RN Aircraft Carriers: Colossus Class 1942

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Brian James

Re: RN Aircraft Carriers: Colossus Class 1942

Unread post by Brian James »

Colossus Class Light Fleet Carrier HMS Ocean pictured preparing to launch a raid on Pyongyang,July 11th 1952.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Colossus Class Light Fleet Carrier HMS Theseus pictured at Port Melbourne on July 11th 1947.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Colossus Class Carrier HMS Glory pictured as she departs Waitemata Harbour,NZ, with aircraft and vehicles of No. 14 Squadron RNZAF bound for Japan on March 8th 1946.
Brian James

Colossus Class Light Fleet Carrier HMS Vengeance pictured with her embarked De Havilland Sea Hornet NF.21s in 1950...The Hornet NF.21 was designed to fill a need for a naval night fighter. Special flame-dampening exhausts were installed, and a second basic cockpit was added to the rear fuselage, just above the wing trailing edges. ASH radar equipment was placed in the rear of this cockpit, with the radar operator/navigator seated facing aft. To gain access, a small trapdoor was provided in the lower fuselage; a fixed, teardrop-shaped bubble canopy, which could be jettisoned in an emergency, provided a good field of view. At the front of the aircraft, the nose underwent a transformation with the small rotating ASH radar dish being housed under an elongated 'thimble' radome. The horizontal tail units were increased in span.
Brian James

Colossus Class Light Fleet Carrier HMS Glory pictured as she departs Waitematā Harbour, NZ with Corsair aircraft and vehicles of No. 14 Squadron RNZAF bound for Japan on March 8th 1946.
Brian James

Colossus Class Light Fleet Carrier HMS Glory pictured entering Sydney in 1945.
Brian James

Colossus Class Light Fleet Carrier HMS Glory pictured at Sydney in 1947...After the surrender at Rabaul, she assisted in the retaking of Hong Kong, and then sailed to Australia and Canada in the British equivalent of Operation Magic Carpet. She returned to the United Kingdom in 1947 and was then placed in reserve. In November 1949, she was taken out of reserve and fully returned to service just over a year later in December 1950.
Glory then deployed to Korea in April 1951 for the first of three wartime deployments. The first deployment ended in September of that year, but Glory was back on station from January to May 1952 and November 1952 to May 1953. After the very active service of the Korean War, Glory saw out 1954 as a Ferry, Troop Carrier and helicopter base. 1956 saw the end of her active career, as she was placed in reserve. In 1961, Glory was sold to Shipbreakers Tho's W, Ward for scrapping at Inverkeithing.
Brian James

De Havilland DH.103 Sea Hornets with Fairey Firefly aircraft pictured on Colossus Class Light Fleet Carrier HMS Vengeance in My 1950..FAA Test Pilot Eric 'Winkle' Brown describes the Sea Hornet..

"The next two months of handling and deck landing assessment trials were to be an absolute joy; from the outset the Sea Hornet was a winner! The view from the cockpit, positioned right forward in the nose beneath a one-piece aft-sliding canopy was truly magnificent. The Sea Hornet was easy to taxi, with powerful brakes... the takeoff using 25 lb (2,053 mm Hg, 51" Hg) boost and flaps at one-third extension was remarkable! The 2,070 hp (1,540 kW) Merlin 130/131 engines fitted to the prototypes were to be derated to 18 lb (1,691 Hg, 37" Hg) boost and 2,030 hp (1,510 kW) as Merlin 133/134s in production Sea Hornets, but takeoff performance was to remain fantastic. Climb with 18 lb boost exceeded 4,000 ft/min (1,200 m/min)." In level flight the Sea Hornet's stability about all axis was just satisfactory, characteristic, of course, of a good day interceptor fighter. Its stalling characteristics were innocuous, with a fair amount of elevator buffeting and aileron twitching preceding the actual stall...
For aerobatics the Sea Hornet was absolute bliss. The excess of power was such that manoeuvres in the vertical plane can only be described as rocket-like. Even with one propeller feathered the Hornet could loop with the best single-engine fighter, and its aerodynamic cleanliness was such that I delighted in its demonstration by diving with both engines at full bore and feathering both propellers before pulling up into a loop!" Landings aboard Ocean had been made without any crash barrier... Yet, in the case of the Sea Hornet, I had felt such absolute confidence that I was mentally relaxed... Indeed, there was something about the Sea Hornet that made me feel that I had total mastery of it; I revelled in its sleek form and the immense surge of power always to hand...
Circumstances had conspired against the Sea Hornet in obtaining the recognition that it justly deserved as a truly outstanding warplane...in my book the Sea Hornet ranks second to none for harmony of control, performance characteristics and, perhaps most important, in inspiring confidence in its pilot. For sheer exhilarating flying enjoyment, no aircraft has ever made a deeper impression on me than did this outstanding filly from the De Havilland stable.
Brian James

Colossus Class Light Fleet Carrier HMS Venerable pictured departing Port Melbourne in 1945.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Obituary: Commander Allan Tarver, Fleet Air Arm pilot awarded George Medal for trying to save his observer when Sea Vixen forced to ditch. (Flying from HMS Ark Royal in the Indian Ocean, enforcing the Beira Patrol 1966)

See - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/ ... very-navy/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”