Remembrance Day

Honour our War Dead here and post your photos of your local Remembrance Day events
Pelican

Re: Remembrance Day

Unread post by Pelican »

The Royal British Legion’s Festival of Remembrance is a commemorative event dedicated to all those that have served and sacrificed from Britain and the Commonwealth. Join Royal British Legion this Saturday 12 November as they reflect on the service of our Armed Forces and honour those who have made the ultimate sacrifice to protect our way of life.
This year, currently serving personnel and veterans from the British Army, RAF and Royal Navy will be paying a special tribute to Her late Majesty The Queen. Plus there will be performances from military bands, including our very own The Bands of HM Royal Marines and special guests such as Luke Evans, Andrea Bocelli, Hannah Waddingham and Marisha Wallace, and a tribute to mark the 40th anniversary of The Falklands.
Watch on Saturday at 9pm on BBC One
Stream on BBC iPlayer anytime from 9pm on Saturday
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

R.N.

Serving personnel from across the Royal Navy will be taking part in this year’s National Service of Remembrance. With family connections with the military, ABs Holly Toms and Owen Pollock are particularly proud to be involved.

Video at - https://www.facebook.com/royalnavy/vide ... 7522181395
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Free travel for Veterans

These images have been posted on Facebook, however, I cannot find any confirmationary info after a brief search on the internet similar to many that were posted last year?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal British Legion

The Royal British Legion’s 2023 Poppy Appeal launches today with our new plastic-free poppy

Made entirely from paper, the plastic-free poppy is available alongside stock of the existing poppy to reduce waste.

Short video at - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA5o50mU3XU

https://www.poppyshop.org.uk/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Nothing more needs to be said. Very pertinent to all returning servicemen.

Hometown Battlefield

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wq0X0bwMp ... r_embedded
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Pelican wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:51 pm Nothing more needs to be said. Very pertinent to all returning servicemen.

Hometown Battlefield

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wq0X0bwMp ... r_embedded
Very moving tribute to the many who suffer mentally following their service to their country. Sadly, it happens to both sides in any conflict, not only to the person who served but to their loved ones as well.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Free nationwide rail travel for veterans and serving personnel attending services of remembrance

Military personnel and veterans attending services of remembrance will be able to travel to and from the events by train for free next month.

The offer will benefit people travelling to and from services anywhere in Britain on Remembrance Sunday on 12 November.

And veterans and serving personnel attending the Remembrance Sunday ceremony at the Cenotaph can travel to any London terminal for free on Saturday 11 November or on the day itself – and be able to return home for free afterwards.

See - https://www.forces.net/heritage/remembr ... q7mVFYcQW0
jbryce1437

Pelican wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:08 pm Free nationwide rail travel for veterans and serving personnel attending services of remembrance

Military personnel and veterans attending services of remembrance will be able to travel to and from the events by train for free next month.

The offer will benefit people travelling to and from services anywhere in Britain on Remembrance Sunday on 12 November.

And veterans and serving personnel attending the Remembrance Sunday ceremony at the Cenotaph can travel to any London terminal for free on Saturday 11 November or on the day itself – and be able to return home for free afterwards.

I reckon a high percentage of veterans have none of these qualifying methods of identification:

Veterans can show a Veterans Railcard, a Veterans Oyster card or other proof of service such as a Ministry of Defence-issued Veterans ID card.

Issuing the Veterans ID card seems to be taking an age

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

jbryce1437 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:23 pm
Pelican wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:08 pm Free nationwide rail travel for veterans and serving personnel attending services of remembrance

I reckon a high percentage of veterans have none of these qualifying methods of identification:

Veterans can show a Veterans Railcard, a Veterans Oyster card or other proof of service such as a Ministry of Defence-issued Veterans ID card.

Issuing the Veterans ID card seems to be taking an age

Jim
I have not heard of any Vet. being issued with one of the 'new I.D. cards' yet Jim.
jbryce1437

Pelican wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:19 am
I have not heard of any Vet. being issued with one of the 'new I.D. cards' yet Jim.[/quote]

At the back of a long queue no doubt

Jim
Retired since 2002
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Remembrance Thread”