Frigates: Hunter Class : based on RN Type 26

Add your posts about the Australian Navy in this section
Pelican

Frigates: Hunter Class : based on RN Type 26

Unread post by Pelican »

Steel cut on new Australian frigates

The design, a modified variant of the same class being built by the UK and Canada, is named the ‘Hunter’ class.
At the Osborne shipyard in South Australia, Minister for Finance, Senator Simon Birmingham, SA Premier Steven Marshall and BAE Systems Australia Chief Executive Gabby Costigan were joined by BAE Systems Maritime Australia employees as Australian steel was cut to officially launch the Hunter program’s prototyping phase.

During prototyping, five representative ship blocks will be manufactured and assembled using Australian steel, and the systems, processes, facilities and workforce competencies will be established and tested, providing a solid operational foundation before construction starts on the first Hunter Class Frigate in 2022.

Continues at:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/steel-c ... r7eG3BxJ5Q
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Re: Frigates: Hunter Class : based on RN Type 26

Unread post by Pelican »

Hunter Class Frigate Program rolls out first prototyping unit

The Hunter Class Frigate Program has successfully completed the structural manufacture of the first prototyping unit.

The 217sqm unit, comprising more than 28 tonnes of Australian steel, has moved from the shipyard’s primary manufacturing hall into the next stage of production where it will be outfitted and consolidated (with the addition of three more units) into the first prototyping block.

The unit is the first to have been blasted, cut and constructed in the new Osborne Naval Shipyard.

Continues, including video, at - https://www.baesystems.com/en-aus/blog/ ... 8072e302f3
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Australian Hunter class frigate Program takes next step

The year-long System Definition Review (SDR), involving work by BAE Systems’ engineering teams in Australia and the UK, has established a new baseline design for the Hunter class frigate and builds on the sovereign complex warship design capability at South Australia’s Osborne Naval Shipyard.

The SDR is the second major evaluation of the ship’s design and demonstrates how it accommodates the range of capabilities required by the Australian Government, including the Aegis and Australian Interface Combat Management Systems, the CEAFAR2 phased array radar and integration of the Seahawk Romeo Maritime Combat Helicopter.

These changes introduce significant leading-edge combat system capability, ready to meet the Royal Australian Navy’s needs.

Continues at - https://www.navyrecognition.com/index.p ... 0Xrr-6vzDg
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout

Excellent in-depth article describing the design process taking the Type 26 reference design and developing it for the 🇦🇺Hunter Class frigates.
Of note: T26 is 7,600 tonnes, Hunter will be 8,800 tonnes (light ship).
See - https://venturaapdr.partica.online/apdr ... nstruction
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Defence head admits ‘teething problems’ in £26-billion Australia warship project

Britain’s head of the armed forces has assured Australia that a troubled British-designed frigate project is on track despite “teething problems”.

The £26-billion-pound project which the British company BAE Systems won the Australian contract for four years ago was under renewed focus during Chief of Defence Staff Admiral Sir Tony Radakin’s visit Down Under.

In an interview with the news service of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC), Sir Tony conceded that the UK’s parent programme was experiencing “teething problems” but insisted the joint project was on track.

Continues at - https://pa.media/blogs/pa-editors-picks ... p-project/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Scathing Audit into Australian Department of Defence Procurement of Hunter Class Frigates Shows a Lack of “Value for Money Focus”

See - https://www.overtdefense.com/2023/05/23 ... ney-focus/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

BAE to equip Australian Hunter class frigates with Mk 45 guns

BAE Systems has received a contract to deliver multiple shipsets of the Mk 45 Medium Caliber Gun and automated Ammunition Handling System (AHS) for the Royal Australian Navy’s new Hunter class frigates.

“We are proud to partner with BAE Systems Maritime Australia to deliver the Mk 45 gun system and Ammunition Handling System to the Royal Australian Navy,” said Brent Butcher, vice president and general manager of Weapon Systems at BAE Systems, Inc.

“The highly reliable Mk 45 system maximizes the lethality of the Hunter class frigates, offers the capability to integrate advanced munitions, and supports additional future technology upgrades. With this system fielded on 11 fleets across the globe, it has proven it offers high-reliability.”

The Mk 45 gun system combines the 5-inch, 62-caliber Mk 45 Mod 4A naval gun with a fully automated AHS that continuously supplies the gun with ammunition, in high sea state conditions, without assistance from the crew.

On their website, BAE say that this automated gun system increases Sailor productivity, reduces risk to Sailor safety, and increases the operational capability of the Mk 45 at sea.

Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/bae-to- ... k-45-guns/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Australian Navy surface combatants review has concluded. Type 26 Hunter class order will be reduced from 9 to 6 frigates in favour of more "tier 2" vessels comprising 11 new general purpose frigates and 6 'large optionally-crewed vessels' (LSOVs).

Independent Analysis into Navy's Surface Combatant Fleet

Independent Analysis into Navy's Surface Combatant Fleet
The Australian Government has released its blueprint for a larger and more lethal surface combatant fleet for the Royal Australian Navy in response to the recommendations made by the Independent Analysis of Navy’s Surface Combatant Fleet.

Australia’s strategic circumstances require a larger and enhanced lethality surface combatant fleet, complemented by a conventionally-armed, nuclear-powered submarine fleet.

Navy’s future surface combatant fleet will be an integral component of Australia’s joint force for operations in the immediate region to ensure the safety and security of our sea lines of communication and maritime trade.

Background
In response to the recommendations of the Defence Strategic Review, the Government initiated an independent analysis of Navy’s surface combatant fleet capability.

See pdf at - https://www.defence.gov.au/about/review ... tant-fleet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Australian Navy”