairs

The Defence Committee has published correspondence from the Ministry of Defence responding to questions from the Committee on the Navy and Naval procurement.
The correspondence follows the Committee’s report “We are going to need a bigger Navy” and the subsequent Government response.
Of particular interest to me, is the confirmation that two streams of the Type 45 PIP will now be carried out concurrently.

The Defence Committee asked:
“The timings given In the response for the Type 45 PIPs add to our concern that the programme is slipping. For two ships the length of the programme has been extended beyond 12 months…Since that response, the Government has said it is now looking at accelerating the programme. Does this mean a change to the predicted timings for the PIP given in the response? What other options are the Government and industry considering to address the Industrial capacity Issues that were Identified in the response as a constraint on the PIP programme?”

The Government replied:
“Since our response to your report, good progress has been made on the Type 45 Power and Improvement Project (PIP). HMS DAUNTLESS has successfully completed PIP harbour integration trials at Cammell Laird and is on schedule to sail for sea trials in June 2022. HMS DARING’S PIP conversion Is making progress at Cammell Laird and is forecast to complete by December 2022. HMS DARING will then be towed to Portsmouth and go into dock for planned maintenance and recertification.

Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/royal-n ... qY-NpAGag8
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS DUNCAN has been in out of Portsmouth like a lighthouse over the past few days.

See - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 72/photo/1
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”