Naval Tug ? Mk2

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
ivorthediver

Re: Naval Tug ? Mk2

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Thats something I have been exploring Jim but not quite sure how to implement it as they vary from pond weed to what we call horses main weed which is long and viscous in appearance and of course floating fibre / wood / reed .

I have been bouncing all sorts around in the form of angled deflectors but of course all these will have a drag coefficient to trade off which again will load the speed and draft in shallow waters nearer the shoreline , but yes the worst would be fibrous flotsam .
At present a stags horn type fitting has the edge but fitting it to the hull could raise structural issues :(

Even course gaze wold rapidly block up near pond weed which can be in dense patchiest clumps :?
I don't think their is a quick answer but I will work on it and tugs aren't planing vessels which tends to move it out of the way when vessels like Greyfleet are planning :roll:
but thanks for the suggestion and looking in to help so if you can think of others please let me know
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

Ok I think I might have found a solution to the weed problem Jim .

Viewed from the stern the two Kort's cylinders now have a "Wing" fitted parallel to the hull bottom which extend past the radius of the Kort which seem to be able to deflect the flotsam from being ingested so I fitted them and took her out yesterday and nothing was wrapped around the props, when it returned to the shoreline . :D
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Great work Ivor, I have forwarded your name for an innovation award :D

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

BZ to you ITD; so you now have a custom made transom flap/'wing' uniquely fitted fwd of the Korts.

Guess you are not about to re-engineer so that you can have a remotely controlled variable pitch transom flap/'wing' ;)
Little h
ivorthediver

Innovative I might be lads but only on a base level , but thanks for the kind thoughts :oops:
ivorthediver

I was fortunate enough to be invited to Little Paxton Lakes near St Neots last Wednesday and had a great time .
Whilst these lakes are collectively larger than our Cambridge base lake they are spread over a larger area .
Put the boats in the water and tried everything out , then went for a coffee at the car , having tied the model loosely thinking all would be fine , only to return and the tug had disappeared :o .
Not knowing the lake very well thought that the model had been nicked but there is only one entrance :oops: .
Scouring the banks we found that the boat had been blown to the far side of the lake but being bow on .....very difficult to see .
Once discovered that it was about 700' away and very carefully steering her back she finally made it ashore none the worse for her " wind sailing " adventure .
Encountered some " Horse main" weed on the trip which slowed her progress , but put it in reverse and blow the flotsam out and then proceeded .
Spent the rest of the day chugging around the lake and exploring the perimeter , did a bollard pull and a "Tug" of war with my friends model tug which whilst fitted with props considerably larger than mine [ 72mm against my 52mm ] Lady Karen still held her own and promptly dragged her rival astern and gathered speed with out any effort which I put down to the Kort drives . :D

Experience being a fine tutor I have now made a grappling hook and line which is tethered to the stern winch , which will be payed out like a painter on the shoreline when I next visit this clubs lake ;)
jbryce1437

Good work Ivor. Next coffee break, remember to turn the auto pilot off :D

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Well I must admit I was panicking until I saw that the TX was still where I left it :o Jim then started looking in hope .
ivorthediver

Well today saw the completion of the final installation of the largest possible direct reduction gear drive transmission system able to fit in the Lady Karen .

This comprises of two 800 series " Torpedo" Engine from MFA driving a 2.5-1 toothed belt drive reduction gearing , which resulted in a "gut out" of the engine room to squeeze these brutes in :o
[Imagines two cans of coke and you get an appreciation of the motor size which has independent flywheels belt driven at the back of each of these unit's ] :oops:

I made up some new motor mounts to give me the 12 degree slope to align with the installed prop shafts angle in the hull and beefed them up with hardwood stiffeners and glued them onto the plywood engine room floor .

I copied all the wiring schematic colour coding thinking that this would avoid any reversal of prop rotation and sat back smugly patting myself on the back .............WRONG ! , :roll: ......I had overlooked the fact that the configuration of the motors final drive is in this set up reversed :oops: ........so once I sorted that out and reversed the wiring all worked well

Now looking forward to basin trials on the lake soon , as I have run them in.... and they purrr like cats when on tick over so she will be no slouch in future and pull most things she is tasked with .
jbryce1437

Sounds complicated Ivor. Hope you got it right in the end and good luck with the basin trials.

Jim
Retired since 2002
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”