Naval Tug ? Mk2

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
ivorthediver

Re: Naval Tug ? Mk2

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Hmmm some how the old adage.... never kid a kidder..... emerges from the bowels of the deep ............one could offer the comment that it was" such a fine fitting petard which flatters your figure" , but alas I suspect that such a superfluous comment would be wasted on such as you Harry , as past experience has shown you to be unmoved by complimentary diversions demeanour or your ego :? ....

Well back to the drawing board it seams ....no piece for the wicked :shock:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

Today I'll unravel the wiring and attempt to fit the micro wires and see how much luck I have this time ;)
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

I don't want to put any ideas into your head Ivor, but ......................
boys will be boys.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Norway :o .......... is to far away for me Jim...........I'd run out of victuals and tots long before I got there... and I only salvage vessels still on the surface..... as I sold my diving kit a while ago now :( but thanks for thinking of me :)

I have finally managed to complete the rewiring saga ,but using 36 awg teflon coated [0.014mm thin ] wire is not to be recommended , but sufficient for Led's , and fitted a new "Atlas" 5 Ton crane to replace the mechanised block and tackle that I originally fitted :roll: ,...... and now fitted / activated the after deck floodlights so when I use the crane I don't accidentally drag a fitting off the deck :o

As I told Dennis , my models , being working models, are under what seems to be permanent refit schedules .........with back to back projects looming up every now and then ......but as Karen says it keeps me quite and occupied [ far better than being a registered bicycle seat sniffer ] and keeps me out of mischief 8-)
ivorthediver

jbryce1437 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:52 pm I don't want to put any ideas into your head Ivor, but ......................

boys will be boys.jpg
Incidentally , without telling you how to suck eggs Jim, the RN used quite a few paddle boat tugs due to their tight turning capabilities whilst carrying out harbour duties
jbryce1437

ivorthediver wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:21 pm
jbryce1437 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:52 pm I don't want to put any ideas into your head Ivor, but ......................

boys will be boys.jpg
Incidentally , without telling you how to suck eggs Jim, the RN used quite a few paddle boat tugs due to their tight turning capabilities whilst carrying out harbour duties
Yes Ivor, the paddlers were ideal for Carrier work. I remember them well and, growing up alongside the river, watched the paddle tugs at ship launches on the River Wear. I even managed to get a trip out to sea on the Eppleton Hall dumping colliery waste (I was as sick as a dog the whole trip) - she is now preserved in San Francisco.

Jim

Eppleton Hall at Sunderland
eppleton hall.jpg

RMAS Dexterous
rmas dexterous.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Over the years I have seen a couple of Paddlers , but quite apart from the drive system they are bad travellers to the waters edge and suffer more than normal models .

The Paddles can't be purchased and need to be scratch built , which is no hardship but remain flimsy and easily damaged due to their width across the hull where the paddles are housed . :(

The drive train is relatively easy to build and not normally an issue .
ivorthediver

This last week I have been refurbishing the canted upper section of the Superstructure as if I'm honest wasn't pleased with the way in which the angled sides had blistered due to air bubbles beneath the mock photoelectric panels [ originally formed in mate black self adhesive film ]

So what to replace it with was the question :roll:

I thought of all sorts of materials from more of the same , which was the lightest , to small sections of acrylic sheet cut to shape and fitted ,which would appear as a 3D panel , but ended up using small pieces of reworked modellers cutting mat which are about 1/8" thick and again give a 3D appearance when shaped and fitted once painted black .

So having chosen the material I made them the right shape , and painted / fitted them , and whilst everything was in such a pickle I repainted the surrounding area to brighten it up but not to much or it would lose its weathered look .

Having gone thus far removed the adjacent blue laminate coach stripe and the background of the DAMON logo and once cleaned up I decided to invest in some replacement flat brushes and repaint the blue coach line and funnel flank which looks much better now that there are no bubbles beneath the laminate which formed over the last year or so .

Not quite sure what caused the blistering effect , as it may have been the top coat which was a Tamia paint over the base which was a spray paint[ both of which were acrylic] and to which the self adhesive film may have reacted , but hey ho the result was the same
So one side is done and next week I'll do the other .

Invariably when modelling I think of dear old Sandy and could here him saying "Waste Not Want Not " and dig in your odds and sods diddy box which I did and found the discarded strip of cutting mate which us hoarding modellers keep "In case it might come in handy" what non modellers would call rubbish , but it has saved my bacon many a time [ not to mention money .......WHO SAID THAT :x ]

I'll take a photo when its done to give you an idea of what I'm babbling on about ,....thanks for looking in :)
jbryce1437

Always busy Ivor ;-) Glad that you are pleased with the finished article - its amazing what you can do on a shoe string budget :-)

Jim
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

AH you've been speaking to Karen I see :roll:

Well I'm like you retired...[and in my case retarded ;) ] and have many wish lists so have to cut to suit the cloth available , but in fairness she is very patient with me :oops:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”