Hi Shipmates, old Cylla here

Introduce yourself!
James b

Hi Shipmates, old Cylla here

Unread post by James b »

It been some time since we lost WNSF , and I pleased to find many of you still around , as we get older , time waits for no sailor .
I am still in some decent health , thoe I am my wife's carer these days ... and getting a dab hand at it too ..
I still write up the odd Dit , and I have all the old ones I wrote on WNSF saved on my puter ..

James b aka cylla
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raleigh..Cambridge..St Vincent ..CHICHESTER.Bellerophon {H.M.S BELFAST} ..Excellent .Pembroke...MOHAWK ..SCYLLA
R.N.H Stonehouse ..Rooke.[ARLINGHAM]...Drake..
Discharged 1st Dec 75
ivorthediver

Re: Hi Shipmates, old Cylla here

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Welcome back on board James , glad you found your way here safe and sound .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Karen

Unread post by Karen »

Welcome back James, let’s get our Forum buddies back..
There’s Nothing A British Boy Cannot Do
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Great to have you onboard to steady the ship :D

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
James b

Unread post by James b »

This my own account of my life after leaving the Navy .... but I never lost the taste of salt ....

1st Dec 1975. I left the mob, and closed the door of the days I had in the Royal Navy. Between 1970 /1972,on Scylla , I had been my last adventure at sea, during the rest of my days , I just bid my time in shore base’s getting quite numbers all the time [ did get a year’s free holiday in Rooke on top of the first year , with the wife ].
While I worked my self, the rest of my days, I still had a taste of salt in my mouth, it never left me …all that discipline stayed with in me.
After 7 years, In 1982 the Falkland war kicked off, and it was during a day in May I woke and went down stairs to mark up the morning paper rounds up, When I had the most weird time ever, going down stairs, I had a “out of the body “feeling .. I could not see myself any more, till I got to the bottom of the stairs .. and the rest of day was weird too.
Then the next day I read, that we had taken a hammering, and lost a good many lads …. This has laid in my mind throughout my life time, to this day didn’t my guardian angel know I had left the navy …

During the 90, s we brought our first computer, to print off all the price tickets for our shop.
Then during the 2000, s we got the internet, and things changed again.
It was in 2004 that I saw my last ship “Scylla “on my computer, being sunk …
And that open the door again, to my days in the Royal Navy.
I had now semi-retired, after working for myself all these years, and now only worked only part time till 2012 ....
and I joined a web site, called “service’s reunited “and spent hours reading ditts off other guys. And seeing lots of photos, which many had been during my years in the Navy
And later, I joined other web sites, during those years.
Looking over all the old photos in my dit box, I began to recall all the times and days, throughout my 10 years. and wrote it all up, while my mind was still fresh [ I could not do it now ]
Then after about 10 years, all the sites went down, due to progress again in the internet age, and so I joined “Face Book “ .. and in the space of 4 years, my life has changed again … so many memories, so many names …and ships I had lived on, come flooding back …..
With progress getting even better , I meet a shipmate who could do paintings on his computer [ well what next ] and so I sent him a photo , and he made a painting of it , and it was my 70th birthday present of Scylla entering Malta for the first time 1970, and I was on the upper deck at the time , and now it sits pride and place on my wall , and so we have a full circle of my life .
What will come next, I say to myself ….
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raleigh..Cambridge..St Vincent ..CHICHESTER.Bellerophon {H.M.S BELFAST} ..Excellent .Pembroke...MOHAWK ..SCYLLA
Discharged 1st Dec 75
James b

Unread post by James b »

Looking over my shoulder , from Jan 66 to May 68...…... [ 2 and a half years ].. I had been to 7 ships .*****.then I got the hang of it . from May 68 to Dec 75 ..[7 and a half years ]………..i had been on ONLY 4 ships .. THOSE wonderful years.. You could never repeat those years again , in his time of 2000..
Discharged 1st Dec 75
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

James b wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:57 am Looking over my shoulder , from Jan 66 to May 68...…... [ 2 and a half years ].. I had been to 7 ships .*****.then I got the hang of it . from May 68 to Dec 75 ..[7 and a half years ]………..i had been on ONLY 4 ships .. THOSE wonderful years.. You could never repeat those years again , in his time of 2000..
I only had 3 seagoing drafts in 11 years, but great times on all of them, Ark Royal, Undaunted and Exmouth. Rest of time on shore bases, courses, etc.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
James b

Unread post by James b »

Hi Jim , I just took the total of ships and shore bases to gather , for the years added up .. but like your self , I had 3 ships in all .Chichester , Mohawk ,Scylla , being sea going drafts and Arlingham . all so sea going [R.A ] in Gib ...I think we had a decent run between our selfs ..
Discharged 1st Dec 75
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Introductions”