Remembrance Day

Honour our War Dead here and post your photos of your local Remembrance Day events
emason

Re: Remembrance Day

Unread post by emason »

A local village tribute.
20211112_113323 (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes
Bill
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

My local war memorial at Southwick, Sunderland, which I will be attending tomorrow with my son - who also served in the Royal Navy.
A lot of work has been done by volunteers around the memorial and it is now looking much better.

Jim
DSC09316a.jpg
DSC09312a.jpg
DSC09313a.jpg
DSC09314a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Remembrance 2021. We will remember them.

As we pay tribute to those who have given their lives in service of their country, here we highlight just one example from the many thousands of sacrifices made by sailors of the Royal Navy.

The hasty deployment of battleships HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse and four destroyers (Force Z) to Singapore in 1941 as a ‘deterrent’ to the Japanese continues to be controversial. Both ships sailed bravely from Singapore, just 2 days after the attack on Pearl Harbour signaled the start of the war against Japan. Lacking air cover, both battleships quickly succumbed to bomb and torpedo attacks on 10th December 1941. Like most disasters, there were many links in the chain of mistakes that led to the loss of so many sailors. Muddled strategy, poor planning, a failure to use intelligence, and the first of several painful lessons for the RN that airpower (and the submarine) signaled the end of the battleship.

The story of this defeat almost 80 years ago has been well told elsewhere but here we remember the men who went down fighting. Officially 840 perished, although the Force Z Survivors’ Association has only managed to identify 763 by name. Some of the survivors, along with thousands of others who served in the Pacific theatre fell into Japanese hands after the fall of Singapore and subsequently died as a result of the appalling treatment of prisoners of war.

Continues, including photos, at - https://www.navylookout.com/remembrance ... r2CplxhuwY
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

LONDON CABBIES YESTERDAY
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
limeybiker

Unread post by limeybiker »

I never knew that, and I lived in London, they certainly deserve a little bit of positive press, they are always being defamed I had a few friends that were black cab drivers, sadly crossed the bar now.
  • Up Spirits
    It’s Tot Time
    somewhere in the World
Yours Aye
Barry and Sharon Lockyer
Sunny Ocala, FL 34476 USA
http://www.barrylockyer.com/[/b]
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Fields of Remembrance

The Tributes planted in our Fields of Remembrance each carry a personal message to someone who lost their life in Service for our country.
Every year we take great care and attention in planting thousands of personal Tributes made by members of the public throughout the UK. We start receiving Tributes for our Fields of Remembrance in September, with the Fields opening in October and November.

Fields of Remembrance 2022
You can find information about the six national fields below, including how to find them and details of the opening services. Please check back on this page for the latest opening information before visiting a Field of Remembrance.

If you would like to request a Tribute Pack, please give our Supporter Care team a call on 0345 845 1945.

SEE ~~~ https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/get-in ... emembrance

And video at - https://twitter.com/PoppyLegion/status/ ... 7871482882
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Poppy
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Remembrance 2022. We will remember them.

See - <https://www.navylookout.com/remembrance ... mber-them/>
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Repost: On Armistice Day, Remembering the German High Seas Fleet Mutinies of 1918

In the US, today is Veteran’s Day, when we honor those who have served in the military. It coincides with Armistice Day, the anniversary of the signing of the armistice which ended World War I, on the 11th hour of the 11th day, of the 11th month of 1918, when the guns finally fell silent after four years of bloody conflict.
Today is a good time to recall the mutiny of the German High Seas Fleet, which played a significant role in finally ending the war. Here is an updated repost of an article from a few years ago about the naval mutinies.

Continues at - <http://www.oldsaltblog.com/2022/11/repo ... more-59908>
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Remembrance Thread”