RN Aircraft Carriers: Colossus Class 1942

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Brian James

Re: RN Aircraft Carriers: Colossus Class 1942

Unread post by Brian James »

Colossus Class Aircraft Carrier HMS Glory pictured at Port Melbourne in 1946.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Colossus Class Light Fleet Carrier HMS Theseus pictured c1952.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Re: Aircraft Carriers: Colossus Class 1942

Colossus Class Light Fleet Carrier HMS Glory pictured as she returns Canadian POWs to Esquimalt in 1945.
Blackbat242

Unread post by Blackbat242 »

designeraccd wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:12 pm Let's not forget the TRIUMPH; very useful as a repair ship. :) DFO
ivorthediver wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:20 pm OK I'll bite , repairing What Dennis , spring washers , bulldog clips , pencil sharpeners , paper clips :o

Seriously what did she repair and why was she diverted from her intended use please :roll:

OK - it seems no one answered you, so I will.

She was basically a heavy repair shop for the ships of the Far East Fleet - fixing everything that could be removed from another ship and craned aboard her - pumps, steam turbine components, etc. She had full machine shops for fabrication of parts etc - basically a small shipyard-in-a-can.
Her trained repairmen also went aboard other ships to carry out en-situ repairs that the ship's company could not (or needed assistance with).

HMS Triumph was placed into reserve in 1955 (having served in combat in Korea in 1950, then for training, transport, etc duties). She was then converted into a "Heavy Repair Ship" from Dec. 1957 (as the major work on HMS Victorious finished) - with work suspended between 1960/62 and completed c Aug 1964. After post-conversion sea trials she recommissioned as a Fleet Repair Ship at HMNB Portsmouth on 7 Jan 1965.

She then headed to Singapore for duty as "Fleet Repair Ship", where she would remain until 1971, when she returned to the UK.
She was refit from Mar. 1972 to Dec. 1975, then placed into reserve, where she remained until being placed on the disposal list in 1980 (sold to a Spanish scrapping firm in Dec. 1981).

HMS Triumph Hong Kong `65
HMS Triumph HK `65.jpg
Triumph 1.jpg
Triumph pic4.jpg
HMS TRIUMPH-R16-8-1944-1981T.jpg
HMS Triumph prior to RN withdrawal from Singapore
HMS Triumph prior to RN withdrawal from Singapore.jpg
SGT USMC '81-'89 VMA(AW)-121, VMA(AW)-242, CV-61 AIMD
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

Sorry Ivor, I over looked your question @ the TRIUMPH. Fortunately her role as a repair ship was now amply explained!!! :)

The pics used to illustrate her far surpassed the few I have :o DFO
Brian James

Colossus Class Light Fleet Carrier HMS Glory pictured at Vancouver in 1945.
Brian James

RN Aircraft Carriers: Colossus Class 1942

Colossus Class Light Fleet Carrier HMS Theseus seen here in 1947,in her role as Flagship of 1st Aircraft Carrier Squadron (They were Formidable, Indomitable, Victorious, Illustrious and Indefatigable. It was disbanded in 1947.)
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

H.M.S. FORMIDABLE

Dear Members, the following is self explanatory, if necessary I can act as a link to Terry.

The following photos are courtesy of an old school mate, David Brett. His wife's Uncle, Albert Heselgrave, served on HMS Formidable during WW2. She is not sure of who he is in the small group photo. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Terry.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Brian James

Colossus Class Light Fleet Carrier HMS Perseus pictured in her role as an Aircraft Maintenance Carrier.Built at Vickers Armstrong Yards,Newcastle-upon-Tyne in 1944.She was initially named HMS Edgar, but she was renamed in 1944 when the Admiralty decided to convert her into an Aircraft Maintenance Carrier. She was completed in 1945, after the end of World War II, and she made a trip to Australia late in the year. Upon her return to the UK in early 1946, Perseus was placed in reserve. The ship was recommissioned in 1950 to serve as the trials ship for the steam catapult then under development. Over 1,600 test launches were conducted before the catapult was removed in 1952 and she was converted for use as a ferry carrier to transport aircraft, troops and equipment overseas. She was reduced to reserve again in 1954 and sold for scrap in 1958.
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

here is one I saved from the old forum, but not the story with it.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”