RN other topics

Post anything about Marine Engineering on this thread
ivorthediver

Re: RN other topics

Unread post by ivorthediver »

I agree and if you know anyone that did serve and mention these you can see their face change as they cringe in disbelief .
We on here know better I hope but it is entertaining and at least profiles our Navy , and if our advisories chose to believe it all to the good eh !
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

oldsalt wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:40 pm Did anyone see the new TV warship programme? It's unbelievable, the Captain changing his own bedding, given to him by his kids. The dramatics caused by the sight ofa Russian ship, God knows how they would have coped in the real Cold War of the 50's & 60's. In Hecla we were shadowed by a Russian destroyer in the Arctic Circle, they were only a few hundred yards away, or the occassion when a Russian almost collided with Ark Royal. My heart bled for the Chef who had to miss phoning his Mum each day, I know she wasn't well, but it was for only a couple of days. The mystery in these Tv programmes is that they have found a way of moving the ship without engines, they never mention the machinery or venture into machinery spaces. Maybe It's because I am getting on a bit & it is nearly 50 years since I left the mob, but watching these programmes my heart sinks.
Its a different world in more ways than one O.S. - part P.R., part Recruiting film[s] etc.
Were Q.E. and the Russian spy ship actually moving during that scene?
See - http://lewin-of-greenwich-naval-history ... &start=190
And - https://www.navylookout.com/hms-northum ... submarine/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy stoker with 21 years service nicknamed “Popeye”, photographed on board the HMS Rodney in September 1940. A stoker was responsible for anything from the propulsion systems to hydraulics, electrical, and firefighting systems. HMS Rodney played a major role in the sinking of the German battleship Bismarck in mid-1941. Credit: Jecinci
Gaining over 49,000 likes, this colorization became the 3rd most liked photo of the History Colored Instagram in 2021.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

Oh dear Pelican ! THE HMS, never,never!
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

oldsalt wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:32 am Oh dear Pelican ! THE HMS, never,never!
Could'nt agree more O.S. but this was a hasty copy and paste post due lack of time available - so better than nothing? :oops:
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

Accepted, Sir.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Stokers Thread”