Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force

Add your posts about Other Navies, not already listed, here
Pelican

Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force

Unread post by Pelican »

How times have changed
"Type 23 frigate HMS Northumberland has welcomed two Japanese warships to the UK as part of a Royal Navy and Royal Air Force greeting party.
Sailors stood on HMS Northumberland’s port forecastle to meet training vessel JDS Kashima (leading the formation) and the Takanami-class destroyer JDS Makinami.
The formation joined forces in the North Sea off the coast of Lincolnshire, where they conducted various combined manoeuvres (a PASSEX or passage exercise), as well as a spot of ‘buzzing’ by fast-jets: an RAF Typhoon and a Hawk were also dispatched for a combination of training and the chance to record the Anglo-Japanese link-up on camera.
While Britain’s flagship HMS Albion has just spent two months in Japanese waters, mixing exercises with her hosts and the US Navy with high-profile port visits, notably to the capital Tokyo, the Japanese Maritime Self Defence Force has sent two ships in the opposite direction on a six-month global deployment."
Continues including photos at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... hips-to-uk
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
designeraccd

Re: Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force

Unread post by designeraccd »

While on the subject of the JMSDF, one should not forget they have 4 of the world's LARGEST "destroyers"! AKA DDHs........

The 2 KAGAs are almost the size of WW2 USN ESSEX class CVs. :) DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
designeraccd

The newest Aegis type DDG, the MAYA, was recently launched and is now fitting out. I wonder how she would compare to the IJN's MAYA of WW2 for survivability? Of course, that heavy cruiser went down to USN sub torpedoes! DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

My she's a big girl , and looks menacing enough to cause a stir , thanks for bringing it to our notice Dennis .....your quite a sleuth on the quite aren't you ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
designeraccd

I keep hunting for more ships to model!! :lol:

The soon to be 6 Aegis type Japanese DDGs plus the nearby Aegis units of the ROKN amount to a potent group in that part of the world. The PLANmay be larger, but I sure would not bet against either the JMSDF or ROKN in a combat situation.

It will be interesting to see if the 2 KAGAs are "converted" to CVLs with F-35Bs on board. DFO
ivorthediver

more power to your elbow , perhaps in the fulness of time this might be recognised and seen as correct eh ;)
designeraccd

Different types and sizes of warships are designed to provide a well balanced fleet for Japanese needs. Here are some other, and less expensive DDGs than their Aegis units or "DDHs". Their earlier DDHs (like the HIEI) did appear to be such a destroyer, not a aircraft carrier!! ;) DFO
ivorthediver

Again excellent photo's Dennis , and my thanks for sharing them with us again , most grateful for both your kind heartedness and thoughtfulness towards others , who may not have had the benefit of viewing these yet .

I know we are a club of two at present , but that will change and these will be much sought after from this side of the pond , so as there to thoughtless to say thank you .....I'll say it for them .

VERY GRATEFUL FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK DENNIS
designeraccd

Thanks, glad to put the pics up for others to see and enjoy. Being a long way from either ocean the only way I can now "see" warships is through photos! :D DFO
ivorthediver

Nice looking vessels , not so sure of their capability thou Dennis as not familiar with these ......have they proven ability .

Last picture looks like they are in competition with local tour boat operators :P
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Navies”