Naval Tug ? Mk2

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
Little h

Re: Naval Tug ? Mk2

Unread post by Little h »

Ivor, as oft said 'every day is a learning day' matey.

I didn't know the modellers used the same terminology for subjects relating to their models in the same manner as that used for the full size vessel thus the tethered trial as opposed to 'bollard pull' :oops:

Most likely I would never have offered up the possibility had not read the mention the voltage and current metering provision on the bridge - and having that provision I thought they might be sufficiently visible as to allow for 'easy' reading from the waters edge - ah well nothing ventured eh!
Little h
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Pleased all went well Ivor. Your ingenious invention is worthy of a genious and pleased it lessons the burden at launch and recovery.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Little h

Re. Performance Stats/Records; just wondered if the motor manufacturer had an Apple (or similar) app that would provide you with an instant or a historical record of the tug performance per outing. A bit like fitbit and/or the apps used by cyclists (on and off-road).

That's it for now - grey matter burnout imminent ;)
Little h
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well thank you both for your valued and well intentioned advice which Im sure will bare fruit if I can find a manner with which to apply/ develop it .

The journey continues to provide mind provoking information which is the seed for future fruit in modelling in the most unlikely of formats .....

Most of todays model electrickory is aimed at drones and planes with only a passing thought on model boats , which provides the software for engine temp's , battery power remaining, compass point and altitude , signal strength, retracting undercarts etc to mention just a few that we have mentioned in passing , on the downside these all require power and connectivity to the receiver / Transmitter , on the other side of the coin the most popular Transmitters [6 channel] have alternatives to mop up channel servo's like fire pumps, Deck lighting ,winch's, derricks, sound systems, Smoke generators radar motors , deck cranes, Gun turrets , anchor winch's , so its swings and roundabouts depending on your chosen discipline, but at least all I have to do is apply a bit of " left hand down a bit" to bring your model safely alongside rather than finding a rapid landing site ..........some you win....... others you lose . :(

One such supplier is ACTion model' which is now owned by Componentshop.com , which I tend to use[ earnt by care and sympathy] over my modelling days [ but others also exist] , if you get a chance Harry have a look at their websites and I think even a electricity wizard like you would be surprised at .....but depends how deep your pockets stretch if your involved ....but I think you will be surprised .

Again my thanks for looking in and supporting me .... :oops:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Little h

ivorthediver wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:43 pm Well thank you both for your valued and well intentioned advice which Im sure will bare fruit if I can find a manner with which to apply/ develop it .

The journey continues to provide mind provoking information which is the seed for future fruit in modelling in the most unlikely of formats .....

Most of todays model electrickory is aimed at drones and planes with only a passing thought on model boats , which provides the software for engine temp's , battery power remaining, compass point and altitude , signal strength, retracting undercarts etc to mention just a few that we have mentioned in passing , on the downside these all require power and connectivity to the receiver / Transmitter , on the other side of the coin the most popular Transmitters [6 channel] have alternatives to mop up channel servo's like fire pumps, Deck lighting ,winch's, derricks, sound systems, Smoke generators radar motors , deck cranes, Gun turrets , anchor winch's , so its swings and roundabouts depending on your chosen discipline, but at least all I have to do is apply a bit of " left hand down a bit" to bring your model safely alongside rather than finding a rapid landing site ..........some you win....... others you lose . :(

One such supplier is ACTion model' which is now owned by Componentshop.com , which I tend to use[ earnt by care and sympathy] over my modelling days [ but others also exist] , if you get a chance Harry have a look at their websites and I think even a electricity wizard like you would be surprised at .....but depends how deep your pockets stretch if your involved ....but I think you will be surprised .

I've had a rapid browse through the ACTion Model and Componentshop.com site(s), also Model Boats site article titled "But I don't understand Electronics!" and I am left with an early opinion that suggest if only someone would come up with a Model Boat Live (on-line) Power Analyser App' .... then they/he/you would be on to a winner. Instant live data direct to your iPhone or historical data direct to your iPhone or Computer and job done.
Little h
ivorthediver

Little h wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:23 pm
ivorthediver wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:43 pm Well thank you both for your valued and well intentioned advice which Im sure will bare fruit if I can find a manner with which to apply/ develop it .

I've had a rapid browse through the ACTion Model and Componentshop.com site(s), also Model Boats site article titled "But I don't understand Electronics!" and I am left with an early opinion that suggest if only someone would come up with a Model Boat Live (on-line) Power Analyser App' .... then they/he/you would be on to a winner. Instant live data direct to your iPhone or historical data direct to your iPhone or Computer and job done.
Thanks Harry , Yes I also have a copy of that publication by Dave Milbourn which I often refer to and was very helpful in the early stages of my involvement with models along with "The Complete Marine Radio Control Manual " by Hugh Bright which was very informative .
ivorthediver

Well as stated elsewhere I went to the model boat show and finally managed to find some 1/25 scale crew models which with a little adaption and surgery could well be the basis for a new crew on Lady Karen , and more to the point they "look "Naval and without slanted eyes as well , so that will keep me busy for a week getting them ready :oops:
ivorthediver

Well weather permitting and health allowing off to the lake to see if all my efforts are even noticed , :) but always grateful for you looking in to see whats afloat so to speak .

Hope fully my efforts will bare fruit and I will get back happier than I departed .... :roll:

Thanks for looking in gang ..............................................
ivorthediver

Well apart from having decided to make a start on remaking the Bridge structure of the Lady Karen , I have as I said made up a set of new profiles and remade the outline so will be off the water for a short while .

My Darling wife bought me a soldering station for Christmas so that will help me in stripping down the old fittings for transferring to the new Bridge , and I had a wonderful event which quite took me by surprise in that a fellow member offered me some plastic and Brass section he had accumulated over the years and he is moving north and wanted to streamline his luggage removal and offered me these items , FOC and I was amazed at the range of shapes and sizes the had hoarded .

When I went around to collect it I offered to pay him but he declined and said as long as its put to good use he was happy to see the back of it ...

As the saying goes " What goes around , comes around ".....and its so refreshing to meet this kind of soul as like me you probably think that this types disappeared of the face of the earth ..... and most want something for nothing ......kindness indeed , and I wish him well in his new location and future , and he has allowed me to rebuild it in the manner I was unable to build it first time around bless him .

I will try to take a couple of shots of it as it progresses , and whilst it will be entirely scratch built the design / form is in my head so all I can say is it should prove to be rewarding and entertaining for me , and allow for greater detail to be formed ......... :oops:

Thanks for looking in
ivorthediver

Well its progressing slowly folks , but taking shape , and so far it is taking form , but no photo's that could be set up as they would prove embarrassing , but this year has been full of other distractions which have prevented progress at the pace I had hoped for ......such is life .......what with health issues and family distractions which I am hoping are now finding a more stable course to follow .

Thanks for looking in
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”